Apple offers $19.99 bundles, discounts Oscar winners in iTunes Store ahead of the 90th Aca...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2018
In preparation for the 90th Academy Awards in March, Apple has updated the iTunes Store with a variety of discounts for films that have previously won an Oscar, including $19.99 movie bundles based on the categories they triumphed within, as well as numerous others available to buy for less than $10 each.

The main "Award Winning" collections provide four classic movies for $19.99, with each themed on a specific category. Eight bundles are offered, with classic and contemporary collections for Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Actress accompanied by separate bundles for Dramas and Musicals.

The iTunes Store is also listing previous winners from two writing-related categories in its movie store, with all items on the lists priced below $10 individually.

The list of winners for Best Adapted Screenplay on offer for under $10 includes the story of Facebook "The Social Network," as well as "The Imitation Game" starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Kiera Knightly, and classics such as "Kramer Vs. Kramer," "Dances With Wolves," and "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Under Best Original Screenplay Winners, Apple has included the Bill Murray hit "Lost in Translation," "Her," and "Django Unchained" on the list of 28 films that won the category in previous years. "Little Miss Sunshine," "Good Will Hunting," and "The Sting" are other notable films in the collection.

All of the movies on the two lists and the four-film bundles are offered in HD with standard definition versions also available. In many cases for the singular film offers, there are options to rent the film at a lower cost instead of buying it outright.

Apple has also created a page listing films nominated for Academy Awards, which will be handed out on March 4 during a live broadcast on ABC. The nominees page includes links to buy and pre-order films, as well as music nominated for the Best Original Song category, with top contenders including horror "Get Out," Denzel Washington's "Roman J. Israel, Esq.," and Pixar's "Coco."

Award Winning Collections (4 Films) for $19.99 Under $10 - Adapted Screenplay Oscar Winners Under $10 - Best Original Screenplay Oscar Winners

Free Apple TV 4K with 4 months of DirecTV Now

Apple TV 4K

Need an Apple TV 4K to complete your home theater setup? New DirecTV Now subscribers can snap up a free Apple TV 4K when you prepay for four months of the service. Perfect for staying in and watching the movies listed above, the Apple TV 4K is valued at $179, a $40 discount when opting for DirecTV Now's base plan for $35 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Did they create a list of movies available on Netflix? And, then try to sell them each for $10?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I wish there were a way to hide unwanted movies; we procured two or three of the 10 movies for 10 bucks packages Mapple offered a few years ago, and they included a few pieces of utter dreck that we don't intend to watch. If any guests see them, I have to explain "It was part of a package!" I prefer to stream from 2006 iMac so only movies that are downloaded show, but it's not booting right now (despite new 2-terabyte HD; need fresh OS install). 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Dear Mr. Owen:

This promotion appears to be limited to buyers in the United States. That might be worth mentioning in your article.
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you can't see your post, take a minute to re-read our commenting guidelines -- specifically the part about not turning a post political when there is literally no need.
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I wish there were a way to hide unwanted movies; we procured two or three of the 10 movies for 10 bucks packages Mapple offered a few years ago, and they included a few pieces of utter dreck that we don't intend to watch. If any guests see them, I have to explain "It was part of a package!" I prefer to stream from 2006 iMac so only movies that are downloaded show, but it's not booting right now (despite new 2-terabyte HD; need fresh OS install). 

I remember seeing the option to hide purchased apps in iTunes in the past. Maybe check in iTunes to see if you can hide the purchased movies there?
  • Reply 6 of 6

No matter how disappointed I get with the Academy at times for some bone-headed picks, there are really some classics that win Oscars.

I've been craving to watch Casablanca again. I'll probably do it this weekend!