HomePod AppleCare+ costs $39, accidental damage without incurs $279 fee for repair

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple's AppleCare+ extended warranty and accidental damage repair program for the HomePod retails for $39, with a single out-of-warranty repair like accidental damage from a drop otherwise costing the user $279 uncovered, and $39 when under the program.

The checkout process for a HomePod has said since the pre-order process that AppleCare+ coverage extending the warranty to two years, granting a longer customer support window, and providing for reduced-cost out-of-warranty repairs would cost $39. However, a new support document published on Friday breaks down the HomePod repair process, as well as costs associated with the repair.

There are no varying costs associated with different problems with the unit, like there are for a screen versus a battery replacement on an iPhone. Any damage out-of-warranty on a HomePod, like damage from the unit being dropped, or submerged in water will cost the user $279.

Users with AppleCare+ are subject to a $39 fee for up to two accidental damage incidents. AppleCare+ also grants users an express replacement service, where Apple will ship a replacement HomePod to the user in advance of return of the non-functional one. A return of the original HomePod is required within 10 days to avoid additional charges up to and including the cost of a new HomePod.

Apple is offering shipment of a HomePod to a service center, like it offers for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Users who need the device to be shipped, rather than visiting an Apple Store, must pay $19.99 for the service, in addition to any fee associated with the repair.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    That is … somewhat eye-watering. 

Best not drop it then; that’s my advice. 

• Reply 2 of 7
    Still think this device is an IQ test.
    $350 for a mono speaker the size of a roll of toilet paper that cannot be used with an Apple TV and is chained to Apple HW and services. 
    Add in it costs $280 to fix.

I would call that a throwaway speaker from the company that makes throwaway computers, phones and tablets. Apple is fighting Right to Repair everywhere so you can stay on the treadmill and buy your stuff right on schedule.

Not very green Tim. Most e-waste does not get properly recycled- including Apple's stuff.
    zoetmbmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I was going to buy a half-dozen and hang them like Japanese lanterns. I guess I'll put that on hold now.

Not being able to toss them in the dishwasher to clean the dust also makes them a non-starter.

No such problem with Sono kit, and they're not throwaway, amiright? Nobody's complained about them needing repair. Go Green.
    anantksundarammacxpressAirunJae
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I’m not getting this warranty.

I have plain old Bluetooth speakers that I’ve had for 5 years laying around the house. None have landed in water or have been dropped (or moved at all).

My first HomePod to replace a speaker is going in my kitchen where I listen to the most music throughout my day. I have cookbooks just 2ft from my kitchen sink that have never had a splash of water on them despite being around a decade and being man handled more than the speaker. 

Apple does offer their warranty on seemingly everything, so that’s cool I guess. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    $350 for a mono speaker the size of a roll of toilet paper that cannot be used with an Apple TV and is chained to Apple HW and services. 

I would call that a throwaway speaker from the company that makes throwaway computers, phones and tablets. Apple is fighting Right to Repair everywhere so you can stay on the treadmill and buy your stuff right on schedule.

Not very green Tim. Most e-waste does not get properly recycled- including Apple's stuff.
    Any other BS you want to add? Its not a mono speaker. There's more than one speaker inside it. You can push the audio from your AppleTV to Home Pod. Its called AirPlay, ever heard of it?

If its a throwaway to you, then don't buy it. Its more than just a speaker in the end. Its not like this is a cheap device, hardware or price wise.  
    zroger73anantksundaramAirunJaefastasleepRayz2016
  • Reply 6 of 7
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Rayz2016 said:
    That is … somewhat eye-watering. 

Best not drop it then; that’s my advice. 

Yeah, dropping means it's wrecked :-), just like if I drop my camera.

Seems there is some calibration inside with tight tolerances that essentially makes in not repairable at all.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member

Not mono
    Works with Apple TV
    Under warranty costs nothing to fix

Throwaway? You clearly aren’t an Apple user. 

Grow up. That’s my suggestion. 
    macxpressRayz2016