Flat Panel advice needed! BADLY!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am planning on buying a new G4 tower relatively soon. My beige G3 has fallen too far out of date... My question is about going from a CRT to a Flat Panel.

Where can I find info and buying advice? I really want at least a 19 inch flatpanel & would like to keep the cost under $1,000 unless something wonderful really makes it worth spending more. ABSOLUTELY under $2,000. I'd love a Cinema, but I'm not sure they are worth the money when compared to other flatpanels on the market.

I don't know if this will help with the advice, but I have crappy vision, so my face will probably be really close to the monitor. Maybe anything bigger than 19 inch is really too big for me? [being close to the middle of the monitor means the edges are further away - not an issue for folks with good vision, but it'll affect me for sure]

Thoughts from those in the know?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    May want to take a look at the Silicon Graphics 1600SW with the multilink adapter. Any search on ebay will turn up these displays. They've been discontinued at SGI in favor of a 22" version.

The 1600SW can refresh each pixel 60 times a second, has acceptable viewing angles, and is 17.3" wide. The resolution is 1600x1024. You'll need the Multilink adapter to get it to work a mac that doesn't have an OpenLDI graphics card.

Other displays worth looking at are the Dell flat panels. They use a Samsung panel and are actually pretty good for the price. Personally though, I'd really suggest the 1600SW. Incredibly display for the price. I run one of them.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    If you have bad eyes then you probably want an LCD with large native pixels. Even though most screens can be changed to a lower resolution to make things larger the images and text are sharper at the native (highest) resolution.

Most of the 17in and up to 19in LCD displays are native at 1280 x 1024 so the 19in images will be larger. Be careful not to get a 1600 x 1200 display as the images will appear very small. So I would look for the largest 1280 x 1024 display that you can afford.

Here are some 19in displays that have good specs and prices. Go to Pricegraber.com for the best prices.

Good luck

Samsung Syncmaster191T $769.

Planar PL191M $759.

Viewsonic VX900 $748
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    As someone else, said, a 19" LCD will probably be best since 17"-19" LCDs are all 1280x1024. The cheapest one right now is the Dell Ultrasharp 1900FP at their Small Business Area, you can get it for $689(they may charge tax), it ends today. It's a rebadged Samsung 191T from what I've read, so it should be a great LCD panel.

Details on the deal are at <a href="http://www.xpbargains.com"; target="_blank">http://www.xpbargains.com</a>;
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by idoaudio:

<strong>I am planning on buying a new G4 tower relatively soon. My beige G3 has fallen too far out of date... My question is about going from a CRT to a Flat Panel.

Where can I find info and buying advice? I really want at least a 19 inch flatpanel & would like to keep the cost under $1,000 unless something wonderful really makes it worth spending more. ABSOLUTELY under $2,000. I'd love a Cinema, but I'm not sure they are worth the money when compared to other flatpanels on the market.

I don't know if this will help with the advice, but I have crappy vision, so my face will probably be really close to the monitor. Maybe anything bigger than 19 inch is really too big for me? [being close to the middle of the monitor means the edges are further away - not an issue for folks with good vision, but it'll affect me for sure]

Thoughts from those in the know?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You may also want to get yourself some glasses.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    <a href="http://www.formac.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.formac.com/</a>; is also an option.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I finally saw Formac's 20.1" LCD in person.

My verdict:

I want one

Text is fu(king sharp and color is vibrant. But the case does feel cheap
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You may notice a thread in this same forum: "Dell 2000FP for $730 shipped" or something like that. That 20" flat panel has 1280x1024 resolution, which is normally low for a 20" flat panel (most go up to 1600x1200), but the price is low and the text will be big, so it sounds just right for you.