This week on AI: Apple's HomePod reviewed, 'iOS 12' plans, iPhone AR & more

Posted:
in General Discussion
At long last AppleInsider finally had a chance to review the HomePod, Apple's first entry into the smartspeaker universe. Other points of interest during the week included plans for "iOS 12," and more hints that future iPhones will have rear-facing 3D sensors.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• The HomePod sounds great, but Siri is a problem > >
  • Here's how the HomePod's audio ranks against other smartspeakers > >
  • Starting with "iOS 12," Apple may roll out features more gradually > >
  • Rear-facing 3D sensors could reach iPhones as soon as 2019 > >
  • Apple is rushing to fix a messaging bug that crashes iPhones and iPads > >
  • Shareholders voted against Apple setting up a human rights committee > >
  • The next TV show joining Apple's slate is based on NBA star Kevin Durant > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

HomePod review: Your mileage may vary, but crank it up for the ride

See Apple's HomePod take on the competition in our ultimate smart speaker sound comparison

In software development 'cultural shift', Apple won't hold features for major annual point-zero releases

Rear-facing 3D sensing technology possibly slated for fall 2019 iPhone, allowing Apple to press AR advantage

Apple won't wait for iOS 11.3 to fix Indian character bug, plans to roll out interim iPhone patch soon

Voters shoot down human rights committee proposal at Apple shareholders meeting

Kevin Durant's life and times to be chronicled in Apple-funded 'Swagger' video production

HomePod's silicone bottom is causing rings on some finished wood surfaces

Latest iOS 11 bug crashes devices sent Indian-language character

Apple to prep second season of 'Carpool Karaoke'

Interior Apple Park glass is so clear, distracted employees are walking into it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    BobJewelsBobJewels Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    I just installed my Home Pod and it is impossible to get it to play the Apple Insider Podcast.  No matter what I say to Siri, I get this:

Apple Cider with Austen & Abbie by Abbie & Austen on Apple Podcasts

I came this just short of cursing Siri out but last time I did that, she told me that it was not nice to speak like that...... LOL
    I did walk closer to the Home Pod and it finally said, I see no podcast named Apple Insider.....  sigh.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    interesting. i wonder if it’s because AI spells it as one word “appleinsider” in the podcast directory?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    BobJewels said:
    I just installed my Home Pod and it is impossible to get it to play the Apple Insider Podcast.  No matter what I say to Siri, I get this:

Apple Cider with Austen & Abbie by Abbie & Austen on Apple Podcasts

I came this just short of cursing Siri out but last time I did that, she told me that it was not nice to speak like that...... LOL
    I did walk closer to the Home Pod and it finally said, I see no podcast named Apple Insider.....  sigh.

Can't you correct it so it learn your pronounciation (or is that local to the phone).
    A lot of people don't realize how they actually pronounce words, we're much more forgiving (humans) than machines in that context,.
    I've got a lot of issues with that on all assistants, they're all dumb as bricks if you ask me.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    On the HomePod ...  We were at a friend's house for dinner with another couple last night.  All had Apple watches.  I mentioned I'd got a HomePod and loved it.  I then had to listen to a barrage of comments that sounded like every anti-Apple comment read here on the HomePods.  None of them had heard a HomePod but the list of reasons they didn't need or want one ran the gamut from too expensive to not as good as the Amazon speaker.  I pointed out a few years earlier when we had talked about the Apple Watch they all dissed it too and swore that their Fitbit or whatever were far better value and listed all the the Apple watch's issues and why it would never succeed.  They are going to come around to our home with an Amazon speaker to do a side by side with the HomePod.  This should be fun.
    JWSC