Apple seeks new trademark for multicolor logo, unlikely to show up at a store near you

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2018
Apple is seeking a new U.S. trademark for its iconic multicolor logo, commonly referred to as the "rainbow" logo, for use on clothing items, but don't expect to see the mark adorning products at an Apple store anytime soon.

Like many Apple filings, the company first applied for the mark in Jamaica last June. Apple's retro logo entered the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) in December and was subsequently assigned to an examiner last week.

"The mark consists of the design of an apple with a bite removed, with a detached leaf in green, and the apple divided into horizontal colored segments of the following colors (from top to bottom): green, yellow, orange, red, violet and blue," the application reads.

According to the filing, Apple's mark, if granted, can be applied to pieces of clothing, specifically hats and caps. Though the trademark was filed with an "intent to use," or ITU, it is highly unlikely that Apple will initiate sales of branded headgear or other similar products.

As a rule, the company submits marks on an ITU basis, even those it has no immediate plans of using, simply to protect the design.

Considering Apple moved away from the rainbow logo more than 20 years ago, its imminent return to the mainstream, as suggested in a breathless post by The Blast, is improbable. That said, there is an outside chance that Apple might produce a small run of commemorative gear for internal distribution or sale at its Apple Park store, where shirts bearing the same mark are already sold.

Introduced in 1977, the multicolor Apple logo was replaced in 1998 by monochrome iconography, a design scheme that has evolved to the flat apple-shaped logos seen on all company hardware and software today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I am now officially old. 
    watto_cobrazroger73radster360JWSC
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Apple is selling shirts at the Apple Park visitor center store with this logo currently.  Or at least they were when I was there in December.
    zroger73
  • Reply 3 of 32
    The original logo had Sir Isaac Newton.
    chiazroger73sphericJWSC
  • Reply 4 of 32
    dblezard said:
    Apple is selling shirts at the Apple Park visitor center store with this logo currently.  Or at least they were when I was there in December.
    Yep, just bought one last week -- no idea what they're talking about here!
    zroger73
  • Reply 5 of 32
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I always liked the rainbow logo. Don't know if I've put any of the all white Apple decals in my car. Always used the rainbow ones thoiugh.
    edited February 2018 cgWerkswatto_cobrazroger73
  • Reply 6 of 32
    That thing was and is hideous. 

Please keep with the minimalistic version please. It's attractive. 

edited February 2018
  • Reply 7 of 32

I expect you are under 40.
    ChopinBlueswlym2old4funpscooter63watto_cobrazroger73JWSC
  • Reply 8 of 32
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

This is America so you can have your opinion. That said, I've always liked it because of what it represented then and now. The rainbow is used for a variety of reasons including on the (Italian) PACE, or peace flag. "The most common recent design is a rainbow flag representing peace, first used in Italy at a peace march in 1961." The rainbow logo (with colors in the wrong order) came out in 1976 to remind people that the Apple II could display in full color, not just the green or white on black letters of DOS. It has multiple symbolism now and I like it better than the bland white logo but that's just my opinion.

The only rainbow logo I still owned was partially scraped off my truck window and I wish Apple would release some more of these. I'd even pay for them. Microsoft copied the multi colors in their logo as well as going all white well after Apple did. Everyone's logo doesn't have to be minimalistic, if that's how you describe all white.

I'm also surprised nobody has filed for a rainbow apple logo.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 9 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I would guess part of applying for the trademark is also to stop other people selling shirts with it on.

I've missed the old logo. I used to have an enamelled keyring with it, which sadly broke off. I can understand keeping the monochrome one for packaging, etc, but having the old "Six Colors" version available is nice.

If they could still do the illuminated logos on the MacBooks, how cool would a Six Color one be? They could just sell a translucent sticker for the MacBook Air.

Also, will they be sending Jason Snell a cease-and-desist for his podcast?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I like the rainbow logo. I think it would be cool if they had that logo on iPads and iPods. This logo was the real Apple the one everybody liked.
    watto_cobraJWSC
  • Reply 11 of 32
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    rob53 said:
    Everyone's logo doesn't have to be minimalistic, if that's how you describe all white.
    I'm also surprised nobody has filed for a rainbow apple logo.
    It's the whole fashion vs style debate. It's fashionable right now to go 'minimalistic' but that doesn't make it a better style. Some things are nice in that style, but as you say, everyone doesn't have to follow each other, and there have been some terrible logo-redesigns over the last couple of years.

I think both of Apple's logos are nice, and I suppose the current version looks better with the current product designs. Though, I think done right, the colored one would be fine too, or add something. It wouldn't look nice, IMO, big on laptop backs and such, but would look nice really small (like it used to be) imbedded into the aluminum or such.

I'm really surprised it isn't trademarked, but I don't think anyone would win if they tried to get it... so not that surprising no one has.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Atomic77 said:
    I like the rainbow logo. I think it would be cool if they had that logo on iPads and iPods. This logo was the real Apple the one everybody liked.
    I like it too. It reminds me of the first Macs I used way back in 1988, in school. When I bought my first computer, it was a Radius (a Mac clone, for you youngsters out there) as they were a bit cheaper than the real Macs, and I was sad that it didn’t have the real Apple logo on it, just a sticker. Still, I loved that computer and cried inside the day I recycled it. The next machine I bought was a G3 and Apple had the monochrome logo by then. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    That logo will never die. I have one covering the illuminated white apple logo on my rMBP
    watto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I’m surprised the original logo patent didn’t include uses other than computers. But then, in those days Apple certainly couldn’t have imagined their logo would become as iconic as it has. I wonder if the recent Italian clothing company’s victory in selling “Steve Jobs” apparel figured into this move?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

I'm not a fan of it or the original original logo, but I also couldn't care less about they use. If they want to start using the Windows ME logo that's fine with me so long as their products do what I want them to do.

• Reply 16 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:

I'm not a fan of it or the original original logo, but I also couldn't care less about they use. If they want to start using the Windows ME logo that's fine with me so long as their products do what I want them to do.

Quoting Steve Jobs, “You have no taste.”
    propodJWSC
  • Reply 17 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:

Quoting Steve Jobs, “You have no taste.”
    That's your opinion, but that also means you're claiming that Apple and Steve Jobs as CEO of Apple have had the same "no taste" for the last 2 decades.

There's a reason the Issac Newton logo didn't stick around very long.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Apple pride!

• Reply 19 of 32
    hexclock said:
    Atomic77 said:
    I like it too. It reminds me of the first Macs I used way back in 1988, in school. When I bought my first computer, it was a Radius (a Mac clone, for you youngsters out there) as they were a bit cheaper than the real Macs, and I was sad that it didn’t have the real Apple logo on it, just a sticker. Still, I loved that computer and cried inside the day I recycled it. The next machine I bought was a G3 and Apple had the monochrome logo by then. 
    I had one of those too, but it was my third Mac.  
  • Reply 20 of 32
    I had one of these on an early 80s poster. Sure wish I had hung on to it.