2003 the year for DRM showdown?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
? EMI releases the new Robbie Williams CD with copy protection, making it impossible to play on a computer, many CD players and MP3 players like the iPod. After a short test period, EMI announces the trial a success, and that all future releases on EMI will have the same form of copy protection.

? Canada pushes for a significant levy on blank CDs and digital playback devices.

? Intel mulls the possibility of putting DRM directly into hardware which limits computer and MP3 access.

Any lawyers out there up for a giant class action lawsuit against EMI? I do believe we'll see this issue go all the way to the Supreme Court.

Could 2003 be the year the shit finally hits the fan and the record buying public finally revolt? Could this be the end of the record industry? If they don't see the importance of digital distribution, then I guess so.

I don't pirate music. I buy loads of CDs. However, I will NOT buy any CD's from EMI ever again until they admit that they are wrong. I guess that means I'll start my piracy career by deliberately circumventing the CP system on Escapology. I'm sure I can find fully digital rips of the CD with Acquisition because this is sure to be a cause for the P2P sharing culture.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Yes to quote Ike Clanton in Tombstone.

"You Got a fight comin'"

This is going to be War flat and simple. I just bought a CD that I can't play in my computer because of Copy Protection. I tried to be nice and Pay for it. Where's my rights? I could have downloaded the whole song. They can't win this fight. There are tons of semi pro products that are available that can easily be modified to circumvent or ignore Copy protection. A song only needs to be cracked once.

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: hmurchison ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Yes to quote Ike Clanton in Tombstone.

"You Got a fight comin'"

This is going to be War flat and simple. I just bought a CD that I can't play in my computer because of Copy Protection. I tried to be nice and Pay for it. Where's my rights? I could have downloaded the whole song. They can't win this fight. There are tons of semi pro products that are available that can easily be modified to circumvent or ignore Copy protection. A song only needs to be cracked once.

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: hmurchison ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just get a magic marker, draw around the edge of the disk with it and you can play it in your computer. All that cash they used to produce this anti copying technique and all you have to do is use a magic marker! try it it relly does work.

what they also forgot was you can also plug a normal cd player into your soundcard and record that way.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Could 2003 be the year the shit finally hits the fan and the record buying public finally revolt? Could this be the end of the record industry?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Many of you know my "character" based on how I type, so you know I don't swear often. But I fvcking hope the "shit hits the fan", good and hard! Progress is long overdue, and I would like to have the entire Digital Millenium Copyright Act re-written to protect innocent, law-biding consumers.

[quote]I don't pirate music. I buy loads of CDs. However, I will NOT buy any CD's from EMI ever again until they admit that they are wrong. I guess that means I'll start my piracy career by deliberately circumventing the CP system on Escapology. I'm sure I can find fully digital rips of the CD with Acquisition because this is sure to be a cause for the P2P sharing culture.<hr></blockquote>

My computer is my digital jukebox. If I can't rip my own CD's, I won't support the RIAA. As a result, I stopped buying CD's and switched to Internet radio. Now, Internet radio is dying at the hands of the RIAA.

There is a simple solution to this problem that is overlooked by the RIAA. The MP3 format gives us near-CD quality sound, at around 1/10 the space. What we need is to increase the gap between CD-quality and MP3-quality sound. One solution would be to create a two sided DVD/CD. (One side a DVD, the other a CD) The CD would work on all CD players and computers, while the DVD side would have an enhanced sampling rate and surround sound. (ig. 192Khz sampling rate, 5.1 surround) This would broaden the gap between CD/DVD quality and MP3 quality, using technology that already exists and therefore, won't increase prices.

<a href="http://fatchucks.com/z3.cd.html"; target="_blank">http://fatchucks.com/z3.cd.html -(Corrupt CD's)</a>

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    As far as I'm concerned, what I hear is what I can put on my computer and encode to mp3 and put on my iPod. Just can't bypass analog recordings really. So you lose quality, but some geek out there has the super expensive DA and AD convertor that will publicize the previously restricted music at minimal loss in quality.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>As far as I'm concerned, what I hear is what I can put on my computer and encode to mp3 and put on my iPod. Just can't bypass analog recordings really. So you lose quality, but some geek out there has the super expensive DA and AD convertor that will publicize the previously restricted music at minimal loss in quality.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Several possibilities:

Using current DSP chips, PERFECT signal reconstruction is possible.

Other possibilites:

Intercept digital stream directly from CD player. It will be 150k/s. Develop a modulator to send it in via USB. Should cost about 100 bucks to pull off, and then 30 bucks as a for-sale product.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I actually have a copy of Robbie Williams' new album, that is, a series of MP3's of all the songs, which I got on the net *somewhere*, and ONLY for evaluation purposes (24 hours of it ). I didn't know the disc was protected. It don't matter to some people, apparently.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Oh and by the way: my little stereo (as opposed to my big one ), has a optical-digital out port (it's a Sony, and I bought it especially to record MiniDiscs, back in the day). Maybe there might be something possible with this.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Who the hell is buying Robbie Williams anyway? Gawd. Well, to each his own I guess. I am very concerned with DRM and the various initiatives associated with it. If you haven't read up on the prospects of Palladium, get over to Google and be prepared to be frightened. I'm scared that the average consumer won't be savvy enough to reject these revolting monopoly strategems. After all, most people use Windows, right? That means they're willing to accept a lot of crap. I fear the combined clout of MS, the RIAA and MPAA will overpower the consumer.

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: Big Mac ]</p>