Series 3 sales help crown Apple Watch king of 2017 wearables market

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2018
Some 8 million Apple Watches may have been sold in the December quarter, allowing Apple to beat out the likes of Fitbit for wearables dominance not just then but during the whole of 2017, according to research published on Thursday.

Apple Watch

Apple saw its marketshare rise year-over-year from 14.4 percent to 21 percent in Q4, with units growing from 5.1 million, IDC said. One-time leader Fitbit saw its units decline from 6.5 million to 5.4 million, and hence share fall from 18.5 percent to 14.2.

Behind those two companies were Xiaomi, Garmin, and Huawei. A cumulative "others" group shrank from 43.5 percent to 41 percent, even as shipments increased slightly to 15.6 million.

"4Q17 was the first quarter that Apple held the market leader position all to itself after spending several quarters close behind Fitbit or Xiaomi," IDC wrote. "Apple is catching the market at the right time with many users of basic wearables moving on to smartwatches and cellular connectivity (available on select Series 3 Watches) is earning a warm reception among end users, if only for the convenience of leaving their smartphone behind. The late-year push of 8.0 million units separated Apple from the competition to emerge as the overall leader of the wearables market for the year."

During 2017, Apple is estimated to have shipped 17.7 million Watches, surpassing Xiaomi's 15.7 million and Fitbit's 15.4 million.

Apple's plans for new hardware in 2018 are still shrouded. The company could potentially add an EKG reader, and/or make cellular models even more independent of the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Not having official numbers is a license for outfits like IDC to pull whatever stats they want out of their assess. I think Apple was brilliant in deciding to keep watch sales under wraps. Makes it harder for the asshats to figure out how they’re making all that money and profit. And it makes it harder for the “fail” crowd to declare a loser. iPhone X sales are not provided either, just iPhone sales as a category so all that supply channel prognosticating about Samsung overproduction remains just blathering rumor.
    jcs2305bb-15chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    lkrupp said:
    Not having official numbers is a license for outfits like IDC to pull whatever stats they want out of their assess. I think Apple was brilliant in deciding to keep watch sales under wraps. Makes it harder for the asshats to figure out how they’re making all that money and profit. And it makes it harder for the “fail” crowd to declare a loser. iPhone X sales are not provided either, just iPhone sales as a category so all that supply channel prognosticating about Samsung overproduction remains just blathering rumor.
    Spot on...as usual. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Good to read but also not surprising at all cause this series 3 Watch is already one of my favourite pieces of Tech I’ve bought.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    My son now has my Apple Watch Series 0, which served me well. But I love, love, love my Series 3 with cellular (AT&T)!

It's faster, brighter, and more functional, and I take my iPhone 7+ out of my pocket far less often.

I love the watch for placing and answering calls via my Beats X earphones. They're quick and easy to pair, and they stay in my ears far better than my previous PowerBeats Wireless 3 set.

Apple Pay works great with the watch, and is yet another way NOT to take out my phone.

And I love playing my Apple Music tunes from the watch with its easy-to-use interface.

Like with most Apple products I use, I don't care very much what are the various marketshares. I just know that there's no way I'd consider any other brand of comparable devices.

Next for us is the Home Pod—maybe two once Air Play 2 arrives!
    edited March 2018 jbdragonh2pbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Apple is leading in wearables but right from the start, AppleWatch was called a failure because it didn't meet analyst's expectations in terms of sales.  So, if AppleWatch is a failure then what are the other companies wearables being called.  Wall Street was always crowing about Fitbit and how many millions of units were being sold.  I'm sure plenty of Fitbits were sold because they were relatively cheap.  I'd also heard they didn't hold up very well under use.  Some were said to be failing after a few months use.  It's like how Amazon holds the smart speaker lead by selling millions of Echo Dots.  By some standards, I suppose, as long as a product holds the highest market share percentage, it's considered a successful product even if the company doesn't make much money from it.  Product popularity seems to mean a lot to investors but it doesn't seem as though that metric covers everything.  It's good to hear that AppleWatch is doing quite well even if Apple can't sell millions of them.  If it's a useful product and consumers are happy with it then that's great.  It's not good to judge a product simply based on how many are being sold.  Some products are priced to be practically disposable and they may not hold up well over time.  They're good for impulse buying and not much else.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    j coolj cool Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    This isn't surprising. I saw it coming since the series 0. As with any Apple product, they surpass all the others.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Apple is leading in wearables but right from the start, AppleWatch was called a failure because it didn't meet analyst's expectations in terms of sales.  So, if AppleWatch is a failure then what are the other companies wearables being called.  Wall Street was always crowing about Fitbit and how many millions of units were being sold.  I'm sure plenty of Fitbits were sold because they were relatively cheap.  I'd also heard they didn't hold up very well under use.  Some were said to be failing after a few months use.  It's like how Amazon holds the smart speaker lead by selling millions of Echo Dots.  By some standards, I suppose, as long as a product holds the highest market share percentage, it's considered a successful product even if the company doesn't make much money from it.  Product popularity seems to mean a lot to investors but it doesn't seem as though that metric covers everything.  It's good to hear that AppleWatch is doing quite well even if Apple can't sell millions of them.  If it's a useful product and consumers are happy with it then that's great.  It's not good to judge a product simply based on how many are being sold.  Some products are priced to be practically disposable and they may not hold up well over time.  They're good for impulse buying and not much else.
    But IT DOES sell millions of them (almost 10M in Q4), it's in the table up there and considering the ASP, is making a lot of money off them.
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    I’d really like to upgrade, but my S0 is still working great.  Only have to charge it every other day.  Wish Apple had some sort of upgrade program for them so I could justify it easier
    h2pchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    I’m in EXACTLY the same boat as Freshmaker, right down to the battery longevity. I suppose I could afford a Series 1, but ... why? Apple made the original one too good. Of course I know the S3 is vastly better but ... my needs are simple and my S0 still meets them. Maybe for my birthday ...
    freshmakerwatto_cobraj cool
  • Reply 10 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I’d really like to upgrade, but my S0 is still working great.  Only have to charge it every other day.  Wish Apple had some sort of upgrade program for them so I could justify it easier
    I enjoyed my S0 as well -- until it died and was replaced with a Series 1...   I can't actually see any specific differences, but the satisfaction factor jumped incredibly...   I'm not sure what it was -- probably speed.  

But, to be honest, I use the watch for daily exercise tracking and its more instantaneous response makes a big difference (you don't want to be staring at a watch waiting for it to respond while you're running -- it's a bit like texting and driving.)   But honestly, it seems every facet of the watch is just better...

Don't hesitate to upgrade to a newer series...
    freshmakerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Both the AW and the marketing for the AW have been maturing...
    It started as a fashion accessory
    Then it became a techy trinket
    Now its (mostly) billed as an activity tracker -- and seems to have found its niche...

It did get off to a slow start but I think its future will be as a rising star...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    chasm said:
    I’m in EXACTLY the same boat as Freshmaker, right down to the battery longevity. I suppose I could afford a Series 1, but ... why? Apple made the original one too good. Of course I know the S3 is vastly better but ... my needs are simple and my S0 still meets them. Maybe for my birthday ...
    I thought the same -- till my Series 0 died and was replaced with a Series 1...
    ...  Weirdly, they are identical -- but the satisfaction factor is worlds apart.  I love this Series 1!

But now I'm right back into the same dilemma:  I really wanted a Series 3 LTE -- but the damn Series 1 works so damn well, I can't justify upgrading!   I hate Apple!   :)
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    My son now has my Apple Watch Series 0, which served me well. But I love, love, love my Series 3 with cellular (AT&T)!

It's faster, brighter, and more functional, and I take my iPhone 7+ out of my pocket far less often.

I love the watch for placing and answering calls via my Beats X earphones. They're quick and easy to pair, and they stay in my ears far better than my previous PowerBeats Wireless 3 set.

Apple Pay works great with the watch, and is yet another way NOT to take out my phone.

And I love playing my Apple Music tunes from the watch with its easy-to-use interface.

Like with most Apple products I use, I don't care very much what are the various marketshares. I just know that there's no way I'd consider any other brand of comparable devices.

Next for us is the Home Pod—maybe two once Air Play 2 arrives!
    You've just basically said exactly how I feel as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I enjoyed my S0 as well -- until it died and was replaced with a Series 1...   I can't actually see any specific differences, but the satisfaction factor jumped incredibly...   I'm not sure what it was -- probably speed.  

But, to be honest, I use the watch for daily exercise tracking and its more instantaneous response makes a big difference (you don't want to be staring at a watch waiting for it to respond while you're running -- it's a bit like texting and driving.)   But honestly, it seems every facet of the watch is just better...

Don't hesitate to upgrade to a newer series...
    I had the original AW (there was no Series 0 people!!) and handed it down to my daughter (for some reason, she has wanted an AW since I got mine, and she is only 12 now...my son couldn't care less).  I received the Series 3 without cellular for Christmas.  As you can imagine, coming from the original, it is much faster, brighter, GPS, water proof, altimeter to count steps/elevation, Siri talk back, and MUCH better battery life.  I can easily go 2 days without charge, without any battery optimization, with workouts each day.

Just having everything "better" has allowed me to use it more.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    j coolj cool Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    chasm said:
    I thought the same -- till my Series 0 died and was replaced with a Series 1...
    ...  Weirdly, they are identical -- but the satisfaction factor is worlds apart.  I love this Series 1!

But now I'm right back into the same dilemma:  I really wanted a Series 3 LTE -- but the damn Series 1 works so damn well, I can't justify upgrading!   I hate Apple!   :)
    As long as your happy with the series 0 it is all good. for me when it first came out, I didn't see any point to it because it seemed so limited in what it could do. It has now grew on me and am going to get one soon.