Apple 'Lose your wallet' campaign lands in Los Angeles with discounts for local shops

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
Apple continues efforts to bolster Apple Pay adoption, and is currently hosting a "Lose your wallet" event in Los Angeles, offering users of the service exclusive discounts on food, fashion and more.

Retailers participating in the campaign took to their respective social media accounts this week to promote the event slated to run from March 1 to March 3, while Apple posted an informational webpage to its official Apple Pay site.

February's "Lose your wallet" promotion covers the Original Farmers' Market, Melrose Trading Post, Westwood, Abbot Kinney and Abbot Kinney First Friday, according to Apple's marketing material.

In Westwood, deals can be had from 14 merchants on Friday, while 20 retailers in Abbot Kinney are participating in the event today and tomorrow. Some of the best deals are showing up today at Abbot Kinney's First Friday, with food trucks offering 30 percent off all orders when customers pay with Apple Pay.

The Venice Chamber of Commerce snapped a photo of the event and posted it to its official Instagram account on Friday. In addition to the food truck discounts, Apple is doling out special offers at an Apple Pay booth located in front of the Fun Socks Store on Abbot Kinney Blvd.

Finally, Doordash is offering Apple Pay users free deliveries (presumably in the Abbot Kinney, Westwood area) through March 23.

"Lose your wallet" debuted last June in San Francisco, presenting users deals at shops in the Hayes Valley area and the San Francisco Marina.

It seems the campaign found traction, as Apple is making the "Lose your wallet" a near monthly occurrence. Most recently, the company held an event in the Ocean Beach neighborhood of San Diego, Calif., which followed an event in Austin, Tex., a month prior.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Probably an even better promotion may be Chase Freedom (and probably other Chase cards too) offering a 5% cash reward on Apple Pay purchases.  It started in January and runs through March.  The promotion (as I remember) covers more than just ApplePay purchases.   But, as I understand it, all purchases made through ApplePay receive the reward -- and that covers over 90% of my spending.

And, by the way, a few years back, it was Chase who suggested I use ApplePay instead of their card directly because of the increased security of ApplePay.  And, that makes sense:  credit card issuers likely spend billions refunding fraudulent charges...

And, speaking of fraud:   One of the things I like about my Chase card is that I have its alerts set up so that it sends me a text within seconds of a charge being made on my card.   Usually I'm not even out of the store before I hear that "ding" on my watch.   It has twice enabled me to catch a fraudulent charge going on my card:   The second  time it was an online purchase for about $30.  The first time I got a text that my card had been used at a gas station (for $25) I called Chase and they told me the gas station was 300 miles away in Philadelphia.  They removed the charge and sent me a new card.  I suspect that they were doing small purchases hoping that I, like most people, just pay their credit card bill when they get it -- and a $25 charge would just slip through.  And, in fact, if I did wait to receive my bill, I probably would have paid it....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    To my pleasant surprise, "Hey, Siri, where are nearby [grocery stores...Korean restaurants... gas stations... whatever]  that take pay?" works pretty well for me. Once I thought a database on web might be good, but that might be too overwhelming. This way is fast and easy. Unsure if casual users are aware yet.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobracaladanianbshank
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Notice they didn’t say “lose your purse”?  ;)
    edited March 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 13
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    So my driver's license is just floating around in my pocket now?
    SendMcjakSpamSandwichbshank
  • Reply 5 of 13
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    cornchip said:
    Since states have barcodes information on our licenses, why couldn’t they be digitally stored as well?
    watto_cobracaladanianGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 13
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    f1ferrari said:
    cornchip said:
    Since states have barcodes information on our licenses, why couldn’t they be digitally stored as well?
    It is being studied in several jurisdictions      https://www.gemalto.com/drivers-license/extended-offer/digital-ddl
    watto_cobraeightzero
  • Reply 7 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    f1ferrari said:
    cornchip said:
    Won't happen....   PA and other states are in the process of issuing new licenses in order to catch up to ID standards issued after 9/11.  And then there's voter suppression considerations and what constitutes valid ID.  The idea is to make it harder, not easier...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    GeorgeBMac said:
      And then there's voter suppression considerations and what constitutes valid ID.  The idea is to make it harder, not easier...
    Unfortunately, that’s more true than we might imagine. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    f1ferrari said:
    cornchip said:
    Won't happen....   PA and other states are in the process of issuing new licenses in order to catch up to ID standards issued after 9/11.
    This is correct -- current Apple Wallet and Google Pay digital pass styles (loyalty cards, event tickets, etc.) dont offer a way to satisfy DHS' Real ID requirements (aka the "ID standards issued after 9/11").

This means Gemalto's state-by-state approach, at best, would likely:

A) be implemented via a proprietary app (exactly what they're pilot efforts have done, this far), ND
    B) not be accepted by all other states (or TSA), making it pretty pointless

• Reply 10 of 13
    cornchip said:

I'm sure you understand that this is an ad campaign to use Apple Pay and that they don't literally want you to lose your wallet.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    f1ferrari said:
    cornchip said:
    It’s not at all smart to put government-mandated ID in your phone. You should never volunteer to hand over your phone to anyone for examination, regardless of your disposition on privacy, security or spying.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    cornchip said:
    🤣Guess so
  • Reply 13 of 13
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    f1ferrari said:
    cornchip said:
    It’s not at all smart to put government-mandated ID in your phone. You should never volunteer to hand over your phone to anyone for examination, regardless of your disposition on privacy, security or spying.
    Why would you have to physically hand over the phone?  Plus, Apple Wallet can be accessed without unlocking the phone -- an important differentiator from Google Pay wallet.