UnitedHealthcare adds Apple Watch Series 3 to insurance discount program

Posted:
in Apple Watch
U.S. health insurer UnitedHealthcare is adding the Apple Watch Series 3 to its Motion program, which lets people earn up to $1,000 per year off their insurance premiums -- assuming they meet daily fitness goals.

People will have to pay tax and shipping for the Watch, but will then be able to use earnings from Motion towards the cost of the device, CNET said. The money will be deposited either into a health savings account, or a reimbursement account for out-of-pocket medical bills.

The cost of the accessory will be reachable in as little as six months by meeting three daily goals. These include 10,000 steps total, 3,000 steps within 30 minutes, and finally 500 steps with seven minutes six times per day.

Some people will be able to sign up for a Watch in July, but access will only open up completely later in 2018. Apple will likely release a "Series 4" Watch sometime this fall.

Apple has already partnered with several other insurance companies on Watch discounts, such as Aetna and John Hancock. For Apple such deals result in more device sales, while insurers are hoping to avoid costly payouts caused by obesity and injuries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    And now how about the other insurance companies get on board with this? I’d buy a Watch immediately if I could save $1,000/year using one. No brainer!
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 2 of 10
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I hope Anthem/BCBS joins in.  I'm not wearing a fitbit, even if it's free, and that's the only wearable supported.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    Do we know how they will handle it if one already owns an Apple Watch 3 with LTE?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sans said:
    Do we know how they will handle it if one already owns an Apple Watch 3 with LTE?
    Presumably this has to do with reporting or using their app to provide your information to them to move the needle on your insurance rate. This is almost the same as a car company lowering your rate if you give them total access to your driving data.
    albegarcGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 10
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    I wonder if this is also available in the UHC plan offered to Comcast employees.....
  • Reply 6 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This is a great idea, and I'd buy an AppleWatch in a heartbeat (pun intended) if Kaiser got on board with this.
    albegarc
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Wish my insurer would have such a program. My activity tracker tells me I easily meet all the goals with an average of 23k steps per day and several trips over 3k steps.
    albegarc
  • Reply 8 of 10
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    OK, I'm a UHC member through my company's health insurance plan. I own a Series 3 with LTE.  I workout 7 days a week since getting the watch (love it!!).  Now I need details to get the benefit of UHC offering something.  I'll look for an app by them, register with my plan details, and hopefully just enable linking of my Activity data to reap a savings.  This is just like your auto insurance company giving you a device to plug into your OBD2 port for 3 months to track your driving behavior and offering a discount at the conclusion of the tracking period based on your behavior.  That worked flawlessly for my family (wife, kids) for an aggregate 17% savings in auto insurance.  I'd surely welcome a 17% (or more) savings in health insurance!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I wonder what they're using to track those 3 parameters?   Apple doesn't offer anything like that.   Yes, the Watch tracks step counts, but not by time.   It must be some custom app.

And too -- why a Series 3 or 4 if all they are doing is tracking steps?  The Gen 0 was completely capable of doing that...

And, one wonders about other exercise types -- such as strength training, gymnastics or swimming?  Don't they count?

I'm thinking they would be better off just seeing if you closed your rings -- particularly the green exercise ring which is based on heart rate and activity...

But, all the nit-picking objections aside:  I am very, very pleased to see a member of our healthcare system encourage healthy lifestyles to this extent.  Can't afford to keep treating the chronic diseases caused by unhealthy lifestyles...  It's been estimated that 3/4's of our $3Trillion of annual healthcare spending goes to treat chronic diseases -- and 3/4's of them could be eliminated with healthy lifestyles...
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 10 of 10
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Wish my insurer would have such a program. My activity tracker tells me I easily meet all the goals with an average of 23k steps per day and several trips over 3k steps.
    Impressive-- unless you're a postman or sherpa.