Apple's Workflow app updated with new image mask action, bug fixes

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday issued a minor update to its Workflow app, adding a few new features and a number of bug fixes to the popular automation software.

A new action to apply image masks tops the release notes of Workflow version 1.7.8, allowing users to quickly cut an image into a desired shape. Current defaults include a rounded rectangle, ellipse and icon, though there is an option to create a mask from a custom image.

The app also builds on its Things integration with an updated "Add Things To-Do" action that features new fields for inputting data into the task manager.

In addition, items in the Dictionary action can now be reordered, while the Workflow URL scheme has been updated to support opening other workflows. The latest Workflow version also offers better text extraction from PDF files and improved drag-and-drop handling of items from the My Workflows section.

A number of bugs were squashed with version 1.7.8, including multiple crash issues, authentication problems, file handling quirks and more. The update also includes VoiceOver improvements and the usual slate of performance enhancements and minor bug fixes.

A full list of this update's patches can be found on the Workflow website.

Apple purchased Workflow nearly one year ago in what appeared to be an acqui-hire of developers Ari Weinstein, Conrad Kramer and Nick Frey, who joined Apple to work on unspecified projects. The app, which allows users to cobble together powerful actions by tapping into backend integrations with other apps, received an Apple Design Award in 2015.

An email sent to Workflow customers shortly after the acquisition suggested development of the app would for the most part cease, with users expected to see only minor updates that address bugs. Apple appears to have other plans, as the app was most recently updated in November with iOS 11 support and optimizations for iPhone X.

Workflow is a free 113MB download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Has anyone used this? Is it any good?
    Avieshek
  • Reply 2 of 11
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    steveau said:
    Unless, it’s a 256GB iPhone with 1000 apps, in my case, I don’t need it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    steveau said:

I have used it but not in a while. It seemed like a powerful app for what it did. However I didn't have much use for it.

I set up workflows for several things including logging data to Health, providing driving directions to home etc.. These where then accessed via the workflow widget.

I didn't really find it saved that much time for the navigation directions as I could have just asked Siri to do that in less time.

Logging data to Health was certainly a time saver but not something I did often enough to be worthwhile.

If there was a task you needed to complete on a regular basis it would be worthwhile. I'm just not sure what that would be.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I set up a tip calculator/check split widget. That's it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    i offload photos, that are pictures of documentation, all the time. It batches them together, in a pdf, and auto stores in the cloud for me, or will batch to a client. Now in iOS11 that you can save pictures directly to your files, took out one of my batch processes, but i still use it if i want to make a zipfile. As an Apple user, this is a neat app. Add it, go online, to discover the tons of work-flows that could help you out
  • Reply 6 of 11
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    steveau said:
    It is very good. It's not of that much use for Mac-centric users, but people who use iOS devices to get stuff done will find uses for it.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/28/workflow-16-for-ios-adds-features-and-redesign-to-win-over-casual-users
  • Reply 8 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    steveau said:
    I used it once or twice when it first came out then deleted it. I saw too much opportunity for big mistakes to be made (by me) quickly and without realizing it to my files until it was too late.
    edited March 2018 lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They still have yet to fix the 'upload to Imgur' action bug. Fails first time, works second time—every time.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I travel a lot for work so I build a workflow to automate sending my Travel Status Updates so rather than typing the message out it takes about 4 taps to do the same. I build a workflow for my niece to use as she looks after my aviary when I am away. With a couple of taps it inserts an All-Day Task into a shared calendar so I know she checked on them and what she did. So, is it worthwhile. It's Free so Yes.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Workflows are good on devices were typing is harder and you can chain actions,  the more you chain, the better it is solving a need.