Google looking to turn aspects of AMP caching technology into wider Web standard

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2018
Google is hoping to have technology from its Accelerated Mobile Pages -- currently used as a more open, though Google-preferred alternative to Apple News or Facebook Instant Pages -- adopted as a broader Web standard.

"Based on what we learned from AMP, we now feel ready to take the next step and work to support more instant-loading content not based on AMP technology in areas of Google Search designed for this, like the Top Stories carousel," the company said in a blog post. "This content will need to follow a set of future Web standards and meet a set of objective performance and user experience criteria to be eligible."

AMP pages are streamlined and pre-cached, designed to load as quickly as possible on mobile devices. For both Google and publishers, this may increase the likelihood that someone will tap and generate ad revenue. Google prefers AMP pages in search results, though content doesn't have to pass through the company's servers or include its ads.

Google's aims for the broader Web are still nebulous, without a name, timeline, or exact set of features, beyond some concepts such as "Web Packaging" and "Paint Timing."

"While we fully intend to make these changes in Google Search, as with any Google Search feature they will undergo experimentation and user testing and only launch if results are positive for users," the company added.

Though perhaps not a failure, Apple News has also proven less attractive to publishers than Apple may have hoped. The format must be specifically supported, yet doesn't offer paywalls or much control over which ads are served. The most popular items are those Apple picks for its "Spotlight" and "Top Stories" categories, and publishers are finding themselves having to pitch to Apple to get featured.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Actually what I notice apple is doing with Apple News is putting more diverse content verse feeding similar content base on prior reading habits. Today I see more news sources than I even had in the past. most of this change happen with the iOS 11 update. I think Apple is trying to get people out of their news bubbles which is a good thing. Google still serves up content based on your past reading and viewing habits.

I personally do not want the likes of Facebook or Google curating what i read since they are somehow making assumption about what I want to read today based on what I read last week.
    clemynxAvieshekchasmcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    All I see is fracking Google wanting everyone to suck their tit and depend on them so much there is nothing outside them.

Of course, they prefer Amp, it's them reaming you and telling you it is for your own good (or for your "client's" good.

Amp is horrible, the loss of control means the intermediaries like Google run your company , your marketing and your sales... taking a god damn cut, all for your own good off course.

edited March 2018 Avieshekfreerangechasmcornchipjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Use DuckDuckGo.com
    jdgazAvieshekfreerangedysamoriauser9bwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    AMP sucks.   He the time it doesn't work right and if the browser reloads it screws up. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Use DuckDuckGo.com
    Totally agree! I’ve been using it exclusively and it performs great! Stop being the product! Just like the POS Facebook Messenger - total crap, and Facebook wants to lock you in and own you, along with ALL your contacts! A far superior messaging app is WeChat - it blows them away. People are either too stupid or too ignorant to know what they are doing when they use Google or Facebook.
    edited March 2018 user9bwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    AMP made me switch. It sucks big time. So annoying.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Use DuckDuckGo.com
    I do. Google AMP was the last straw for me. I dropped Google for every day use except advances image searchs (still somewhat superior in Google, despite the recent copyright-driven, clumsy, obfuscation changes) and Gmail.

I probably should dump Gmail too. I already pay for a web server, but... Google benefits from the fact that my entire online existence is centered around a Gmail email account. Apple still doesn't let us rename our Apple ID, right?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    dysamoria said:
    Apple still doesn't let us rename our Apple ID, right?

That is actually incorrect. See here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667
    cornchipwatto_cobra