W00T! New iBook!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just went to the Apple store today, to see if I might want to replace my G4 tower with a new iBook... and I ended up buying one! Hooray!

So far it's just stock, 800 MHz Combo 12" with the woefully inadequate 128 MB of RAM. I am planning on getting an airport card and 512 MB of RAM for it within the next few days. I love this thing, the screen is so sharp and I'm not bothered at all by the small size of the screen. And it is quite a bit more portable than the 14".

I've named it Mercury after the wing-footed Greek god.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Perhaps Tithonus is a better name for an iBook?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Nice Matsu... that's a clever way of saying the G3 should be dead... heh heh

Congrats on the machine Luca, it'll be so much nicer with the RAM and wireless. Make sure and post some pics!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i know we've beaten this subject, but why in god's name does apple include only 128mb ram with ANY of their configs? it makes their underpowered hardware seem even WORSE (much worse)

edit: oh, congrats luca, sounds like a nice machine

[ 12-14-2002: Message edited by: progmac ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Mercury was a Roman god.

Incidentally, it was alos the name of an early project in the American space program, which utilized Titanium as a building material, and subsequently the name of an Apple project that used/uses Titanium as a building material.

Maybe not the most appropriate name for an iBook.

• Reply 5 of 7
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Congrats!!

I liked mecury. It has this very metallic and posh feeling.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    congrats Luca.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Thanks everyone! I agree about the RAM, I ordered a 512 MB module right away once I got home. It's kinda the modern equivalent of using 24 MB on a PowerMac 7500 in OS 8.6 - virtual memory is constantly running, slowing everything down. I've already burned six or seven CDs and used FireWire disk mode on it too!

About the name Mercury... I might change it. I called it Mercury because it sounds cooler than Hermes (the Greek equivalent). Regardless of the name, I'll probably just refer to it as "my iBook" anyway because that's what I always do. A computer just doesn't seem "alive" enough to give a name.

Oh, BTW Matsu... it's nearly as fast as my G4 for everything, and to top it off the screen is much crisper and nicer. The only place I notice slowdowns is when I'm trying to do two demanding things at the same time, like install software updates and watch iTunes visuals. Hopefully the RAM will fix that up some. If I'm doing one thing at a time, it's fine. Maybe you need to quit complaining and see what's GOOD about Apple's products, not just what's bad about them.