'Hundreds' of employees at Amazon's headquarters out of a job

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2018
Amazon may be preparing to build a second headquarters, pitting various cities against each other with the promise of staggering amounts of new jobs -- but that doesn't mean the jobs of its current corporate employees are necessarily safe.

Jeff Bezos with Amazon logo

The retail giant will lay off several hundred employees at its Seattle headquarters as well as hundreds more elsewhere, the Seattle Times reported Monday, with the company confirming the layoffs shortly thereafter. The move follows hiring freezes in some parts of the company earlier this year.

The layoffs began Monday and will continue for "a few weeks." The company's recent rapid growth has "left some units over budget and some teams with too much staff for their work" according to Amazon.

"As part of our annual planning process, we are making head count adjustments across the company -- small reductions in a couple of places and aggressive hiring in many others," the company said in a statement. "For affected employees, we work to find roles in the areas where we are hiring."

The retail firm has whittled the list down from 238 initial applicants to 20, according to a statement. The list of contenders consists of 19 cities in the United States and one in Canada, with the list generally skewing towards the East Coast, the opposite side of the country to Amazon's existing headquarters in Seattle, WA.

The winning candidate stands to benefit from an influx of high-paid jobs, with Amazon claiming up to 50,000 employees may work at "HQ2" once it's operational. Amazon also plans to spend more than $5 billion on the new facility, an expenditure in the same ballpark as Apple Park, Apple's newest headquarters.

Jeff Bezos, Amazon's founder and CEO, was reported by Forbes as the richest man in the world earlier this month, with a net worth of $112 billion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I wouldn’t place any bets on the “high-paying jobs” bit.
    dysamoriacornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    They probably meant high paying corporate managers. lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

Why not? Assuming they will also have a large number of engineering folks at HQ2 isn't that unrealistic. It isn't one of their distribution centers after all. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    With the number of people Amazon hires, how is that even a blip?
    pte applewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    They probably meant high paying corporate managers. lol
    Yeah, just a few of those. The rest are low wage warehouse people.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I'm starting to wonder at what point I will actively feel bad about giving Amazon my money. I can feel that point approaching...
    QwertyHuaniqatedocornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dysamoria said:
    I'm starting to wonder at what point I will actively feel bad about giving Amazon my money. I can feel that point approaching...
    I felt bad about it for a while but the final straw was Amazon opening a brick and mortar bookstore in a local mall.

Talk about irony up and dying.

james