Amazon continues to claim top spot in Harris reputation poll, Apple plummets to 29th

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2018
In the annual poll that measures the reputations of various major companies, Apple has dropped all the way to 29th, after years in the top five.

The Harris Poll's Reputation Quotient survey, which is meant to measure "the public's top of mind awareness of companies who either excelled or faltered in society," this year ranks Amazon first, followed by Wegman's, Tesla Motors, Chick-fil-A and The Walt Disney Company. Microsoft is ranked 11th and Netflix is 20th, with Apple dropping all the way to 29th, one spot behind Google. There are 100 companies in the survey in total.

Amazon has taken the top spot in the survey in four of the last five years. Apple was in second place in 2016 and fifth in 2017. Google has also traditionally ranked much higher.

The Reputation Quotient measures perceptions of companies in six categories: Social responsibility, vision and leadership, financial performance, products and services, emotional appeal and workplace environment. It surveyed 25,800 adults, all in the U.S. across ethnic, geographic, educational, and occupational breakdowns.

The survey itself doesn't much get into the "why" of different companies' performance, but in an interview with Reuters, Harris Poll CEO John Gerzema said that he believes Apple and Google dropped in the survey because the two companies "have not introduced as many attention-grabbing products as they did in past years."

The bottom five are rounded out by auto parts maker Takata Corporation, The Weinstein Company, Equifax, Wells Fargo & Company, and the Trump Organization.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    OUCH!  Seems a bit meaningless, though, when people can't help tripping over each other to get the latest i-gadget.
    wlym
  • Reply 2 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    "Social responsibility, vision and leadership, financial performance, products and services, emotional appeal and workplace environment."
    sounds like it would suffer from a lack of objectivity.  Apple has certainly had some execution and product misses lately, but it is hard to see how Amazon would do well out of any of those.
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    entropys said:
    Apple has certainly had some execution and product misses lately, but it is hard to see how Amazon would do well out of any of those.
    "Hey Alexa, make sure that I give Amazon five hundred votes on any survey"

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    entropys said:
    "Social responsibility, vision and leadership, financial performance, products and services, emotional appeal and workplace environment."
    sounds like it would suffer from a lack of objectivity.  Apple has certainly had some execution and product misses lately, but it is hard to see how Amazon would do well out of any of those.
    To the average consumer, myself included, any dealings I've had with them have been exemplary - truly hassle-free returns, out-of-warranty issues, generally unbeatable prices (and when they are beat, they often price-match), instant responses to ANY queries, just a general feeling that they will bend over backwards to please you - I've not experiences many other companies that do such things. The dark side of amazon isn't often publicised, unlike the media's tendency to jump on anything anti-apple.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    entropys said:
    This feels more like a popularity and 'what have you done for me lately' type survey.  I'm sure "free" two day shipping is valued more than cell phones, which has become a basic utility for most.  Not saying that is right or fair, but more people get a positive view of Amazon on a daily basis than they realize how well their phone/tablet/watch/earphones/speaker are working.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    adm1 said:
    entropys said:
    To the average consumer, myself included, any dealings I've had with them have been exemplary - truly hassle-free returns, out-of-warranty issues, generally unbeatable prices (and when they are beat, they often price-match), instant responses to ANY queries, just a general feeling that they will bend over backwards to please you - I've not experiences many other companies that do such things. The dark side of amazon isn't often publicised, unlike the media's tendency to jump on anything anti-apple.
    This as well.  One main reason I shop with amazon is because it gives me another layer of assistance with any issues I may have.  if the seller doesn't respond when there is an issue, Amazon usually will.  I've had them step in and make things right on occasion.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    But, but, but, the millenialz! They LUV the Apple! 
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Amazon continues to play to win while Apple plays it conservatively so as to not lose. It's hard to tell what Apple is getting out of high R&D spending apart from whatever new stuff is going into the iPhone. I suppose that's where Apple needs to stay focused on but I still think there should be something left over for its other products. Even as an Apple shareholder, I don't care very much about polls, but Amazon seems to be taking away a lot of mindset from Apple. Amazon wins hands down for financial performance, and vision and leadership but I'm not so sure about those other things. I've been using Amazon Prime membership for years and I'd have to rate my experience as excellent. Amazon is definitely doing things right. I still expect more from Apple because of its abundant wealth, but maybe Apple is gaining wealth because it's ignoring other things it should be doing. Whatever. I'm still satisfied with Apple as a company overall. It's just no Amazon.
    elijahg
  • Reply 9 of 22
    entropys said:
    I think consumers love Amazon and Wall Street certainly loves Jeff Bezos. That carries an awful lot of weight. When was the last time you ever heard any consumer or reviewer complain about Amazon-made products? I don't think it ever happens. On the internet, Apple is constantly bombarded with negative stuff about its products.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Really? I think a lot of people that like cheap stuff delivered to their doors were in this poll, and not many that work for Amazon. Given what we have heard of the working conditions in their fulfillment centers, I doubt Amazon is fulfilling any 'social responsibility.. and workplace environment' gaps. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    Another crap poll for which the answers are dependent on who you ask. I'll equate this poll to the "Best Doctors in Any Town USA" or "Best Restaurant Place in Any Town USA". They are phony awards based on calls, completed surveys, or web voting. The result is an award that the winning company can't advertise until the pay the fee to participate and get their plaque.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    Amazon continues to play to win while Apple plays it conservatively so as to not lose. It's hard to tell what Apple is getting out of high R&D spending apart from whatever new stuff is going into the iPhone. I
    That's just it...why does Apple have to care what some survey respondents say about the company?  As the richest by cash company in the world, known for setting technological firsts focusing on what today you don't know you need...who cares?  HomePod...lackluster today.  Tomorrow, controlling all your HomeKit devices through your "didn't know you needed it 10 years ago" iPhone.  That's what billions a quarter in R&D does.  Sorry the planting of 1000s of trees at the Apple Park campus didn't appeal to the respondents and get Apple higher than 29 in a Harris survey!
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Hmmmm

i must question the integrity of the poll. In each of the categories, Apple has not only led publicly, but they have actual fruit to show for their labors. 

The poll must must have been taken in an Amazon boardroom. Weighed that or in a room full of only 60+ folks who still have amazon dash buttons stuck to their refrigerators. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Apple makes a revolutionary sensor that can track detailed face expressions and opens the path for AR in a real way, and then it goes to 29th place.

Amazon makes a concept grocery store, and a digital assistant and it's the innovation of the year.

Fuck me!

larryawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Apple is the lider in non conflict supply chain investigation, and fair labor, yet down it goes.

Hating Apple has become a hobby for some people.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This won't be popular here but:  Amazon has out innovated both Apple and Google...

While both Apple and Google have been growing out their product lines in a fast maturing market, Amazon has revolutionized retail to the point of putting America's shopping malls in danger of extinction.

Basically Amazon has created the same level of wave that Steve did in 2007 with the iPhone.

That is NOT to marginalize or belittle either Apple or Google.  Rather to recognize that neither has come out with any products that "changed the world" in the last 5 years or so while Amazon has done just that.

(And, while I am an Apple FanBoy, I am not an Amazon FanBoy.   In fact, I avoid Amazon in favor of EBay)
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 22
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Has anyone heard of this company? How is "reputation" defined? Releasing many shiny new things, as the CEO implies? To not even open the kimono to analyze the reasoning for the results reduces the benefit of the list greatly, regardless of who'e first or last. And the later story ranks Apple as the most reliable HW company...a major component, I would think, of assessing reputation of a company. I'm an Apple fan big time, and HUGE Prime user. I see far more tatters at the edges with Amazon than I do with Apple - their own shipping service is so unreliable I've had to contact corporate customer relations and they implement (a process already in place!) to de-prioritize Amazon delivery services in favor of UPS or USPS; more and more third party products as opposed to Amazon direct; overseas customer service with poor English communication and comprehension skills (and boilerplate responses); more "temporarily unavailable" items; large reduction in same day or next day free options after a big push to promote this feature...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So what this survey tells us is that Apple gets bad press. 

Unless those 28,500 people have all worked at, read the financial statements from, and studied the environmental reports from every company in the survey. 
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Rayz2016 said:
    So what this survey tells us is that Apple gets bad press. 

Unless those 28,500 people have all worked at, read the financial statements from, and studied the environmental reports from every company in the survey. 
    Yeah, the press loves hating on Apple. Just yesterday I was talking to a non-techy friend and he mentioned in passing how Apple had been "caught" engaging in planned obsolescence schemes with its iPhone. When the press sets out to establish a negative narrative against Apple it is nearly impossible to roll it back or beat it into submission with facts. Facts and truth no longer matter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    GHammerGHammer Posts: 52member
    How the major kowtow that Mr. Cook has done in China. iCloud keys indeed. The battery issue. I know why the throttling is done. Doesn't make me feel good about it being hidden from me. I see many compare/complain regarding Amazon. Amazon does not try to position itself as a progressive/caring company. Just an efficient one.