AirPower wireless charging mat for Apple Watch and iPhone arriving in March, claims supply...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Another publication has latched onto rumors that Apple will be launching its AirPower wireless charging mat in the next few weeks, with a report from DigiTimes about Taiwanese component shipment increases claiming the Apple-designed power accessory will arrive by the end of March.

The lede for the DigiTimes story mentions that Apple is "set to launch" AirPower before the end of the month, but doesn't offer a specific date. This matches the timing of rumors stemming from an unnamed Best Buy "tipster" and a source of Mac Otakara, both published last month, suggesting the release will take place in March.

So far, all Apple has confirmed about the AirPower mat's release is that it will be sometime in 2018, and has kept quiet about pricing, specifications, or a narrower release window.

Introduced during the September iPhone event, AirPower is designed to provide power to multiple devices simultaneously, with Apple advising it would be able to charge an iPhone, an Apple Watch, and the AirPods charging case at the same time.

DigiTimes' report sources claim AirPower will have a maximum charging performance of up to 29W, a significant increase from the 7.5W other single-device charging pads currently offer. It is unclear if the 29W refers to the maximum charging capability for a single device or for multiple devices at the same time, but it is probable that the single device charging rate will be a lower figure.

Industry sources cited by DigiTimes advised suppliers of the glass passivated package (GPP) bridge rectifiers, an important component for wireless charging, are expected to double shipments in the first quarter of 2018 from the previous quarter, with further rises in the second quarter also expected.

The sources explained that the lack of a need to meet Qi certification standards set by the Wireless Power Consortium means the GPP bridge rectifiers that support AirPower "do not involve complicated technology but require slim packing specs." So far, Taiwanese manufacturers of the components have delivered small-volume shipments since the second quarter of 2017, but are expected to rise with the imminent launch of AirPower-compatible devices.

DigiTimes has a poor track record regarding specific Apple features, or timing of releases, as it sources its data from individual parts suppliers who don't generally have a good handle on the whole situation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Yes, the AirPower is delayed according to sources.  There is a shortage of a critical part, and Apple is still making design decisions about whether it will be horizontal or vertical. In the end, we can be sure that this will be the thinnest charging mat that Apple has ever sold.
    2old4funStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,014member
    williamh said:
    Yes, the AirPower is delayed according to sources.  There is a shortage of a critical part, and Apple is still making design decisions about whether it will be horizontal or vertical. In the end, we can be sure that this will be the thinnest charging mat that Apple has ever sold.

I assume that was an attempt at humor;  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,014member
    I have a Qi charger we got free as a gift.  I use it with my iPhone X.  I really see no need to plunk down whatever they'll want for this product.  Even if you fully deplete your AirPods each day, you'd get 4-5 days of charges out of the case.  Jut plug it in and you're good.  
    albegarc
  • Reply 4 of 16
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    williamh said:
    Well written and very funny!
    albegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    sdw2001 said:
    I have a Qi charger we got free as a gift.  I use it with my iPhone X.  I really see no need to plunk down whatever they'll want for this product.  Even if you fully deplete your AirPods each day, you'd get 4-5 days of charges out of the case.  Jut plug it in and you're good.  
    I do not have a Qi charger and see plenty of reason to buy a triple charging mat for all three of my commonly used devices — in particular in my travel bag. Much cleaner and simpler than having to use multiple chargers and cables on the night stand, I can just leave this in my bag and be set wherever I’m hanging my hat. 
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    For the ones who are into crowd funding, there is one very much like it for 39$ on Indiegogo : Funxim.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    For the ones who are into crowd funding, there is one very much like it for 39$ on Indiegogo : Funxim.
    I don't think it's the same technology, nor do you need a Kickstarter to find a Qi mat with multiple targets. Ikea has one with three.

The AirPower appears to not need a specific location for a device on the mat. More about what offshoot of Qi we think it uses here:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/14/apple-airpower-charging-plate-uses-qi-protocol-but-may-not-be-compatible-with-other-devices
    edited March 2018 patchythepiratewillcropointfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I’m really looking forward to the AirPower but I sure hope the price isn’t the rumored $199. Just seems way to expensive. I know it charges multiple phones and can handle the Apple Watch too, but the most I could part with is $150. Think $129 would be perfect price. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    sdw2001 said:
    I have a wireless charger as well, which is good, but I’ll definitely be purchasing the AirPower when they eventually release it, simply cause of how easy it will be to charge my phone, watch and AirPods when I get the new case, no more annoying cables.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    JayVeeJayVee Posts: 26member
    I'm just looking forward to the next time Apple pleasantly surprises us with a price lower than expected.  Remember when the original iPad was rumoured to cost a thousand dollars, and when it was released everyone was wowed that it was only 499?
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    Wallet getting bored waiting. Let’s get this device to us already!
    watto_cobrabshankmavemufc
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    bluefire1 said:
    Wallet getting bored waiting. Let’s get this device to us already!
    Take my money? Me too :-)
    watto_cobrabshank
  • Reply 13 of 16
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    sdw2001 said:
    What about those of us that didn’t get a free charger as a gift, would it be worth it for us?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    JayVee said:
    I'm just looking forward to the next time Apple pleasantly surprises us with a price lower than expected.  Remember when the original iPad was rumoured to cost a thousand dollars, and when it was released everyone was wowed that it was only 499?

What about the AirPods? Are they considered expensive when compared to other offerings in the market? I can't recall what the reaction to the price was.

Considering what they offer, I don't think Apple products are expensive.

edited March 2018
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    JayVee said:

What about the AirPods? Are they considered expensive when compared to other offerings in the market? I can't recall what the reaction to the price was.

People were originally going crazy at the price of the AirPods, as usual with any product Apple announces.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    JayVee said:

I recall people estimating the AirPods would be $200 at launch based on existing products.