Apple debuts new iPhone X 'Unlock' commercial, focusing on Face ID

Posted:
in iPhone
New commercial for Face ID shows the potential of unlocking every lock with just a look.

Apple's newest advertisement, titled "Unlock," debuted on YouTube Friday afternoon. The sixty-second ad features a female high school student first using the Face ID feature on the iPhone X and then walking around her high school and unlocking various things- lockers, doors, a gymnasium supply closet and even a science lab with test animals inside. The slogan? "Unlock with a look.":

The song in the commercial is "Bang Bang" by Pete Cannon.
RossTeagan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This is cute. Made me chuckle. Loved the frogs.
    watto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 2 of 23
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Kind of cute, but it kinda implies you should be able to unlock everything with a look even things that do not belong to you.

It is like Midas with the golden touch, but the unlock look.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
     That is an awesome commercial, you gotta hand it 'em, (not dissimilar to a blind prostitute). I much prefer these to the cloyingly sentimental ones. Apple's commercials are like former cigarette branding where the intangible 'delights' of cigarette smoking were suggested wordlessly, the difference being that Apple really do 'delight'.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    “Debut” is good.

Brilliant ad too.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 5 of 23
    AWarrAWarr Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It would be a great ad if FaceID didn't suck. I miss TouchID every day. Reprogrammed my stupid phone at least half a dozen times, and on a good day FaceID works 60% of the time for me. I miss TouchID so much I've actually considered upgrading to an iPhone 8. Yes, I said upgrading.
    larryaKenster999
  • Reply 6 of 23
    AWarr said:
    It would be a great ad if FaceID didn't suck. I miss TouchID every day. Reprogrammed my stupid phone at least half a dozen times, and on a good day FaceID works 60% of the time for me. I miss TouchID so much I've actually considered upgrading to an iPhone 8. Yes, I said upgrading.
    You must be holding it wrong!

Seriously though, FaceID works more or less flawlessly. If you are having issues it is likely because: a) you are not looking at it when trying to unlock it (designed to require this for security reasons) or b) you are holding it too close to your face (happens to me quite often when I am lying in bed and try to unlock my phone).
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    AWarr said:
    If you’d be happier with an iPhone 8 and can afford to switch over do so.
    watto_cobraaegean
  • Reply 8 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    AWarr said:
    Did you try turning off Require Attention? Take it in, it's possibly defective. It works great for me.
    jony0
  • Reply 9 of 23
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Now that’s a commercial, that’s what I am talking about! People definitely will talk about it!
    watto_cobraNotsofast
  • Reply 10 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    This commercial is aimed at a certain demographic (while still being amusing to most) and hits a complete bullseye. The song is exceptionally good -- I would have sworn it was written especially for this ad.
    propod
  • Reply 11 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    AWarr said:
    It would be a great ad if FaceID didn't suck.
    I don't own an iPhone X myself, but several friends do. According to them, it works perfectly and requires less than a second (unlike, ironically, in the ad). There's clearly something up with yours, or as others have suggested you're holding it too close.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Someone noticed what appears to be a UI bug in how the notification animation works.

[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    That was very funny!

No explanations, just there to make folk chuckle. Good job.
  • Reply 14 of 23

AWarr said:

Have you tried not pointing it at the back of your head?
    dsdking editor the grateNotsofastpscooter63
  • Reply 15 of 23

maestro64 said:
    Kind of cute, but it kinda implies you should be able to unlock everything with a look even things that do not belong to you.

Oh good grief.

🤦🏾‍♂️
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Yeah thats pretty cool.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    AWarr said:
    I know multiple people with the X that don’t  have this issue. If reprogrammed your phone means you restored it 6 times  and it still isn’t working make an appointment and take it in, that’s what the warranty is for. Face ID isn’t some half baked thing Apple tossed on the phone before release. From what I know it works well and so should yours. It’s a 1000.00 phone why in the world would you not have it looked at?

That’s like buying a new car and the door locks work 60% of the time. Would you bitch about it on a forum or take it to the dealership to be fixed immediately and properly? 

I also habe have my doubts that you actually have the X as your first post it to bitch about Face ID and how it sucks. Maybe you do, maybe you don’t who knows, but you would be foolish at this point not to have the phone looked at and possibly swapped out. Stuff happens let Apple make it right. 
    dsd
  • Reply 18 of 23
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    Soli said:
    Someone noticed what appears to be a UI bug in how the notification animation works.

I've had that same issue on my iPhone X for several months now.  Keep wishing it would go away, but iOS update after iOS update it continues to linger.  They need to fix this.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jcs2305 said:
    AWarr said:
    I know multiple people with the X that don’t  have this issue. If reprogrammed your phone means you restored it 6 times  and it still isn’t working make an appointment and take it in, that’s what the warranty is for. Face ID isn’t some half baked thing Apple tossed on the phone before release. From what I know it works well and so should yours. It’s a 1000.00 phone why in the world would you not have it looked at?

That’s like buying a new car and the door locks work 60% of the time. Would you bitch about it on a forum or take it to the dealership to be fixed immediately and properly? 

I also habe have my doubts that you actually have the X as your first post it to bitch about Face ID and how it sucks. Maybe you do, maybe you don’t who knows, but you would be foolish at this point not to have the phone looked at and possibly swapped out. Stuff happens let Apple make it right. 
    The word you are looking for is "fabricated story", when a story makes no sense, it actually didn't happen and is part of a troll narrative.
    A normal person would not act like this, they would actually do something to solve this instead of whining about it.

I see these things stories all the time - Oh, I hate this phone I bought 5 days ago, it is the worse phone in the universe - , well why the hell are still using it, return it and STFU about it... Macrumors are a haven for those kind of trolls.

edited March 2018 Notsofast
  • Reply 20 of 23
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    maestro64 said:

Come on, it doesn't imply that at all.  No one would have that bizarre take on it, rather than the obvious that Face ID is powerful and extremely easy to use way to unlock your iPhone.