Mazda gives in, to deliver Apple CarPlay support with 2018 Mazda6

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
After promising future support for Apple's CarPlay earlier this month, Mazda on Wednesday revealed two upcoming models will boast integration with the infotainment system, with the first set to launch this summer.

Mazda's first CarPlay- and Android Auto-compatible model will be the 2018 Mazda6, the automaker's popular mid size sedan. The announcement was made during a presentation at the New York International Auto Show, where Mazda detailed a range of new cars and corporate initiatives.

On Mazda6, CarPlay will be standard on Touring, Grand Touring, Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trim levels, leaving Sport as the lone trim that goes without. Apple's in-car connectivity interface will be displayed on an 8-inch screen running Mazda Connect, the marque's proprietary infotainment system.

Introduced at the LA Auto Show in 2017, the 2018 Mazda6 is rolling out at dealerships this spring. Customers who purchase the car before CarPlay availability debuts will be able to upgrade their Mazda Connect system to support the feature.

Further, Mazda this fall plans to begin sales of a CarPlay and Android Auto retrofit kit for older vehicles with Mazda Connect. The company promised retroactive upgrades earlier this month.

The company failed to provide details on upgrade or retrofit costs, but the package should be in line with current offerings from other carmakers. Former Mazda partner Ford, for example, offers a CarPlay upgrade route for owners with Sync 3 infotainment systems for a nominal fee. The package consists of a compatible USB port and software enhancements.

According to a press release from Mazda's Canadian branch, CarPlay will also appear in the 2019 CX9 when it arrives in the Great White North this summer. Whether the model will gain CarPlay access in other regions is unknown, but the company said the technology will roll out to its entire model line-up after its debut on CX-9.

Mazda is one of the last major manufacturers to adopt CarPlay. Last week, Toyota, another longtime holdout, announced its first CarPlay model in the 2019 Corolla Hatchback, which is due to go on sale this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    They didn't promise "earlier this month". That was over a year ago. They've been stringing customers along for over 14 months.
    edited March 2018 pg4g0001pl0323racerhomie3dysamoriadoozydozenwatto_cobrajesusfreak
  • Reply 2 of 25
    pl0323pl0323 Posts: 1member
    Purchased 2016 Mazda, which was supposed to support car play. It's been 2 years of broken promises. But hey, they'll replace your cabin air filter for $85, what a trade off...
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Most makers are putting CarPlay in the high end models first, making buyers pay extra to get it. When you think about that approach, what they are saying is: “Our attempts at UI are crap, if you want the good stuff pay up.” 
    GeorgeBMacdysamoriadoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    i recently bought a 2018 mazda 3 mid level with 6spd manual fully loaded minus nav, they claimed it’d cost $400 to add it, i bought an oem chip online for $85 and nav works fine.. Mazda’s info system is by far one of the worst however.. if they are adding support to apples and android play to their current system why can’t they do a software upgrade for everyone?
    dysamoriadoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Still, hard to beat BMW: forcing their customers to pay a subscription for something they didn’t even build. 
    fluffheadGeorgeBMacdysamoriamacxpressLukeCagedoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I do understand how Apple would like to see this feature in as many vehicles as possible, but at some point, Apple needs to forbid auto OEM’s from offering selective availability in a model range as well as forbidding charging extra to unlock the feature. 

Hopefully that day comes sooner than later. 
    edited March 2018 dysamoriadoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    epicurus said:
    i recently bought a 2018 mazda 3 mid level with 6spd manual fully loaded minus nav, they claimed it’d cost $400 to add it, i bought an oem chip online for $85 and nav works fine.. Mazda’s info system is by far one of the worst however.. if they are adding support to apples and android play to their current system why can’t they do a software upgrade for everyone?
    I think that's what they'll do, basically a software update you could probably do in your own driveway even if they won't let you, but charge for it like some other automakers are. :(

My wife won't care either way (she's currently driving a 2018 CX5 GT) but after using Android Auto for a few months in one of our other vehicles I'd personally prefer to use it over the Mazda nav/infotainment. She's very accustomed to it having driven Mazda for quite a few years but like you I too find their system to be confusing and too difficult to use on the road. But their safety systems are top-notch, and the HUD being very well done IMO.
    edited March 2018 doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I would be quite happy to drop the whole car radio type thing and just provide a slot with a power connector to slip in an iPad.  It could connect via bluetooth or WiFi to a powered, generic speaker system and camera system.
    -- security
    -- functionality
    -- upgradeability

doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I assume the retrofit won't be available for the 2015 Mazda 3 I'm driving, or it'll cost an insane amount, like the insanely expensive navigation system add-on I refuse to pay for... I already have navigation in my phone. Why would anyone pay $400 for software on a stick when they have a phone that includes GPS???
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    I won't buy another car without CarPlay - I've gotten way to used to it in my car, so much so that I don't like it when I'm in another car without it.
    kingofsomewherehotdoozydozenwatto_cobrajesusfreak
  • Reply 11 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Auto makers without CarPlay and App that let you remotely control(door locks,where parked,gas left,start,etc) and know about Cars health are at disadvantage. In recent years, many Car dealers whose cars have CarPlay used and tout as key feature, marketing tool against competitors whose didn't have. When loyal baby-boomers and Millennium customers spoke with there wallet bought competitors cars with CarPlay than even stubborn Toyota listened, caved in and 2019 RAV4, Corolla(hatchback), Avalon all come with CarPlay equipped. Next will be Camry,Prius,etc.
    edited March 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 25
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    Wow...another reason for me to consider 2018 mazda6 2.5t GT...Great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Rayz2016 said:
    Still, hard to beat BMW: forcing their customers to pay a subscription for something they didn’t even build. 
    Hey, it is BMW! No one can beat them in douchebaggery!

doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I can just slap my iPad on the dash and avoid all the BS.
    doozydozenGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 25
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Took a Mazda CX-5 for a test drive a couple weeks ago. The vehicle had a very quiet cabin, the top end audio system sounded amazing. The cabin was beautiful. The tech was very well done, there was a heads-up display on the windshield, steering headlights. Lots of great tech.

Then there was the touchscreen. Or, more specifically, the software it was displaying. Needle scratch. Not good.

I wasn't shopping for myself, but if I had been, I think I would have bought the CX-5 even with the crummy software. But since I'm not quite ready for a new car, I'll give Mazda a couple more years to get the infotainment system squared away.

It's only taken 5 years for me to find a car I actually want to buy which is at least PLANNING on adding CarPlay.

Guess I'm thankful Apple hasn't given up on pushing CarPlay. I never thought we would still be waiting for mainstream brands like Mazda to add the feature.
    gatorguyGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Same here! I just slap my iMac Pro on the dashboard and I’m golden!
    StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Not at all the same as using CarPlay. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Despite packing a Series 0, iPhone X, and AirPods, I hop into my rusty 2001 Silverado and enter Dôrk Tímës. The CD and AM still work, but the FM is fried; front speakers are cracked and rattly, back speakers kinda shot as well.

The local GM mechanics say the drivetrain will be good for another 170,000 miles, which, with my 3-minute commute, means I could put off a new car until 2052. Hopefully my next vehicle will have FlyingCarPlay.
    tokyojimugatorguy
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Rayz2016 said:
    Same here! I just slap my iMac Pro on the dashboard and I’m golden!
    And you got yourself almost a Tesla interior!

edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member

Despite packing a Series 0, iPhone X, and AirPods, I hop into my rusty 2001 Silverado and enter Dôrk Tímës. The CD and AM still work, but the FM is fried; front speakers are cracked and rattly, back speakers kinda shot as well.

The local GM mechanics say the drivetrain will be good for another 170,000 miles, which, with my 3-minute commute, means I could put off a new car until 2052. Hopefully my next vehicle will have FlyingCarPlay.
    Whack a really cool aftermarket head unit in it. It might cost as much as the car, but worth it. Best of both worlds!
    king editor the grate