Apple hires Samsung executive to lead operations in South Korea

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has seemingly poached an executive away from rival Samsung to lead business efforts in the South Korean tech conglomerate's own backyard, a market that has proven difficult for the iPhone maker to crack.

Seoul Apple Store
Apple Garosugil

According to his LinkedIn profile, Brandon Yoon has been named general manager of Apple Korea. Bloomberg spotted the change to Yoon's account on Monday.

A longtime Microsoft employee who progressed through eight different positions in Japan, Korea, Singapore and the U.S. between 2003 to 2015, Yoon most recently served as corporate vice president at Samsung from 2015 to March 2018. He was hired by Apple in April.

Apple declined to comment on the matter.

The home country of chief smartphone rival Samsung, South Korea has been a thorn in Apple's side over the past few months. In November, authorities raided Apple's offices over"unfair" business practices related to selling iPhone in the country. Investigators reportedly questioned Apple employees at the site, though it is unclear whether physical evidence was seized during the incident.

Thought to be an extension of a 2016 investigation led by South Korea's Fair Trade Commission, the raid sought information on special provisions Apple applied to regional cellular carriers in return for access to the hot-selling smartphone. The company allegedly required telcos to buy a minimum number of iPhones, share repair costs and seek artificial limitations on lawsuit filings.

More recently, the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office initiated an investigation into the iPhone slowdown controversy. The body previously probed Apple over its handling of iPhone batteries last year, and officially assigned the matter to its intellectual property-related crime unit in January.

Despite governmental troubles, Apple continues to battle Samsung on its home turf and earlier this year opened its first South Korean retail store in the affluent Garosugil area.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Really? They couldn’t find one from Hyundai? Kia? Or many others from an impressive talent pool in that county?
    cornchipanton zuykovSpamSandwichjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Really? They couldn’t find one from Hyundai? Kia? Or many others from an impressive talent pool in that county?
    How do you know this guy isn't impressive? I have to assume that Apple didn't hire this guy without some vetting.
    randominternetpersonjony0
  • Reply 3 of 12
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    What's the famous Russian saying "trust buy verify"
    tallest skiljony0
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I hope they checked his rap sheet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I was gonna say I hope he was one of the non-corrupt ones, but maybe that's what you need to succeed in South Korea.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    metrix said:
    What's the famous Russian saying "trust buy verify"
    You most likely had mistyped- trust, BUT verify!
    edited April 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Samsung is an evil company.  In 2004, they harasseed one employee who tried to form a union so badly that he committed suicide.  Then Samsung took his body from the hospital and cremated the body without the consent of the family.
    jbdragonh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I hope he doesn't turn out to be a double agent (and I'm only somewhat kidding).
    jbdragonSpamSandwichjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Samsung mole reporting back so the copying can continue? /s
    jbdragonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I hope he doesn't turn out to be a double agent (and I'm only somewhat kidding).
    He sounds like the perfect Samsung mole.
    edited April 2018 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    Perfect mole would be the one who is very close to the R&D teams in Cali. General manager (regional manager, essentially) should and probably has NO control over any R&D at all....except maybe "R&D-ing" of booklets and other materials for marketing in that region. Yes, he probably will have some info one when certain product launches in Korea... But, if I recall correctly, Samsung never had any problem outpacing Apple in terms of reveals of a new products. The problem for them always has been - to know what to work on, and which features to design, reverse engineer and manufacture... For this the guys will unlikely be of any help to Samsung. I also doubt Apple execs are that stupid to just hire a mole.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 12 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Perfect mole would be the one who is very close to the R&D teams in Cali. General manager (regional manager, essentially) should and probably has NO control over any R&D at all....except maybe "R&D-ing" of booklets and other materials for marketing in that region. Yes, he probably will have some info one when certain product launches in Korea... But, if I recall correctly, Samsung never had any problem outpacing Apple in terms of reveals of a new products. The problem for them always has been - to know what to work on, and which features to design, reverse engineer and manufacture... For this the guys will unlikely be of any help to Samsung. I also doubt Apple execs are that stupid to just hire a mole.
    On the other hand, Apple seems to have no difficulty hiring leakers (as evidenced in their leaked memo about leakers).
    edited April 2018