Apple Watch heart rate monitor saves Florida teen's life

Posted:
in Apple Watch
The heart rate monitor on the device helped save the life of an 18-year-old suffering from undiagnosed kidney disease.

Apple Watch saved a Florida woman's life

According to WFTS, 18-year-old Deanna Recktenwald, of the Tampa area, was at an area church recently when her Apple Watch gave her a notification: her resting heart rate had reached 190 beats per minute, recommending that she seek medical attention.

Her mother, a registered nurse, then took her to a walk-in clinic, and later to an emergency room, where doctors gave her a diagnosis of chronic kidney disease, for which she had expressed no previous symptoms.

Stacey Recktenwald, Deanna's mother, later wrote a letter to Apple.

"If it wasn't for her Apple watch alarming her about her HR we wouldn't have discovered her kidney issue. I honestly feel your Apple Watch saved my daughter's life," Stacey wrote. "I am forever grateful to Apple for developing such an amazing, lifesaving product."

Tim Cook reportedly wrote back personally, thanking the Recktenwalds for sharing their story.

This is not the first instance in which an Apple Watch user has claimed the device saved their life. A woman late last year used the Emergency SOS feature to summon police after a terrible car accident. And a man in New York, also in 2017, discovered a pulmonary embolism via HeartWatch, Men's Health reported.
bb-15Rich031256

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    The Apple Watch discovered Atrial Fibrillation in my heart the day after I installed the Apple Heart Study app. I've since had surgery and have it under control. My wife tells people it saved my life too.
    king editor the gratemacxpressGG1racerhomie3jbdragonviclauyycjony0bb-15stanthemaniqatedo
  • Reply 2 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    When the Apple Watch gets a little more medically aware and stories like this one spread Apple won't be able to make enough of them. They will be flying off the shelves. So much for the negative blathering here about how the Watch doesn't do anything more than the iPhone and is therefore useless and redundant and won't sell and is a fail for Apple. Millions will be wearing them. Oh wait, they already are!
    macxpressbrucemcericthehalfbeeracerhomie3jbdragonStrangeDaysstanhopejony0bb-15macplusplus
  • Reply 3 of 46
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lkrupp said:
    When the Apple Watch gets a little more medically aware and stories like this one spread Apple won't be able to make enough of them. They will be flying off the shelves. So much for the negative blathering here about how the Watch doesn't do anything more than the iPhone and is therefore useless and redundant and won't sell and is a fail for Apple. Millions will be wearing them. Oh wait, they already are!
    I very much agree...just like with other Apple products previous to Apple Watch, it will start to change people's lives. This is what Apple does and they think ahead even when others don't. They didn't just sit at a table and decide to make a watch. I'm sure they had a strategy and it takes time to develop the watch, get it to market and start to play out that strategy. Nothing happens over night. 

I know that I hate when I sometimes forget to put mine on. I feel naked without it. I not only love to try and close my circles, but its also very handy for me to do a quick look at emails, delete the ones that don't pertain to me, use ApplePay with it, etc. I have an Apple Watch Series 0 (original) and its slightly slow for me which can get frustrating and I'd love to be able to get a new one at some point. 

I see more and more people wearing them and these are people doing all types of work from teachers, students, retail workers, doctors, nurses, and other professions. I'm seeing more people wearing Apple Watches than Fitbits, or ugh, Android based watches. 

This is something that happened on Tim's watch (no pun intended). God forbid Apple do something successful under Tim Cook and not Steve Jobs. 
    GG1jbdragonlkruppStrangeDaysjony0stanthemanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 46

radiotube said:
    The Apple Watch discovered Atrial Fibrillation in my heart the day after I installed the Apple Heart Study app. I've since had surgery and have it under control. My wife tells people it saved my life too.
    Thats so awesome to hear that Apple Watch caught this and I'm glad it caught it in time for you so it didn't turn into a possibly fatal issue. Its stories like this that makes Apple such an awesome company with great products. Its a shame others don't see Apple that way. What other tech company is doing stuff like this. I'm glad it was caught and you are here to tell such a success story. 
    racerhomie3bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 46
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    lkrupp said:
    You think so? There were monitors like that 10-15 years ago for half price. In fact I bought one and sent overseas for family member with terminal ilness. Nothing new. Yes they will be sold because of hype - not because of some special features that are new on the market. Thise hear rate monitors were not cool at the time - Apple watch is cool and in fashion. That is it. Nothing more.
    edited May 2018 dasanman69
  • Reply 6 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    You think so? There were monitors like that 10-15 years ago for half price. In fact I bought one and sent overseas for family member with terminal ilness. Nothing new. Yes they will be sold because of hype - not because of some special features that are new on the market.
    Can these monitors that were cheaper to detect multiple things, other than just heart issues? Or, do I have to purchase a monitor for this and a monitor for that? If so, how is it cheaper then? There are folks in this world unfortunately that have multiple issues. 

Also, can this monitor make you get out an exercise (close your rings)? Can it do things like ApplePay? Email? iMessage? Apple Music? I don't think you're seeing the big picture. 
    racerhomie3StrangeDaysbb-15stanthemanjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 46
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    lkrupp said:
    You think so? There were monitors like that 10-15 years ago for half price. In fact I bought one and sent overseas for family member with terminal ilness. Nothing new. Yes they will be sold because of hype - not because of some special features that are new on the market. Thise hear rate monitors were not cool at the time - Apple watch is cool and in fashion. That is it. Nothing more.
    If you truly believe that (and are not just trolling), then you have a serious cognitive impairment.
    jbdragonberndogneo-techStrangeDaysjony0stanthemanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 46
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    lkrupp said:

I call BS until you list some actual makes/models.
    StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    lkrupp said:
    What's the name of these miracle devices? Wait, you sent something to people you already KNEW had a terminal illness. How is that even remotely the same thing to a kid and parent having no idea and the watch giving them a warning they wouldn't have known otherwise?
    StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    lkrupp said:
    Ridiculous. People aren't running out to buy a heart rate monitor, but if they are using the multiple functions of a Watch AND it happens to notify the user of a serious problem, then that's the real advantage. Chances are that girl would have had a more serious issue resulting from kidney failure had the Watch not alerted her to the heart rate.
    edited May 2018 StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 46
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Do you need a device to tell you that your resting heart rate is 190 beats per minute?
    dasanman69krawall
  • Reply 12 of 46
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Nice save. Pity about the thousands maimed/killed walking across roads whilst texting on their phones
  • Reply 13 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wozwoz said:
    Nice save. Pity about the thousands maimed/killed walking across roads whilst texting on their phones
    And it's all Apple's fault. We get it. Thank you for your contribution to the thread.
    SolimacxpressStrangeDaysbrucemcjony0bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Atheists on other sites are making nasty comments and asking why god didn't step in to save the girl. But maybe he did. Maybe he helped the ambulance navigate traffic to get to her faster. Remember, god works in mysterious Waze.

edited May 2018 gutengelpaxmanlowededwookiejony0beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 15 of 46
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    lkrupp said:
    wozwoz said:
    And it's all Apple's fault. We get it. Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

OF COURSE IS APPLE's FAULT! They invented Texting and Driving.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    I know that I hate when I sometimes forget to put mine on. I feel naked without it. 
    Maybe you're wearing it wrong. Heyo!
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:

"Way to go! You've managed to close your butthurt ring and it's still only morning! Keep this up and you'll earn a Sphincter award for May! You are AWESOME!"

king editor the grateStrangeDaysbrucemcmacxpressjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:

Atheists on other sites are nasty making comments asking why god didn't step in to save the girl. But maybe he did. Maybe he helped the ambulance navigate traffic to get to her faster. Remember, god works in mysterious Waze.

Nailed it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    "Way to go! You've managed to close your butthurt ring and it's still only morning! Keep this up and you'll earn a Sphincter award for May! You are AWESOME!"
    And he's bragging about "half the price" and they did nothing but monitor the heart rate. I doubt anyone buys an Apple Watch specifically to read your pulse rate

We'll eventually see a story about how someone was trapped and the cellular option and 9-1-1 feature on the Watch ended up saving their life and he'll chime in with, "You think so? There have been cellphones since the 1970s and the emergency hotline has been around since the 1960s. Apple watch is cool and in fashion. That is it. Nothing more."
    edited May 2018 brucemcRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    lkrupp said:
    Jesus what absolute bullshit. How do you come up with it every day? Too bad Apple doesn’t have an ulcer detecting device, you may have one. 

Show us what one of these half-priced HR monitors from 15 years ago looked like, please — I want to see whether it’s size was nearly as small and thus encouraging of use. Also, how many were in use? 
    watto_cobra