iPhone app controls $699 DJI Ronin-S single-handed stabilizer for DSLR, mirrorless cameras...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2018
The DJI Ronin-S image stabilizer brings inexpensive image stabilization to the users, in conjunction with an iPhone app to control the unit.

The DJI Ronin-S stabilizer, now available for pre-order

The Ronin-S, billed at the first single-handed stabilizer for DSLRs and other mirrorless camera systems, is now available for pre-order at a retail price of $699, before reaching retail late next month, with Ronin-S firmware, which will enable camera parameter control, set to follow in July. It's marketed as a relatively affordable way to achieve professional-looking camera stabilization without spending thousands of dollars.

The product uses DJI's three-axis gimbal technology which, the company says, "compensates for zoom lenses with external zooming barrels and higher magnification ratios, while its advanced stabilization algorithms work with both in-camera and in-lens optical stabilization technology... " Also offered is a high-precision joystick and a Focus Wheel that can be mounted on either side of the handle.

The Ronin-S can also be mounted to a vehicle, and has been tested at up to 47 mph.

The DJI Ronin-S, another look

The DJI Ronin mobile app, available in the App Store, allows users to adjust camera settings and configure advanced customization, including through panorama, Motionlapse, Timelapse and Track.

The Ronin-S also includes the Manfrotto quick release system and is available with most DJI Pro Accessories.

DJI, a China-based company, is mostly associated with drones, including the Magic Air drone; it also offers similar gimbal products, such as the Osmo Mobile 2, which work directly with iPhones.

Where to buy

The Ronin-S is available for pre-order at both DJI and B&H Photo for $699. B&H, a DJI authorized dealer, currently expects orders to ship on June 11, a shorter wait time compared to DJI's 20 to 25 business day wait. B&H is also tacking on free expedited shipping to the contiguous U.S. for faster delivery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I purchased the Osmo Mobile 2 a few weeks ago and am stilling learning to use it.  But initial impressions are very favorable - inexpensive, easy to set up and does a good job of stabilization for moderate video work.   I have yet to test the tentpole features such as follow me and star tracking, which are tied to the iOS app.

I would imagine this version would be more robust (all metal instead of part plastic).
    tzm41
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    If it's mirrorless, doesn't that mean it's not "reflex"?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hi Emoeller, i was just wondering about the fact if the DJI Ronin S is usable as a star tracker... so I think there is no extra option in the app for star tracking right? I think the only way to use the Ronin S as a star tracker is that you have to point one axis to polaris and let it circle with the pace from earth right? (1 full rotation in one day?) I would be really thankful if you have any information about that :) Mark
    emoeller said:
    I purchased the Osmo Mobile 2 a few weeks ago and am stilling learning to use it.  But initial impressions are very favorable - inexpensive, easy to set up and does a good job of stabilization for moderate video work.   I have yet to test the tentpole features such as follow me and star tracking, which are tied to the iOS app.

I would imagine this version would be more robust (all metal instead of part plastic).