Starship Exeter @ mac.com

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey check this out.

Some Star Trek fans made their own episode of Star Trek. They're hosting it at mac.com.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/starshipexeter/"; target="_blank">Starship Exeter</a>

Read it on Slashdot

<a href="http://slashdot.org/articles/03/01/02/0337216.shtml?tid=129"; target="_blank">Fan-Made Star Trek Episode Available for Download</a>

[quote]Minnesota trekker writes "Two Minnesota fans of the original "Star Trek" series spent seven years, off and on, creating an all-new episode in the 1960s style using their own actors, sets and props. Behold, the U.S.S. Exeter (www.starshipexeter.com). The episode's look and feel is amazingly authentic. The story is inventive and the acting surprisingly good. The damn thing, dubbed "The Savage Empire," is actually watchable. The site gives lots of details on how the episode was created, and even more background is available on the Pioneer Press site."<hr></blockquote>

:cool:

The funny part is that they overloaded Mac.com

[quote]Well, well ... 10,000 hits an hour were just a little beyond what Mac.Com was willing to tolerate. The movies have been taken offline until an alternative host can be found. If you are interested in hosting Starship Exeter "The Savage Empire" please contact us at the email address below.<hr></blockquote>

Maybe Apple's Quicktime site can help out

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Scott ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    omg. That sure takes a lot of dedication!

Watching now... the recorded audio isn't great, but otherwise it looks fantastic.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Well, only the teaser and Act 1 are online. It really looks great so far, though! Complete with cheesy one-liners, hilarious monster effects, and the occasional death of a "red shirt".

I can't wait to see the rest of it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I was able to download all 5 clips...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Yeah, the rest of them came online a few hours later and I finished watching them around lunchtime.

Great stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I saw the intro and the dialog is horrible.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>I saw the intro and the dialog is horrible.</strong><hr></blockquote>

wow, so it's just like the original?!?
  • Reply 7 of 13

<strong>I saw the intro and the dialog is horrible.</strong><hr></blockquote>Yeah, that's kinda the point.

I take it you never watched the original Star Trek.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm 32 years old. You know I watched the old one. The dialog seems like it came from people who aren't writers. They seems to use the wrong words in the wrong places. I'd pick out examples but I'm on a dial up right now and can't download the movie.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    I think that it's amazing. I've only watched the teaser (25MB) and I am impressed. That's a hell of a lot of work and attention to detail.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 10 of 13
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member

<strong>I'm 32 years old. You know I watched the old one. The dialog seems like it came from people who aren't writers. They seems to use the wrong words in the wrong places. I'd pick out examples but I'm on a dial up right now and can't download the movie.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I enjoy Star Trek but you are correct, the diologue and acting are absolutely awful. I had to turn the damn thing off, I couldn't stand it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I didn't mind the bad acting because I realize it's just a fan spoof. These are complete amateurs, not Holywood big-wigs. They're just a couple of brothers with a bunch of friends that had this cool idea and the means to try to pull it off. For that I think they did a fantastic job.

Two thumbs up.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>I didn't mind the bad acting because I realize it's just a fan spoof. These are complete amateurs, not Holywood big-wigs. They're just a couple of brothers with a bunch of friends that had this cool idea and the means to try to pull it off. For that I think they did a fantastic job.

Two thumbs up. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to agree. Whoever said "suprisingly strong acting" has got to be kidding though.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    The art and sound design is really well done! The acting of the "red shirts" was CLASSIC..."just walk with eyes squinting until you are vaporized." The principle actors were barely palatable, which is fine for a fan film, but what I don't get is why didn't the Andorian know where anything was or even open the station entrance himself?