MacBook & iPad Pro updates might not make it to WWDC

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited May 2018
While Apple's WWDC 2018 keynote on June 4 should contain some important announcements, new MacBooks and iPads won't be among them, a report claimed on Thursday.

MacBook Pro

The company is crafting new models of the MacBook Pro and 12-inch MacBook, as well as a replacement for the MacBook Air, Bloomberg sources said, backing up some earlier rumors. But none of these are expected to ship until later in 2018, even though Apple last refreshed its MacBooks in the same month last year.

The sources added that updated iPad Pros with Face ID are also coming, but they'll likewise miss WWDC despite a prior refresh happening in June 2017.

Software announcements may include "iOS 12" upgrades like an unspecified "Digital Health" initiative, more control over notifications, and the introduction of "ARKit 2.0." The last item will allegedly enable multiplayer gaming in compatible apps.

Apple's rumored efforts at putting iOS apps on Macs may make an appearance, but that's uncertain.

When they do upgrade, at least some MacBooks are expected to shift to Intel's faster Coffee Lake processors, and could even adopt TrueDepth cameras to support Face ID. Upgrades to the Air are less certain, but the laptop is now badly outdated, lacking even a Retina display.

Beyond WWDC, Bloomberg's sources indicated that two new Apple Watches are coming that will retain the same overall size, but switch to slightly bigger edge-to-edge OLED screens. These will presumably arrive in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    jmadarajmadara Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    The hell you say! I need a new iPad Pro badly.
    bshankNameo_watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 131
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,239member
    I'm kind of disappointed that Apple hasn't updated the iMac since the Core i7 8700K came out last year. That's actually a pretty big CPU upgrade relative to the current model. I'm wondering if Apple is trying to protect iMac Pro sales by dragging its feet on adding the 8700K to the regular iMac. 
    entropysaylk
  • Reply 3 of 131
    All in good time, probably waiting for the next iOS update to support the 'pad & the macOS update to support the 'book pro.  But then ... what is the 1 hardware item to appear at the WWDC?  Surely not the macMini! 
  • Reply 4 of 131
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Well there you have it...I think its time for Tim to go! /s
    StrangeDaysronn
  • Reply 5 of 131
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    If true, this is a huge missed opportunity for Apple. I was planing to buy the new iPad Pro w pencil this month and then the new Apple Watch with Airpods on fall. But getting all new products announcements on fall will me think twice about which devices I will get. It feels less of a punch in your wallet when you get 3+ months between purchases, and I'm sure many people feel the same way...
    bshankentropys
  • Reply 6 of 131
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    All I want is a multi-user support for the iPad in iOS 12. I share an iPad (2018) with our son. He uses it for school stuff and games; I use it for reading eBooks, surfing the web etc. I have no interest in buying a separate tablet because one works fine. But it sure would be nice if I could enable iMessages without him seeing my information, and for us to have our own home pages/Safari bookmarks/history, etc.

It seems like such a no-brainer thing to add and I don't know what has taken so long. 
    blastdoortenthousandthingsmuthuk_vanalingamtoysandmemcdaveaegeanjesusfreakurahara
  • Reply 7 of 131
    mazda 3s said:
    All I want is a multi-user support for the iPad in iOS 12. I share an iPad (2018) with our son. He uses it for school stuff and games; I use it for reading eBooks, surfing the web etc. I have no interest in buying a separate tablet because one works fine. But it sure would be nice if I could enable iMessages without him seeing my information, and for us to have our own home pages/Safari bookmarks/history, etc.

It seems like such a no-brainer thing to add and I don't know what has taken so long. 

This is available on the education side already and works quite well...we'll see if it happens on the consumer side. 
    ronn
  • Reply 8 of 131
    ...  But then ... what is the 1 hardware item to appear at the WWDC?  Surely not the macMini! 
    I'll argue that it's going to be the Mac mini. It fits with HomeKit and Airplay 2 coming to macOS, which seems likely to be a key part of the software announcements.

So the Mac mini as, among other possibilities, a media server integrated with HomePod and everything it stands for: HomeKit and audioOS/tvOS.
    edited May 2018 blastdoorjesusfreakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 131
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple never releases products until they are fully baked. But when they do, it's worth the wait.
    ronnbadmonklamboaudi4
  • Reply 10 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    OR they might.
  • Reply 11 of 131
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    nunzy said:
    Apple never releases products until they are fully baked. But when they do, it's worth the wait.
    MBP Butterfly-Key Keyboard? ;)
    nunzydws-2cgWerksmuthuk_vanalingamurahara
  • Reply 12 of 131
    nunzy said:
    I'd say there are plenty of apple products that were released before fully baked. Some examples:

1. The original iPhone didn't have an App Store or even copy/paste. 
    2. HomePod launched without AirPort 2 -- a key feature of the device. 
    3. Version 1.0 of Apple Maps resulted in a public apology for its poor quality. 
    4. Siri was initially released as a "beta" and is arguably still pretty far from "fully baked". 

Nevertheless, I do think it's fair to say that Apple's products tend to be more baked than many of their competitors. 
    nunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 131

...  But then ... what is the 1 hardware item to appear at the WWDC?  Surely not the macMini! 
    I'll argue that it's going to be the Mac mini. It fits with HomeKit and Airplay 2 coming to macOS, which seems likely to be a key part of the software announcements.

So the Mac mini as, among other things, a home server integrated with HomePod and everything it stands for: HomeKit and audioOS/tvOS.
    I think it would be great if they released a new Mac mini.

I also think it would be great if they released some kind of "HomeBase" to support HomeKit devices, act as a replacement for TimeCapsule, and perhaps other home-server functions. 

But I would hope these would be two separate devices, because I'd like the Mac mini to be a "real computer", not an appliance. 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 131
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mazda 3s said:
    nunzy said:
    MBP Butterfly-Key Keyboard? ;)
    Ah, this @Nunzy guy is actually a troll. He posts nothing but ridiculous fanboy nonsense in an attempt to get responses like yours. Ignore the troll.
    StrangeDaysdws-2muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 131
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,484member
    What about the Mac Pro? Seems like an ideal time to announce it. 
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Would be nice, but haven’t they already said LATE 2018 or sometime in 2019?
  • Reply 17 of 131
    I would think next WWDC (2019)...it would be quite the surprise if Apple can design a totally brand new Mac Pro from the ground up in a year. Usually its at least 2yrs for a new Mac to be designed & engineered and be ready for market. Apple isn't going to just design box and slap a bunch of off the shelf parts in it like some think. This isn't HP, its Apple. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 131
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    gutengel said:
    If true, this is a huge missed opportunity for Apple. 
    Gosh I hope they'll be okay. Poor amateurs. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 131
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,592member
    Going out on a limb, I think a new SE would be a mid year masterstroke.
    aylk
  • Reply 20 of 131
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    gutengel said:
    If true, this is a huge missed opportunity for Apple. I was planing to buy the new iPad Pro w pencil this month and then the new Apple Watch with Airpods on fall. But getting all new products announcements on fall will me think twice about which devices I will get. It feels less of a punch in your wallet when you get 3+ months between purchases, and I'm sure many people feel the same way... 
    I wish Apple had spring events more regularly instead of packing all their new hardware in one quarter.
    bshank