What's new in macOS 10.13.5: Messages in iCloud

Posted:
in macOS
A few days after the iOS 11.4 update, macOS 10.13.5 has finally been unleashed for the Mac. While primarily focused on bug fixes, there are at least a couple things of note here in Apple's latest update.

We installed the latest build and scoured through for any noticeable changes. As often is the case, Apple outlined the biggest change right in the release notes.

Messages in iCloud, which arrives to iPhone's and iPads with iOS 11.4 is now available with this update. It can be quickly enabled by going to the Messages app, Preferences > Accounts > then tick the box that reads Enable Messages in iCloud.

Otherwise, no major changes were found, other than a very slight frame rate increase in games with using an eGPU.

macOS 10.13.5

macOS 10.13.5 was in public testing just over 8 weeks and saw 5 beta releases. Earlier this week, Apple also debuted the first beta of 10.13.6.

The release of macOS 10.13.5 follows the releases earlier this week of iOS 11.4, tvOS 11.4, watchOS 4.3.1, and HomePod firmware 11.4. It also precedes WWDC, where Apple is expected to release the first beta of macOS 10.14, as well as betas of their other software platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Why do you need messages in iCloud?
    ivanh
  • Reply 2 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    You got this up quick!

I just set it up myself. You enable Messages in iCloud in iCloud settings on your phone but in the Messages app on the Mac which is inconsistent. There is a "Sync Now" button in Messages on the Mac too, but it wasn't needed when I initially set it up, a bunch of messages which were only in the cloud (having been uploaded from my phone yesterday) came down to the Mac automatically. So what is that button for going forward I wonder? Is there the potential for it to get out of sync in some scenarios? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dougd said:
    I think it syncs better across devices.
    mwhiteSolidamn_its_hotGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 34
    And what about Airplay 2?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    charles1charles1 Posts: 78member
    Is this ALL that's in this update? Yeah I saw one obscure bugfix, but this has to be the most minor 00.1 update ever.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    You may want to blur out the phone number that is shown in the Message app. Just letting you know.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    dougd said:
    Message syncing has been broken for the last 2 or 3 incremental updates. It used to work pretty well, but until now, you would only see the messages you sent on the device you sent them from. Received messages were received on all devices. If you are like me, you do just as much messaging from macOS that you do from iOS so it is an important feature. If you don't use macOS Messages.app, you won't appreciate this feature.
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 8 of 34
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    dougd said:
    So I don't have to delete the same message on every device which picks up my messages.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    And what about Airplay 2?
    No AirPlay 2.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    I don't see the Messages in the iCloud setting in Messages Preferences. Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2012). Updated to macOS 10.13.5.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    You may want to blur out the phone number that is shown in the Message app. Just letting you know.
    It's ok. It is just a random number from IFTTT that shoots me the weather. No real person or anything.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dougd said:
    Why did we need IMAP over POP3 email? We didn’t, but it sure is nice to have it synced between devices.
    dws-2StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 34
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    MacPro said:
    dougd said:
    I think it syncs better across devices.
    The only difference between Apple Cloud and iCloud for iMessages, is that you may need to pay for iCloud for iMessages now while in the good old days you don’t.  
  • Reply 14 of 34
    LaraCroft835LaraCroft835 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    macseeker said:
    I don't see the Messages in the iCloud setting in Messages Preferences. Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2012). Updated to macOS 10.13.5.
    On your Mac go to Messages app > preferences > Accounts tab > and enable messages in cloud.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    macseeker said:
    On your Mac go to Messages app > preferences > Accounts tab > and enable messages in cloud.
    I don't have that option on my Mac.
    macseeker
  • Reply 16 of 34
    auxio said:
    dougd said:
    So I don't have to delete the same message on every device which picks up my messages.
    That and it will sync messages on a device that was off/not connected when the message came in.  That’s what I found most frustrating, that I would be on my iPad and trying to continue a thread I had started on my phone but since the iPad had been off it missed a lot of the back and forth.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    For a while now (well before latest OS updates), with all of my Apple devices logging into iCloud (iMac, MBP, iPad, iPhone, Apple watch), Continuity always synchs up incoming messages as well as my replies. I tend to keep most messages, so many conversations go back over a year. If a device was turned off, the most recent messages that were sent/received already do appear shortly after boot-up/log on.

So I don't get where messages in iCloud improves upon this. And, as another poster mentioned, more space in iCloud storage would get used with messages in iCloud...

Perhaps one of the main benefits of messages in iCloud is when you delete a message or an entire conversation that it gets deleted everywhere? I tried deleting both a message and a conversation in one device, and they remained in the other devices. Synched deletions seems like a good idea, but as I said, I rarely delete messages. Also, I can see a possible back-up benefit, but with so many of my Apple devices carrying the same messages, they are already being backed up through redundancy.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    For a while now (well before latest OS updates), with all of my Apple devices logging into iCloud (iMac, MBP, iPad, iPhone, Apple watch), Continuity always synchs up incoming messages as well as my replies. I tend to keep most messages, so many conversations go back over a year. If a device was turned off, the most recent messages that were sent/received already do appear shortly after boot-up/log on.

So I don't get where messages in iCloud improves upon this. And, as another poster mentioned, more space in iCloud storage would get used with messages in iCloud...

Perhaps one of the main benefits of messages in iCloud is when you delete a message or an entire conversation that it gets deleted everywhere? I tried deleting both a message and a conversation in one device, and they remained in the other devices. Synched deletions seems like a good idea, but as I said, I rarely delete messages. Also, I can see a possible back-up benefit, but with so many of my Apple devices carrying the same messages, they are already being backed up through redundancy.
    Yes, it should be sent to all devices, but it didn't always work properly. This will hopefully resolve those issues. Note, it's an option that isn't even automatically enabled so I don't think the argument that it's to get to people to use more space in iCloud holds water (at least not yet).

I year ago I dealt with Apple engineers for about 4(?) months because my iPhone and Mac wouldn't sync up messages. Anything sent to my iCloud email would go to my Mac (and only my Mac), and anything sent to my iPhone would go to my iPhone (and only my iPhone). Months of weekly calls with an open ticket and them trying different things, which included me installing Profiles to upload all my data dumps they eventually they just had to give me a new iPhone to get them to sync up. Maybe this will resolve that issue (maybe it won't), but if it happened to me, I knew it should be synced between all devices, and I was willing to spend months helping Apple resolve it, I have to wonder how many users have this issue and don't realize it's a feature or aren't going to bother getting resolved (perhaps because they don't know how to get it resolved).

We also can't rule out Apple have other plans for Messages in iCloud. I really doubt it was done just so they can optionally nickel-and-dime users for an extra 99¢ per month for more storage. I'm seeing an additional 11 GiB of data use by Messages, but since the 5 GiB tier is unreasonably small I'm already on the 50 GiB plan, which is more than enough.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 19 of 34
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    macseeker said:
    Thanks, but I don’t see the iCloud feature in the Account section.
    vicp
  • Reply 20 of 34
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    It seems that fans are excited about storing Messages in iCloud.  What're the benefit of doing so?