Apple strips Facebook & Twitter integration from macOS Mojave

Posted:
in macOS
Continuing a policy that began with iOS 11, Apple has apparently stripped out integration of third-party accounts in macOS Mojave beyond email and calendar services.

macos-mojave-internetaccounts

Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, and Vimeo are no longer options in the first developer beta of Mojave, AppleInsider can verify. Saving login info made it simpler for users and apps to access and share to those services.

Support initially came to the Mac with 2012's OS X Mountain Lion, the first edition of OS X with Share Sheets. Once people were signed into a service, they could simply click a button to publish to it, instead of having to use the Web or sign into an app's specific integration.

The switch in Mojave means that sharing options will disappear in many parts of macOS, assuming Apple decides to make the change permanent.

The move is presumably a part of Apple's attempts to bolster the overall security of macOS. The company is tightening permissions, making it harder for advertisers to "fingerprint" users, and creating the concept of "notarized" apps for titles sold outside the Mac App Store.

Mojave will launch sometime this fall, likely alongside or just ahead of new Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Good, Facebook messed up big time so they don't get to play with Apple. It's about time Apple kicks these companies out.
    bshankAlex1Ncornchipmacseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Glad to hear that. I was never comfortable with Facebook embedded in my system. 
    Alex1Ncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I like the current level of integration with Twitter. Never used Facebook.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 4 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Twitter integration still thinks the limit is 140 characters, so I could care less.  Facebook is evil.  
    tallest skilgreg uvanlostkiwicornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    About time!!!

Maybe I'm too much of a psychopath to understand peoples need to lounge around in Facebook but the security implications should out weigh any user desires in this situation.
    tallest skilAlex1Nlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Why does nobody care about LinkedIn also removed? :)
    lostkiwicornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Likely a factor of the people on AI. LinkedIn is useful in some industries, but not all. A few years ago I opened an account to help me network while I was looking for a job. I was in IT at the time and found it utterly useless. Lots of Sales jobs and Management jobs, but nothing whatsoever that I was interested in.
    Alex1Nlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DAalseth said:
    Likely a factor of the people on AI. LinkedIn is useful in some industries, but not all. A few years ago I opened an account to help me network while I was looking for a job. I was in IT at the time and found it utterly useless. Lots of Sales jobs and Management jobs, but nothing whatsoever that I was interested in.
    I’ve also found it to be utterly useless. Better to get a job with a personal reference or get a headhunter working for you.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Microsoft bought them for way too much money, perfect reason to drop them. People don't understand the fine line between announcing yourself on the web for business reasons and announcing yourself on the web for people to attack and misuse your information. Same with Facebook, which proved it could care less about its customers. Linkedln contains way too much personal information in one place. Easy target for phishing and spamming.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Woo hoo! If people want to participate in those social media platforms they still can. However, there's no reason for Apple to encourage their own customers to embark on a journey down the slippery slopes of social media by putting shortcuts into Apple products. Even a whiff of complicity is unacceptable in light of the War on Privacy being waged by Facebook and the constantly spewing Volcano of Stupidity otherwise known as Twitter.  
    tallest skilAlex1Nlostkiwicornchipmacseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    greg uvangreg uvan Posts: 86member
    Hm. I don't use facebook, but I rather liked the Twitter and Vimeo integrations. 

It was kind of a sign that the Twitter integration remained limited to 140 characters. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 18
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    dewme said:
    Woo hoo! If people want to participate in those social media platforms they still can. However, there's no reason for Apple to encourage their own customers to embark on a journey down the slippery slopes of social media by putting shortcuts into Apple products. Even a whiff of complicity is unacceptable in light of the War on Privacy being waged by Facebook and the constantly spewing Volcano of Stupidity otherwise known as Twitter.  
    Yes, this is basically undoing a hasty mistake by including them in the first place.
    Soooo... many people fell for the whole 'Facebook login' or authentication or stuff like that, which I railed against from the start. I'm glad to finally see a rebellion. Now if we could just get the average news site or blog to re-think this.
    Alex1Nlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I can understand some may have issues with Facebook but the contact and calendar integration was nice to keep in touch with friends: at least, having the choice to or not to. Now what, just install a second calendar app which supports it and another app to handle the contacts. Microsoft's style I would like to say but hey, even them have more integration now (even though their People app is an aberration in terms of contact management efficiency and information density, that is for sure, but still).
  • Reply 14 of 18
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I can understand some may have issues with Facebook but the contact and calendar integration was nice to keep in touch with friends: at least, having the choice to or not to. Now what, just install a second calendar app which supports it and another app to handle the contacts. Microsoft's style I would like to say but hey, even them have more integration now (even though their People app is an aberration in terms of contact management efficiency and information density, that is for sure, but still).
    Hmm, intersting point. Though I wouldn't even consider using FB for calendar and contacts (I go out of my way to be sure they don't have access to that stuff!).... but that's just me. I have similar concerns about Google, for example, but tons of people use their stuff.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Finally. I've filed so many feedback complaints about these parasitical organisms infesting the Apple products I purchase. I use software to block anything entering or leaving my equipment which adds to the feeding cycle of bloated leeches. This means I prefer to rely on my wits than opt in to using Google (un)Safe Browsing in Safari. I block Facebook, any and all Google services, Twitter, and many other unsocial media sites. Now, we have to keep the pressure on to get Apple to disassociate entirely from Google. That relationship is too disgusting and shows an Apple which is contemptible toward its customers. The thought of Apple hand in gland with Google is as nightmarish as Jews cosying up to the SS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    I never saw much value in this anyway, even though I do have most of the accounts mentioned - just never set them up in my Mac. I think the only one I really even use is Google (not mentioned), and that's for contact syncing only with my Android phone and Mac Contacts. Even if they tossed Google, I could live without.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Finally. I've filed so many feedback complaints about these parasitical organisms infesting the Apple products I purchase. I use software to block anything entering or leaving my equipment which adds to the feeding cycle of bloated leeches. This means I prefer to rely on my wits than opt in to using Google (un)Safe Browsing in Safari. I block Facebook, any and all Google services, Twitter, and many other unsocial media sites. Now, we have to keep the pressure on to get Apple to disassociate entirely from Google. That relationship is too disgusting and shows an Apple which is contemptible toward its customers. The thought of Apple hand in gland with Google is as nightmarish as Jews cosying up to the SS.
    If you don’t sign into either in Internet Accounts, they do absolutely nothing to you. You could’ve just ignored it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

You can manually subscribe to your events and birthdays calendars on the Events page, down in the lower right. Save them to your iCloud calendars and they’ll be on all your device calendars. 
    willcropointwatto_cobra