Owners of Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE now have more US carrier choices

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2020
People who own or plan to buy an LTE-equipped Apple Watch Series 3 now have the option of two of the bigger regional U.S. carriers, and aren't just stuck with the so-called big four anymore.

Apple Watch Series 3

C-Spire announced sales of the LTE Apple Wach Series 3 on Tuesday. The device is available not just online and at the carrier's retail stores, but even via phone orders. New customers can get three months of Apple Watch data free, after which the cost becomes $10 per month.

For a short time, the carrier is also selling the Series 3 for half off in conjunction with the purchase of an iPhone.

U.S. Cellular has been quietly added to Apple's official roster of Watch carriers. To date the carrier has been selling GPS-only Series 3 models, and the company still doesn't list any LTE models on its website.

C-Spire is based in Mississippi, and operates there as well as Memphis, parts of Alabama, and the Florida Panhandle. U.S. Cellular is headquartered in Chicago but has a presence in 23 states, with about 5.1 million customers.

Apple just recently previewed watchOS 5, and is expected to ship a "Series 4" this fall. The wearable could switch to solid-state buttons, and even support EKG monitoring. Evolutionary improvements may include a slightly larger display and better battery life.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Interesting type of promotion. Never occurred to me, this could be great differentiator in the future as gateway into iOS, especially to spur sale of soon to be older models. Win/Win for carriers too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    I want a similar plan to the iPads ones. Detached from your phone and able to buy month to month.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Yes, more options from carriers would be nice, might come with market maturation. Right now I use the cellular Watch, but have no extra plan for it. In US at least, you don't need a plan for emergency calls. So if I ever have an accident alone when bicycling or surfing etc. and not near my phone, hopefully my Watch will come through.
    fruitstandninjaGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Hopefully get this in the UK as well soon which would drive the Series 3 sales, personally know a lot of people who want one but their carrier doesn’t support it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Good!   Great!
    This doesn't benefit me.   But hopefully it will prompt other carriers (specifically Consumer Cellular) to add the Apple Watch w/ LTE....

Currently, it would simply cost me too much:   Simply switching to one of the "Big 4" would cost me around $30 a month -- plus the $10 for the watch!   While I would love to have one, that just makes no sense to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I wonder why carriers can’t simply sell one subscription covering both iPhone and Watch, counting the accumulative data use of both devices as one.

$10/m for a watch that uses minimal data when tethered most of the time does not warrant a subscription. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Folio said:
    Yes, more options from carriers would be nice, might come with market maturation. Right now I use the cellular Watch, but have no extra plan for it. In US at least, you don't need a plan for emergency calls. So if I ever have an accident alone when bicycling or surfing etc. and not near my phone, hopefully my Watch will come through.
    Thanks!  I didn't know that about the ability to make emergency calls without a cell plan...

That is actually the biggest reason for me to get one:  emergency calls!

I'm one of those old farts who live alone and often run or cycle out in the woods by myself.  If/when that "I've fallen and can't get up" moment comes, I want to be able to call for help.   For people like me its a practical replacement/improvement over the old, clunky, overly expensive LifeLine devices...
    watto_cobra