DC Universe will stream superhero TV shows, movies, comics to iOS, Apple TV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2018
DC Entertainment has revealed more details about DC Universe, its entry into the streaming video marketplace, providing access to TV shows, movies, and other content featuring DC superheroes, while also opening up the subscription service in beta.

The DC Universe service is billed as a "first-of-its-kind digital subscription" that caters for fans of the company's content. Rather than limiting the service to one type of media, such as video, the subscription aims to offer a curated selection of other items that DC believes fans will enjoy.

At its core, the subscription will provide access to classic TV series and films, along with original live-action and animated series. Starting in 2019 and developed with Warner Bros., the exclusive programming includes the live-action "Titans," a gritty reimagining of the animated "Teen Titans" franchise, as well as "Swamp Thing," "Doom Patrol," "Young Justice: Outsiders," and "Harley Quinn."

A selection of superhero films will also be available to stream for limited periods, with the lineup consisting of the four original Superman movies and animated movies from the Justice League, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman franchises. Classic TV shows on the service will include the first two seasons of "Batman: The Animated Series," and the original "Wonder Woman" series in HD for the first time.

The comics offered by the service will be accessible via its dedicated reader app, which will work on smartphones, tablets, and on set-top boxes. A curated selection of thousands of DC comics will be available to read, spanning a number of decades and some historically notable releases, such as Batman's introduction in Detective Comics #27 from 1939, and Superman's first appearance in a 1938 edition of Action Comics.

More modern collections, including Justice League and Swamp Thing comics published in 2011, will be available, with the selection offered to subscribers said to rotate on a regular basis.

Members of DC Universe will be encouraged to create and share their own personalized lists of favorite heroes and villains, and to participate in forums with other fans. An extensive DC encyclopedia, news updates, interviews, and other daily content are also offered.

Lastly, along with competitions for premium rewards, members also have access to a store with exclusive merchandise, including figures and collectors items from DC Collectibles, and other hard-to-find products.

DC Universe will be accessible via apps on iPhone and iPad, as well as the Apple TV at launch, along with other platforms. Initially launching only in the United States, pricing has yet to be confirmed, but DC is opening the service up in beta to those who register for access beforehand, starting this August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    Nice
  • Reply 2 of 12
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Awesome. DC animation is great, by far better than Marvel’s animated movies. I own most of them but could be interested in this service based on price. Already have Netflix & Hulu, not sure I’m I’m ready to add another streaming service for more than $5 a month 
  • Reply 3 of 12
    YASSTANOW (Yet another streaming service that almost no one wants)

Yawn. Superhero's are so 2016.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MikeJustMikeMikeJustMike Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Ugh..

Can we stop with the Magic Pajama crew now?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Everybody is trying to get in on the action. All those $10/month subscriptions add up very quickly and before you know it you’re paying as much or more for the cable/satellite costs you were so keen to get rid of. I recently dumped CBS All Access and Hulu so I could upgrade my Charter Spectrum for HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. So far I find it to be a good trade-off. 
    jbdragongilly017
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Why do these company's think people want to sign up and PAY for 20 different streaming services? Let along 10, or 5. Right now, I get most of my content from an Antenna. FREE!!!! Then I have Netflix for most of my stuff. I have Amazon, but I rarely watch any video content from them. I got it long ago for free second day air shipping. But these days it's not really making all that much sense to have. The price keeps going up and for what? I just signed up for Apple Music for the free 3 months after getting a HomePod, but I hardly hear any music these days as I'm busy most of the time. I'm going to end up canceling that. It's not worth $10 a month to me. Maybe $5. Throw some time limitations on for all I care.

I've gotten free Showtime or HBO in Cable bundles I never wanted, but was cheaper than Internet Only. This time recently, when I called, I got them to drop $15 for the Internet only cost. A little cheaper than the dumb bundle. I NEVER watched any HBO or Showtime when I had them. There's only so many hours in the day. Only so much time in a day I can sit around and watch TV. I have more crap to watch now than ever before. Why do I need to subscribe to more of this crap? Clearly I don't. I'm still behind on a number of Original Netflix series.

DC should just have their content on Netflix and Amazon, etc and then get paid when anyone watches any of that. I like some of the stuff DC will have, but no way in hell am I going to sign up. It's as dumb as CBS All Access. Why would I pay $8 a month for that? I get CBS for FREE with a antenna. A couple shows are All Access only, which is really quite dumb as the eye's on that service is a fraction of that on their broadcast channel. StarTrek is not worth $8 a month. You could wait for the season to end, pay the $8 for one month and binge watch it and than cancel the service before you're charged for a second month. Same goes if your a GoT person on HBO. Wait for the season to be over, sign up for one month, binge watch that and anything else you have time for and than cancel!!!

I think maybe this will be the new way to do things. It's silly to sign up for and pay everyone monthly. Instead, sign up for 1 month, and the other 11 months you're not paying them. Now you could have 12 different services, each one on a new month and paying 8-15 dollars a month instead of $100-120 or so a month. If you don't see something for 10 months after it aired, it's still NEW to you. You sure as hell don't need to watch right away. This is my thinking of things. If you're a sports person, now there's ESPN, MLB, and I guess the NFL is going to start their own streaming service also from what I've heard. Disney is something. How many others? It's just crazy these days and getting worse. To much of a good thing? They need to consolidate.
    entropys
  • Reply 7 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    lkrupp said:
    Everybody is trying to get in on the action. All those $10/month subscriptions add up very quickly and before you know it you’re paying as much or more for the cable/satellite costs you were so keen to get rid of. I recently dumped CBS All Access and Hulu so I could upgrade my Charter Spectrum for HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. So far I find it to be a good trade-off. 
    But thats the thing, everybody is different. For you those make sense, for another person a different combo makes sense. 

Few people are going to get every single offering just because they're available.
    gilly017
  • Reply 8 of 12
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Not available outside the US. So I guess we'll have to see who gets the rights to the exclusive content internationally.

For instance, Star Trek Discovery was only on CBS All Access in the states, but Netflix everywhere else (except Canada, I think). DC could send their stuff to Amazon Prime Video, or even local services. Or they might sit on them until they're ready for an international roll-out.

International copyright is annoying.

• Reply 9 of 12
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Sounds like a good move but I don’t really want or need yet another streaming service to pay a monthly fee too.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Dunno. 

Is there enough here to keep paying a monthly sub?

edited June 2018
  • Reply 11 of 12
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    This sounds great! I just hope it doesn’t take too long to reach international markets where I am.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    marc gmarc g Posts: 65member
    I’ve got to say I’m really happy about this not because of anything being exclusive, but because it will have thing I actually want to watch. I’ve got Netflix and Hulu and amazon video (because I’m a Prime member), and I get HBO Go, and CBS when things are on that I want to watch. Having all these plus high speed internet is still less expensive than a package with 300 sports channels I’ll never watch and even if it ended up being more, it would be worth it because I’d be watching what I want when I want.