AT&T's DirecTV Now follows Sling TV, YouTube TV in hiking monthly fees

Posted:
in General Discussion
As of August 1, prices for all of DirecTV Now's packages will increase by $5, making the cheapest buy-in for the live TV service $40 per month for 60-plus channels.

Accordingly, the company's "Just Right," "Go Big," and "Gotta Have It" bundles will cost $55, $65, and $75. These offer 80-, 100-, and 120-plus channels, respectively.

The new pricing is comparable to PlayStation Vue or YouTube TV, and follows hikes by the latter and Sling TV. It also comes shortly after the $85 billion Time Warner takeover by DirecTV Now's parent company, AT&T.

The carrier defended its move as a way to "continue delivering the best possible streaming experience for both new and existing customers" by "bringing the cost of this service in line with the market."

It did recently launch a cheaper alternative, WatchTV, available as part of "Unlimited &More" data plans or as a $15 standalone service. This offers just over 30 channels however, and no sports or local options. It also lacks any DVR functions.

Apple is preparing to get into the video game itself, developing an original slate of TV programming for launch in 2019. The company is even rumored to be considering a bundle of Apple Music, Apple News, and original video subscriptions, which might pose a challenge less to DirecTV Now than services like Netflix and/or Amazon Prime Video, depending partly on how much it costs.

Apple is reportedly spending some $1 billion on the video side of the equation, and has lined up exclusives with J.J. Abrams, Jennifer Aniston, M. Night Shyamalan, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon and other big Hollywood names.

Supported Apple platforms for DirecTV Now include the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. iPhones and iPads must be running iOS 10 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    I haven't gotten any notices of an increase to the package I jumped in on right after launch, $35 for the Go Big package. Maybe AT&T is sticking to the promise of keeping that price until I cancel. Time will tell.
    supadav03jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 15
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I also have not received any notices yet.I signed up last month with the $100 apple TV deal. I also get $15 off due to my at&t wireless plan and HBO is free so I'm saving a bunch of $$ over my old cable service.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    ...and here we go. Going to see regular cable prices for these streaming services soon.
    redgeminipajahbladelarz2112spinnyd
  • Reply 4 of 15
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    supadav03 said:
    ...and here we go. Going to see regular cable prices for these streaming services soon.
    Yeah. If AT&T decides to slide in an increase on my "locked-in" price of $35, I'll be dumping it. We usually don't even watch it all that much. Same for Amazon Prime. I rarely order much from Amazon, and we don't often watch anything on it. We'll probably end up back to just Netflix and Hulu in the near future. I'll see what Apple brings to the table. If we can get something decent for about $30, including our family plan Apple Music, I may jump on it. That would mean only about $15 for Apple's TV service.
    spinnyd
  • Reply 5 of 15
    andyringandyring Posts: 54member
    If I get a notice about this from DirecTV, I'll go back to them and say "Don't do that until you give my my locals, otherwise I'm dropping you."
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I find this comment "bringing the cost of this service in line with the market." laughable!!! So they jumped their price up for nothing other than to match everyone else!!!! You know what,... I give the finger to all of them. I get my live TV with an Antenna. What I can't watch, makes it kind of hard to miss. Between the Antenna and Netflix, I have more than enough TV to watch. In fact to much to watch. I have Amazon Prime, though I don't know for how much longer. I watch so little video from them. I don't even remember the last time I even looked.

It's really the same old thing. nothing has changed. Still Channel bundles of crap you never wanted to get the channels you do want. Still wanting to jack up prices far faster than inflation. Jumping up another $5 on a $35 service is a huge up in price. F them, it's what I expected would happen. It's the creep up to end up paying what you were paying when you cut TV service from the cable company. Instead you're going to end up paying the same price, but now to maybe someone else instead. You now have a choice of who you want to screw you over. No thanks,...
    edited July 2018 spinnyd
  • Reply 7 of 15
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Cancelled. The service has always been crap, then they trashed the UI to make it unusable, and now a price hike. So long. 
    spinnyd
  • Reply 8 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    So did anyone not see this coming? 

"bringing the cost of this service in line with the market." is just a euphemism for "we're bigger an have closer to a monopoly so we're going to keep jacking the prices up."
    ronn
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 614member
    Of course they could not escape the existing Cable TV model of forcing everyone to buy crap channels they do not want. Most of these channels are money losers supported by the few channels that do turn a profit. The end is near for Cable TV as we have it now. I thought this would be the nail, but in the end YouTube may be it.
    spinnyd
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I have used DirecTV for 18 years and I am sick of paying $125/month. I got a free Apple TV 4K and paid for three months of service, So I got the package that's less than half of what I pay now and get all the channels I need (100). So for me the DirecTV Now package cuts my price in half and I still have a Quality Picture that also makes use of a DVR service....So though I have just started the package it seems like it can replace my DirecTV plus their hardware....
  • Reply 11 of 15
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    supadav03 said:
    Exactly. I took advantage of the free Apple TV offer (twice, last one 4K version), but if they raise the price after my prepaid 3-months at $35/month I will cancel. There is a good chance I will cancel anyway and go with Sling Orange for $25. I use an HD antenna for local stations, and if the cost of these streaming options keeps rising, I'm fine with just using the antenna.

• Reply 12 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Complain to Ajit Pai, the bought-off head of the FCC now. This is his doing.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Well, I think Paid TV services may become more competitive this fall.

Spectrum will start using the Apple TV instead of cable box.  If they can identify customer's AppleTVs at home and allow 5 streams or so without worrying about homes sharing accounts, everyone would get that service.  I think other cable companies would lose customers if they did not follow suit. 

I have had DirecTV Now from its start at the $35 GoBig and the only thing I don't like is the 2 streams at a time limit.
    I cannot get Spectrum in my area but if Verizon FiOS or Optimum would offer a similar bundle, I may drop my DirecTV Now + FiOS setup for the new package.

• Reply 14 of 15
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    supadav03 said:
    Yeah. If AT&T decides to slide in an increase on my "locked-in" price of $35, I'll be dumping it. We usually don't even watch it all that much. Same for Amazon Prime. I rarely order much from Amazon, and we don't often watch anything on it. We'll probably end up back to just Netflix and Hulu in the near future. I'll see what Apple brings to the table. If we can get something decent for about $30, including our family plan Apple Music, I may jump on it. That would mean only about $15 for Apple's TV service.
    Others have said even the people on the $35 for the Go Big plan will be increased by $5. Apparently the increase is going to be for any & all subscribers. Saw someone on a different forum say this was confirmed for them by customer service rep. 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 15 of 15
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    chasm said:
    Complain to Ajit Pai, the bought-off head of the FCC now. This is his doing.
    Please elaborate...