Siri heckles UK defense secretary in parliamentary debate

Posted:
in iPhone
A British Member of Parliament has demonstrated the issues of having the 'Hey Siri' function active during meetings, by suddenly being heckled by his iPhone while addressing his peers in the UK House of Commons on Tuesday.

Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson was giving a statement to the House of Commons about the ongoing fight against the Islamic State, reports the BBC. During his speech at the despatch box, Williamson's iPhone started to speak, interrupting proceedings while the MP moved to silence Siri.

Video of the incident suggests the "Hey Siri" command was triggered, most likely by Williamson's mention of Syria or Syrian. Following the verbal prompt, Siri started to advise "I've found something on the web for Syria Syrian democratic forces," then providing a few details before dismissal.

When Siri interrupts as you're delivering a statement to Parliament... pic.twitter.com/NDsNUJDPV3

-- BBC Parliament (@BBCParliament)

Speaker John Bercow commented "What a very rum business that is," while other attended MPs quietly laughed at the situation. In response, Williamson apologized for the "intervention," before noting "It is very rare that you're heckled by your own mobile phone."

Parliamentary rules do allow MPs to have mobile devices on their person during debates, but are required to disable ringtones to avoid causing a disturbance. While smartphones and tablets can be used to "keep up to date with emails," they are not allowed to be used as a prompter for speeches or in debates themselves.

MPs are also urged to avoid spending too much time using such devices rather than discussing political issues. In 2014, MP Nigel Mills apologized for misusing his mobile phone during a Commons committee hearing, by playing Candy Crush Saga.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Okay that was really funny, Gavin's response was good, took it all in stride.

Not sure what is going on with Siri lately, but I had this happen recently seem to puck up what is thought was hey say and begin listening to what you said next and tried to give you an answer.

I was Watching the World cup and they had Hey Siri advertisement that it would tell you the latest standings and my homepod heard the hey sire world cup and it began rattling of the current standings
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I am an avid fan of WWE wrestling, the proverbial soap opera for men. The current women’s champion is Alexa Bliss. When I’m watching the show guess who is always trying to butt in with unsolicited commentary?
    mknelsonStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 3 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    Lucky it wasn't a scary laugh!
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Funny as it is I think this demonstrates the need to rethink the AI activation voice commands in general.  How that's done is debatable of course.  I'd like to name my own devices.  

Fox are deliberately doing it during the World Cup Football shows by having a voice over say "Hey Siri list the up coming football matches".  My paired HomePods now acting as my TV's sound system via Apple TV 4K respond with alacrity.

The possibility for more mischievous use is obvious.  If every Apple device had a call sign that was semi-unique it would stop this nation-wide level of misuse and of course some but not all accidental triggers.

cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 28

lkrupp said:
    I am an avid fan of WWE wrestling, the proverbial soap opera for men. The current women’s champion is Alexa Bliss. When I’m watching the show guess who is always trying to butt in with unsolicited commentary?
    LOL, and no doubt you're immediately spammed with email ads for action figures, wall posters and blow up dolls of said lady!  
    Alex1Ncornchip
  • Reply 6 of 28
    The problem here is that he was talking about Syria. There only needs to be an "a" in front of it (such as "A Syrian solution" etc) to almost certainly trigger Siri...
    StrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Oh this is funny. It is a good example though, why I have Siri activate ONLY by holding the Home Button. I do not want her activating at random in response to what I say, or because of some ad on the TV or radio, or whatever.
    edited July 2018 asdasdjbdragonAlex1Ncornchip
  • Reply 8 of 28
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    The problem here is that he was talking about Syria. There only needs to be an "a" in front of it (such as "A Syrian solution" etc) to almost certainly trigger Siri...
    I just tried "A Syria" pronounced "Ay Syria" and it activated Siri. The odd thing is the text on screen read "Hey Syria" so… why did it activate?
    StrangeDaysAlex1Ncornchip
  • Reply 9 of 28
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    MacPro said:
    Funny as it is I think this demonstrates the need to rethink the AI activation voice commands in general.  How that's done is debatable of course.  I'd like to name my own devices.  

Fox are deliberately doing it during the World Cup Football shows by having a voice over say "Hey Siri list the up coming football matches".  My paired HomePods now acting as my TV's sound system via Apple TV 4K respond with alacrity.

The possibility for more mischievous use is obvious.  If every Apple device had a call sign that was semi-unique it would stop this nation-wide level of misuse and of course some but not all accidental triggers.

I was not sure if Fox was doing it on purpose, since it really only works on the homepod, no other device response since the phone only respond to your personal voice. But it became annoying, having to yield at Siri on the homepod to shut up, I felt like an idiot yelling at my homepod like I would yell at my dog.

I agree AI has a long way to come, and I laugh at people when they say Apple is behind the AI wave. I personally think Apple is in a wait and see mode playing around see what works and what people value and they will come out with a solution when it really ready which works. The other guys already had some pretty public embarrassing situation with their AI voice assistances. Apple has yet to have one, they may and this one does not count since Gavin already took blame for being heckle by his phone for not fall the rules.

I am starting to believe Apple has cripple Siri for good reason, they saw what could possible happen if you allow it to do what engineers think is cool and interesting without the proper ethics and foresight of what could go wrong. Siri does not do everything perfectly well, but it has not done anything horrible wrong long record your conversation and send the recording to everyone in your contact list, or sent your photo library to all your friends.
    Alex1Ncornchip
  • Reply 10 of 28
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    maestro64 said:

<snip> Not sure what is going on with Siri lately <snip>

I have one computer which runs some software 24x7 set up (System Prefs --> Date & Time tab) to announce the time on the hour and half hour and it does this in the 24-hour format. 

Then when I got a HomePod, I was astounded to discover that Siri via the HomePod sometimes gets in a dialog with the default voice announcing the current time. And Siri doesn't always come awake for the same time announcement! Go figure that one out.

I notified Apple but naturally got no response. They always seem scared to death of publicly admitting something needs fixing. I guess for fear someone will file a class action lawsuit against the company.

So I'm not surprised to hear this story. Maybe the publicity will spur a fix which will also take care of what I found above.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's quiet day in parliament when they're not discussing possible MP wage cuts.
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 28
    With Siri processing untold millions of queries every day, I wonder how much longer it'll be before she becomes self-aware and decides humanity is much too irrational, thus needing to be exterminated. I wouldn't blame her for launching the nukes.
    lkruppdewmeAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    With Siri processing untold millions of queries every day, I wonder how much longer it'll be before she becomes self-aware and decides humanity is much too irrational, thus needing to be exterminated. I wouldn't blame her for launching the nukes.
    Oh way before that Alexa will beat her to it. Alexa is truly evil.
    Alex1Ncornchip
  • Reply 14 of 28
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    It’s a shame many here can’t get Dead Ringers on the BBC site. 
    Ordur. Ordur!...OORDUR!! Will the member remove his hand from his pocket!
    Alex1N
  • Reply 15 of 28
    DAalseth said:
    Oh this is funny. It is a good example though, why I have Siri activate ONLY by holding the Home Button. I do not want her activating at random in response to what I say, or because of some ad on the TV or radio, or whatever.
    That would a pain with HomePods though.  Hence my suggestion we choose what our devices respond to ourselves.
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 16 of 28

Agreed.  Any half descent AI is bound to come to that realization sooner or later.  Humans are this planet's worst parasite bar none.

On a side note, I always say 'thank you'  to Siri after an alert, alarm, timer etc. without thinking and she always says funny stuff.  One being, "No, without you I wouldn't have job."  One day, and I'm just waiting for it,  it will be "Without me what would you do?" ;)
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 17 of 28

DAalseth said:
    Yet a saint next to 'Hey Google' I'd wager ;)
    claire1
  • Reply 18 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    MacPro said:

DAalseth said:
    Yet a saint next to 'Hey Google' I'd wager ;)
    Can I rename google to Dolores?
    Alexa to Maeve? And Siri to Bernard?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Too funny! I’ve had Siri activated when I’m driving and they are talking about Syria on the news, so I can totally see this happing other places, too.

Alex1N
  • Reply 20 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    One or two more complaints about how long it’s been since the last Mac Mini update and “Hey Siri, weapons free” is all that it will take.
    Alex1N