Apple adds Leather Sleeve for new 13- & 15-inch MacBook Pros

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Not content with new MacBook Pros and an external GPU, Apple on Thursday also launched new Leather Sleeves, sized for 13- and 15-inch Pros.

Leather Sleeve

Both versions are meant to slip in a MacBook vertically, and come in Midnight Blue, Saddle Brown, or Black. Apple has produced leather MacBook sleeves before, but only for 12-inch MacBooks.

The 13-inch Pro Leather Sleeve costs $179, and should ship starting next week. The 15-inch Sleeve has been announced but isn't yet on Apple's website.

Leather Sleeve

The new MacBook Pro line supports configurations with six-core processors and up to 32 gigabytes of RAM. Apple also promises a quieter keyboard, and on some models a True Tone display that matches ambient light color.

Leather Sleeve

New 13-inch Pros start at $1,799 for a 2.3GHz quad-core i5 model with 8 gigabytes of RAM and 256 gigabytes of storage. 13-inch systems start at $2,399 for a 2.8-gigahertz quad-core i7 with 256 gigabytes of storage and a Radeon Pro 555X GPU.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Ohhh... I could make my laptop match my phone.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sarnosarno Posts: 6member
    When are you guys going to start proofing your copy before publishing? PLEASE quit trying to rush out the article before proofing. "New 13-inch Pros start at $1,799 for a 2.3GHz quad-core i5 model with 8 gigabytes of RAM and 256 gigabytes of storage. 13-inch systems start at $2,399 for a 2.8-gigahertz quad-core i7 with 256 gigabytes of storage and a Radeon Pro 555X GPU." Should say 15-inch systems start at $2,399..... There was another on your sub-headline on the other MBP article this morning, which thankfully has been updated. This happens ALL the time and reduces the credibility of this site.
    bdkennedy1002EddyMacSpamSandwichAvieshekcaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 12
    EddyMacEddyMac Posts: 11member
    Will these work on the 2017 models also?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    EddyMac said:
    You trying to find out if you can give Apple $179 for a leather sleeve? Great to rich, I guess.
    tallest skilAvieshektyler82
  • Reply 5 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ireland said:
    EddyMac said:
    You trying to find out if you can give Apple $179 for a leather sleeve? Great to rich, I guess.
    To be fair, real leather goods are quite costly (go compare prices in a Coach leather goods store) and Apple does a terrific job with the quality.
    sphericronn
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Not only is real leather expensive but it's heavy and unless they added padding, not much impact protection.  Would rather have a neoprene foam sleeve with a waterproof liner.
    Avieshek
  • Reply 7 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not only is real leather expensive but it's heavy and unless they added padding, not much impact protection.  Would rather have a neoprene foam sleeve with a waterproof liner.
    The cheap junk is readily available from other sources. Apple makes really nice leather items.
    sphericronncaladanianviclauyyc
  • Reply 8 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I haven't seen a neoprene case that has decent protection against anything more than light bumps and scraps, and nothing for even slight drops. They may be out there but I haven't seen any at the consumer level.

As for leather, there are a number of decent manufactures around— but Pad & Quill is the only one that comes to mind, and I don't know if they would do something as big as a MacBook.

Apple's leather products, though a little pricey, aren't at all decent. They're indecently exquisite. Except for the Hermès lineup, I haven't seen anything that matches Apple's detail.

Given that their Classic Buckle leather band for the Watches is $150, the case for the 13" MacBook is a bargain. You can get decent leather elsewhere for a lot less, and if that's good enough, fine. But it'll be nowhere near the quality that Apple sells.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Add leather sleeve but removing touch bar/strip would be nice.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I've purchased Apple brand cases before and they are completely useless at actually protecting the devices. I bought a $30 Incase neoprene case for my MBP and it does the job incredibly well. Dropped it from desk height and no damage at all to the laptop. Dropped my iPhone with apple leather case once and dings all along the bottom of it. Had a smart case for my iPad and also had dents on the back of the iPad because it didn't protect it worth crap while it was in my backpack. Never again to Apple cases. More form over function, and a case is one item that you actually need function over form.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ireland said:
    EddyMac said:
    To be fair, real leather goods are quite costly (go compare prices in a Coach leather goods store) and Apple does a terrific job with the quality.
    If you want good quality of leather the cost is high. Personally I prefer to pay a bit more for a product with some years of durability. You can check brands of leather sleeves like Woolnut, Carlfriedrik, Harber London, etc. For less than $179 you have a hight quality sleeve for your Macbook Pro. Best regards!