Sonnet's new Echo 11 Thunderbolt 3 dock promises plenty of ports and full power for MacBoo...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2018
Sonnet on Wednesday launched the Echo 11, a new Thunderbolt 3 dock geared primarily towards MacBook Pro owners.

Sonnet Echo 11

The device uses its main Thunderbolt 3 port to supply a 40-gigbit data connection and up to 87 watts of power to connected laptops. The dock is further requipped with five USB 3.0 ports, individual HDMI 2.0, 3.5mm audio, and Gigabit Ethernet connections, plus a UHSII-compatible SD card reader. A second Thunderbolt 3 port enables daisy-chaining or hooking up peripherals like monitors.

Two of the USB ports are forward-facing, though only one is powered to charge devices like iPhones and iPads. Charging will continue even if a MacBook is disconnected.

Sonnet Echo 11

Like similar docks, the Echo 11 can handle two 4K, 60Hz monitors, or a single 5K display. When using multiple monitors, one has to connect via HDMI while the other uses Thunderbolt.

Sonnet with Amazon is selling the Echo 11 for $299, with a single Thunderbolt 3 cable included.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Shipping a few dongles and expensive computers with a single connector, and in some cases a single data port, without offering a first-party hub is poor form on Apple’s part.
    edited August 2018 anantksundaramcurtis hannahjasenj1
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I find it sad that after several years of a commitment by Apple to USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 that there are no true USB-C hubs available. It's fine that there are options that give you USB-C to legacy ports but I would love to have a USB-C hub with 4 actual USB-C ports on it. 
    libertyforallcurtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    This dock suffers from an omission common on many such docks: no Micro SD card slot. I hate dealing with Micro SD-to-SD card adapters because they're easily misplaced. It's not like the cost would suffer much.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I find it sad that after several years of a commitment by Apple to USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 that there are no true USB-C hubs available.
    I heard a rumor regarding this. In order to make a hub, you need an interface controller chip, and no ICs that support USB-C even exist. Apparently Intel is working on one but it won’t be ready until next year at the earliest.

ref: http://atp.fm/episodes/284
    edited August 2018 irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I just don't understand why manufacturers of these docks don't include all standard ports in the front.  Sure, the legacy USB ports are great up front, but why omit the "standard" USBc ports?  Is it asking too much to include even ONE USBc port in the front of the unit, in addition to a legacy USB port?

I just don't get it.  
    libertyforallirelandpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Most of them are like that. You'll note most of the form factors are the same.

There is one "reference" motherboard of this form factor, and most of the companies use that, coupled with their own decisions on what ports to include and what chipsets for those ports they need.
    edited August 2018 libertyforallStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    ireland said:
    Shipping a few dongles and expensive computers with a single connector, and in some cases a single data port, without offering a first-party hub is poor form on Apple’s part.
    Nonsense, apple isn’t in the dock business. I’m a developer (Apple’s largest pro market per Craig) and don’t need most/any of these as my work is online. Additionally don’t need most dongles if you simply buy the correct cable you need, they’re plentiful and cheap on Amazon. Thunderbolt is a great connector protocol. 
    edited August 2018 chasmpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I find it sad that after several years of a commitment by Apple to USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 that there are no true USB-C hubs available. It's fine that there are options that give you USB-C to legacy ports but I would love to have a USB-C hub with 4 actual USB-C ports on it. 
    I couldn't find one like that for the reasons Mike mentioned, but here's one with two of each (USB-A 3.0 and USB-C), out of China: http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/BIG/180/B1123494180.jpg
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Wibble69Wibble69 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Why bother with an external 'hub' if it isn't an eGpu?

I mean seriously. If you are going to plug in a cable to 'expand' your ports why not also throw in additional graphics oomf?

I would love to see a decent eGpu that has multiple USB3.1 ports (gimme 4 at least!), and at least 2 mini display ports. Even if it is just a case. 

And lets not dwell on thunderbolt 2 support. I bought I mac Pro (2013) because of promised 'awesomeness'. In true apple tradition, awesomeness did not match reality...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Wibble69 said:
    Why bother with an external 'hub' if it isn't an eGpu?

I mean seriously. If you are going to plug in a cable to 'expand' your ports why not also throw in additional graphics oomf?

I would love to see a decent eGpu that has multiple USB3.1 ports (gimme 4 at least!), and at least 2 mini display ports. Even if it is just a case. 

And lets not dwell on thunderbolt 2 support. I bought I mac Pro (2013) because of promised 'awesomeness'. In true apple tradition, awesomeness did not match reality...
    The Mantiz MZ-02 case will sort of do this. It has four USB 3.0, and gigabit ethernet. You'd just have to pick your video card right.

But, 3.1? If you're looking for 10gbit speeds, you'd make an already tight bandwidth situation with an eGPU worse.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Support for dual monitors without hassle or dongles? (when dongles work with docks...which is a crap-shoot)

Ah... I see , still limited....WTF

" When using multiple monitors, one has to connect via HDMI while the other uses Thunderbolt."
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Support for dual monitors without hassle or dongles? (when dongles work with docks...which is a crap-shoot)

Ah... I see , still limited....WTF

" When using multiple monitors, one has to connect via HDMI while the other uses Thunderbolt."
    This is absolutely not a crapshoot. A USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort is a native cable, given that the protocol carries the signal in alternate mode. So, it is literally a non-adapted HDMI or DisplayPort cable.
    watto_cobra