New report backs claims 2018 iPhones will support Apple Pencil

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2018
This year's 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED iPhones will support the Apple Pencil, an accessory originally designed exclusively for iPads, a report claimed on Thursday.

Apple Pencil and iPad Pro

The rumor comes from "industry insiders" cited by Taiwan's Economic Daily News. This echoes a claim made by research firm TrendForce earlier this week, but that one did not specify which iPhone models might have Pencil support.

On top of the OLED iPhones, Apple is also expected to release a cheaper 6.1-inch LCD model this fall. Gating Pencil support could be one way of pushing people towards more expensive hardware.

Late Apple co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs famously said that "nobody wants a stylus" when he revealed the first iPhone in 2007, arguing that no one wanted to bother with taking one out and putting it away, or risk losing it. At the time, however, Jobs was reacting to the state of touch-based smartphones, many of which used stylii to get around precision and sensitivity problems.

The Apple Pencil is intended to expandtouch control options rather than serve as a main input scheme, making it easier to draw, edit images and text, or write notes.

That usage could make sense on large iPhones with edge-to-edge displays, but there would be a few obstacles. Any device would have to support the Pencil's low-latency technology, and Apple would presumably want to build a smaller version of the stylus, given that it would be awkward or even dangerous to keep the full-sized version in a pants pocket.

Even then, Apple might be compelled to design a new iPhone case with a Pencil holder, rather than force people to keep the accessory loose.

The move would put iPhones in more direct competition with Samsung's Galaxy Note 9, which not only comes with a stylus but has a special slot for storage and charging. The S Pen can even be used for tasks like triggering photos, controlling media playback, and running slideshows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    I am not interested with the Apple pencil on the iPhone but it is nice for those who want it.
    mike54SpamSandwichtoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Apple Pencil 2? (smaller design)
    ProMotion for iPhone?
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Can’t see this happening.  Would be a bad move.

• Reply 4 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Can’t see this happening.  Would be a bad move.

Why?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Apple Galaxy?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    naysayers: Moleskine sells boatloads of sketchbooks that are about the same size as iPhone +'s. It's not too small to draw on.

And folks draw on them with normal-size pens; Apple Pencil is fine as is.

Still praying for an iPad Mini w/ Pencil support. [edit] I wouldn't hold my breath on any of this.
    edited August 2018 tmayStrangeDaystoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Ingenious 
  • Reply 8 of 26
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    naysayers: Moleskine sells boatloads of sketchbooks that are about the same size as iPhone +'s. It's not too small to draw on.

And folks draw on them with normal-size pens; Apple Pencil is fine as is.

Still praying for an iPad Mini w/ Pencil support.
    I wouldn’t use one but to me it’s not the writing with the Apple pen but keeping up with it. An iPad isn’t too bad because I have a case that carries it. I don’t expect to put my iPad in my pocket; however, with my iPhone, I DO. The pencil would fit but surely be damaged sitting down. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    I hope Apple has better ideas than this. The Pencil is definitely overkill for the iPhone.You can already buy 3rd party styluses for iPhone & iPad
    netrox
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I hope Apple has better ideas than this. The Pencil is definitely overkill for the iPhone.You can already buy 3rd party styluses for iPhone & iPad
    Especially for the smaller screens, the precision and accuracy of Apple's own pencil is an entirely higher level of utility than the 3rd party solutions.

I really do hope they have an Apple Pencil 2.0 coming along with this. Could go with new iPads, too. There are many, many usability areas that could be improved in Apple Pencil, even if the primary functionality is great. Phone compatibility will force Apple to design with a greater focus on storing, carrying, charging, and even setting it down without losing it.
    StrangeDayscrosslad
  • Reply 11 of 26
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Apple Galaxy?
    iPhone Note?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I still don't see this happening.

That said, "IF" Apple does this the response from the other side is going to be epic. Claims of Apple copying while forgetting the Newton will just be the start of their outrage.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    The main purpose for such a stylus on an iPhone would be for quick note taking, so the Apple Pencil may be overkill, given its "artistic" focus. Apple could however release a more basic tool (cheaper) for more casual use.

At 6.5" that rumored iPhone X display size is getting very close to the iPad mini, so I can see the interest in adding support for a writing device. They should take a play out of Samsung's book and copy them for a change, and just call it the Apple Pen. Will they make a hole for storing it? Absolutely not. LOL It will be a separate purchase @ $69.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    I'm glad that you can't use a stylus with iPhone. Steve would have hated the idea.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So is it the current pencil or something smaller? Current size would look ridiculous being used with an iPhone. And where would you store it?
    canukstorm
  • Reply 16 of 26
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    nunzy said:
    I'm glad that you can't use a stylus with iPhone. Steve would have hated the idea.
    Steve specifically hated the idea. Watch the original iPhone announcement. His direct quote: "yuck!"

That said, I have no use for one, but don't object to it for others. But I don't actually want to pay for features I don't use, either. 
    nunzy
  • Reply 17 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I still don't see this happening.

That said, "IF" Apple does this the response from the other side is going to be epic. Claims of Apple copying while forgetting the Newton will just be the start of their outrage.
    So IF Apple adds Pencil support to the iPhone it’s because of the Newton? No. I wouldn’t say it’s because of the Note either. If anything it would be a new feature to increase the price of the phone and/or ARPU. But if there’s no place to store it I think it’s DOA. 
  • Reply 18 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Adding support for an optional drawing stylus isn't the same as making it mandatory. Just like it isn't bundled with the iPad but can be used on them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I don't think there's anything to lose by having larger iPhones support Apple Pen. If you don't like it, don't buy it... it's not like it'll be part of your iPhone purchase. But as others have already mentioned, this will help compete with Galaxy Note lines... so it definitely can't hurt. And if someone already has an Apple Pen for their iPad, then to be able to also use it on the iPhone seems like a no brainer.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    And the new version will be called the Apple Pencil Stub.
    watto_cobra