Nicki Minaj says Spotify retaliated against her for Apple Music show

Posted:
in General Discussion
The rapper says Spotify pulled back on promotion of her new album, "Queen," after she launched a new Beats 1 show on Apple Music.

Nicki Minaj's Queen on Apple Music

Popular artist Nicki Minaj last Thursday debuted a new show called "Queen Radio" on Apple Music's Beats 1 station, in conjunction with the release of her new album, "Queen," on August 10. Now, the artist is accusing Spotify of retaliating against her for the Apple deal by not promoting her music aggressively.

Minaj went on to blame Spotify, at least in part, for the album coming in second on the Billboard charts to Travis Scott's "Astroworld." The accusations from Minaj came in a series of tweets Sunday night.

Spotify put drake's face on every playlist but told me they'd have to teach me a lesson for playing my music 10 mins early on #QueenRadio. Even tho they've been giving away my music for free for years & I am one of the top Spotify artists of all time.

-- QUEEN (@NICKIMINAJ)

Spotify had to teach me a lesson but rewarded the man who has had an Apple radio show the longest; inadvertently helping the Apple platform the most. Oh I can't wait for #QueenRadio on Tuesday. They took away my promotion they had promised for the 1st cpl days b/c of this. #Queen

-- QUEEN (@NICKIMINAJ)

My music went up on Apple so I played it. I assumed it was on Spotify & Tidal at the same time. Spotify said that Apple tweeted fans advising #Queen was up & therefore they had to teach me a lesson. But PRAISE BE TO GOD!!!!!!

-- QUEEN (@NICKIMINAJ)

My label didn't want to defend me for fear of Spotify trying to teach Ariana a "lesson" too! https://t.co/1dAdbcbWVd

-- QUEEN (@NICKIMINAJ)

Do you know how many people subscribe to my Spotify page?????

-- QUEEN (@NICKIMINAJ)

Beats 1 recently hosted a promotion for the album, which got the hashtag #NickiDay trending worldwide on April 13.

Nicki Minaj's Queen Radio show returns Tuesday on Beats 1.

Not the first time

This is only the latest skirmish involving Apple Music, Spotify, and the way exclusives with major artists remain a weapon in their battle with each other. In June, Drake's new album "Scorpion" had almost 25 percent more streams on Apple Music than on Spotify.

Spotify has been accused of retaliating against artists with Apple Music exclusives before.

In August 2016, artists said they were told that Spotify would "bury" their music in its search rankings if they did Apple Music or Tidal exclusives, once the music arrived on Spotify. Spotify strongly denied the report at the time.

Spotify went on to start offering its own exclusives with artists the following year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Circling the drain. Next up, claim Apple is anti-competitive and ask the government for help.
    edited August 2018 racerhomie3claire1watto_cobratmayp-dogjony0
  • Reply 2 of 24
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    Does "The Queen" pay Spotify for promoting her album or does Spotify do it for free?  If the former, there should be contracts, and if the latter, why is she complaining? 
  • Reply 3 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Calling her product “music” is really being charitable. 
    razorpitwatto_cobrap-dogjbdragonCarnage
  • Reply 4 of 24
    The success of Apple Music absolutely terrifies Spotify. They’re as obsessed with Apple as Samsung is. 

If Spotify had to pay normal rates for free tier streams, they’d be out of business already. 
    edited August 2018 racerhomie3claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Spotify is Apple's enemy. They take profits away from Apple's nascent music streaming.

Apple should destroy Spotify once and for all. The world would be a better place without it.
    magman1979claire1
  • Reply 6 of 24
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    nunzy said:
    Spotify is Apple's enemy. They take profits away from Apple's nascent music streaming.

Apple should destroy Spotify once and for all. The world would be a better place without it.
    AM competition is intrinsically unfair becsuse of cross-subsidizing 
    nunzy
  • Reply 7 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Latko said:
    nunzy said:

Yeah, the world is unfair. When did you suddenly realize that? 
    watto_cobranunzy
  • Reply 8 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    IMO Minaj is just drumming up some press attention since what's she's claiming makes zero sense. Drake has his own Beats 1 station as she mentions, and Apple promotes Drake's music, but she claims Spotify would prefer promoting Drakes music too because she has a Beats 1 station and therefor Spotify's fault her album isn't in first place?? 

Maybe folks just like Drake's music more than hers. 

Her faux-tantrum worked tho. It's got attention for her album. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 24
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    nunzy said:

Monopolies of anything is never a good thing. Even if it’s Apple.
    nunzy
  • Reply 10 of 24
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Meh, she seems paranoid to me.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 24
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    1983 said:
    Meh, she seems paranoid to me.
    If someone at Spotify told her people that stuff then she's not paranoid, she's just unwilling to take it lying down and she has her own power base.

Seems like a dumb move on Spotify's part to do something that they must have known would end up on twitter.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    gatorguy said:
    IMO Minaj is just drumming up some press attention since what's she's claiming makes zero sense. Drake has his own Beats 1 station as she mentions, and Apple promotes Drake's music, but she claims Spotify would prefer promoting Drakes music too because she has a Beats 1 station and therefor Spotify's fault her album isn't in first place?? 

She played her own new music early ( before other streaming services )  on AM using her beats 1 channel. Drake has his own Beats radio station as well, but I don't think he used it to premiere his new album first on AM.  So Spotify delayed promoting her new album which she claims caused her album to be in 2nd place..  1983 said:
    Meh, she seems paranoid to me

Not the first time

This is only the latest skirmish involving Apple Music, Spotify, and the way exclusives with major artists remain a weapon in their battle with each other. In June, Drake's new album "Scorpion" had almost 25 percent more streams on Apple Music than on Spotify. 

Spotify has been accused of retaliating against artists with Apple Music exclusives before.

In August 2016, artists said they were told that Spotify would "bury" their music in its search rankings if they did Apple Music or Tidal exclusives, once the music arrived on Spotify. Spotify strongly denied the report at the time. 

Spotify went on to start offering its own exclusives with artists the following year. 

So you didn't read the article? 
    magman1979claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    OK, let's set aside for the moment everyone's apparent need to drag musical tastes or Nicki's vocal talents into this discussion, they are irrelevant. Although, to add my two cents, I think she actually has a great set of pipes on her, WHEN she actually uses them and doesn't rap!

The issue here is about Spotify bullying artists and labels into trying to get them to fall in-line and make new releases exclusive to their service upon initial launch in order to unfairly shut out other steaming services, such as Apple Music and Tidal. Nicki is not the first artist to make claims of these behaviours from Spotify, and she probably won't be the last.

Personally, had AM not come along, I'd have NEVER brought myself to subscribing to Spotify or Tidal, both (as far as I'm concerned) are vial companies who don't treat artists fairly, and, like Google, don't actually offer a product or service; its customers are the product and they monetize them every chance they get.

There have been several examples over the years of Spotify software breaching privacy of the consumer for their own monetization benefits:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-21/youve-been-warned-spotify-wants-spy-you-every-way-imaginable
    https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/jp48a7/spotify-is-spying-on-your-facebook-photos-contacts-and-gps-location

There are many more examples of this behaviour, just do a few quick DDG searches and you'll find them; yes I referred to DuckDuckGo :)

So as far as I'm concerned, I hope more artists / record labels rebel against Spotify, and go with the platform that won't play a game of strong arming artists into potentially detrimental actions against their careers.
    claire1watto_cobrap-dog
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Can she just go away already. Her music and message as an artistic is so narcissist and self indulgent. What good does she contribute to the world? 
    watto_cobrap-dog
  • Reply 15 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Can she just go away already. Her music and message as an artistic is so narcissist and self indulgent. What good does she contribute to the world? 
    I think her product is trash, but I will defend her right to offer it for sale to anyone willing to buy it. People have lousy taste in general, but that’s the nature of individual choice and commerce!
    edited August 2018 watto_cobrap-dog
  • Reply 16 of 24
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Latko said:
    nunzy said:

if the artist benefits from more royalties than it is OK IMHO.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Wow she was "Donkey of the day" today on the Breakfast Club radio show because they said she was complaining about being #2.

But after reading these details wow, makes Spotty look like scumbags. But are we surprised?

gatorguy said:

I think she mentioned their bias against her here:

"Spotify had to teach me a lesson but rewarded the man who has had an Apple radio show the longest; inadvertently helping the Apple platform the most. Oh I can't wait for #QueenRadio on Tuesday. They took away my promotion they had promised for the 1st cpl days b/c of this. #Queen

-- QUEEN (@NICKIMINAJ

This post is actually very interesting!!:

"Spotify put drake's face on every playlist but told me they'd have to teach me a lesson for playing my music 10 mins early on #QueenRadio. Even tho they've been giving away my music for free for years & I am one of the top Spotify artists of all time.
    -- QUEEN (@NICKIMINAJ

Hmmm....Maybe their profits are so thin they aren't paying top artists. Very interesting and brings more questions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Ah, another attentionwhore from the music industry. Why is she whining? Has she paid Spotify for promotion of her shіt? She needs to shut her mouth up
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Will be a shame once people wise up to the fact that she is a no-talent hack whose main act is taking off her clothes and pretending to rap. It'll be back to the Red Lobster for her.
    edited August 2018 p-dog
  • Reply 20 of 24
    It’s unfortunate that our community is commenting on Nicki’s music.

I would like to think we are all intellectuals that enjoy Apple’s products and attitudes.  I will talk tech all day, but I will not be negative or judgmental about someone.

I believe we’re better than this, or at least capable of better.
    spheric