How many macs are sold per quarter, per year?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How many macs are sold per quarter, per year?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by MajorMatt:

<strong>How many macs are sold per quarter, per year?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think its usually in a good quarter around 800,000 to a a million.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Q4 02 they sold 734,000 units.

318k iMacs

182k iBooks

176k PowerMacs (including XServe)

58k Powerbooks

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: MCQ ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Here's a good place for some data of recent years: <a href="http://www.pegasus3d.com/mac_sales.html"; target="_blank">http://www.pegasus3d.com/mac_sales.html</a>;
  • Reply 4 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    not nearly enough
  • Reply 5 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>not nearly enough</strong><hr></blockquote>

sad but true.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>not nearly enough</strong><hr></blockquote>

There sales are much lower than I would have thought.

Pitty
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I had this information for the last few years but I lost the file. I can tell you basically what they have sold but if you want to know exactly how many of each category, Powerbooks, PowerMacs,iBooks, etc. you can download this from Apple.

After Apple releases their results for a quarter, they put the release in their public relations library, which you can see at apple.com/pr. They release the results two weeks after the quarter ends. So if you wanted the results for 2001, you would look at the weeks of Jan 13, April 13th, July 13th, and Oct 13th of 2001. For each quarter you can download a PDF which tells you how many of each product segment were sold in different geographies, total revenues, etc. At the top of the web page their is a link that says "Data summary".

In 1997, Apple was doing terribly and selling about 650K total units per quarter. When the iMac cam out in mid 1998 that went up to between 850K to 950K and sometimes above 1000K with a best of 1.377 million units in Christmas of 1999 when the original iBooks came out I believe.

But then in mid 2000 sales started to drop. The crt iMac became outdated with it's small screen and the megahertz gap opened up. Sales have fallen to from 750K to 850K per quarter trending lower. When Apple only sells about 750K, they basically don't make a profit.

The loss of sales is basically due to the PowerMac. In 1999 they were selling from 350K-400K units per quarter. When the megahertz gap opened up that fell down to 250K. Then to 215K. Now it's down to 160K. So the 200K extra units that Apple was selling in 2000 were mostly PowerMacs.