Apple hires hospital chain exec for AC Wellness employee health clinics

Posted:
in General Discussion
Osman Akhtar, former COO of Fairview Health Services in Minnesota, will take a top job related to AC Wellness, healthcare clinics for Apple's employees.

AC Health

CNBC reported late Thursday that Apple has hired M. Osman Akhtar, previously chief operating officer of Minnesota-based Fairview Health Services, to a top role with its AC Wellness employee health clinics.

Citing "people familiar with the hire," CNBC said Akhtar would report to Dr. Sumbul Desai, who Apple hired away from Stanford last year. It is unclear if Akhtar will be involed in other health-related Apple projects.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune, citing a bondholder disclosure, had reported August 28 that Akhtar was "leaving to pursue a job outside of traditional health care that will nonetheless 'bring technology and health care together.'"

Akhtar, who holds a Masters in Health Administration from St. Louis University, also previously worked at Stanford. He was, according to his LinkedIn profile, a Senior Associate Chair and Director of Finance and Administration for Stanford University School of Medicine. He had been chief operating officer at Fairview Health Services in Minnesota since mid-2017, working before that at Sutter Health.

Apple revealed in February that it was launching the AC Wellness clinics, with one located in the Apple Park building.

"We believe that having trusting, accessible relationships with our patients, enabled by technology, promotes high-quality care and a unique patient experience," the AC Wellness website says.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The health features of the Apple Watch were just the beginning. I expect some really interesting new developments from these hires. This is the kind of thing that can only happen when government gets out of the way and competition helps shape markets.
    edited September 2018 claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    With everything Apple is doing in health, with the iPhone and the Apple Watch (and other products not yet announced!) I expect Apple to announce health insurance to the public in the next few years and that we will see AC Wellness locations across the country and eventually the world. Think about all the testing Apple does internally for their devices already and how well they are starting to understand how the body works. 

I think the Apple Watch Series 4 is just the start with what new hardware sensors we’re going to see with the Apple Watch. I also expect in the next three years we will see Apple Glasses, that will revolutionize vision as well. Who would have thought Apple would be able to do so much with a device connected to your wrist!

I for one would love to get AC Wellness Health Insurance!
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    JinTech said:
    With everything Apple is doing in health, with the iPhone and the Apple Watch (and other products not yet announced!) I expect Apple to announce health insurance to the public in the next few years and that we will see AC Wellness locations across the country and eventually the world. Think about all the testing Apple does internally for their devices already and how well they are starting to understand how the body works. 

I think the Apple Watch Series 4 is just the start with what new hardware sensors we’re going to see with the Apple Watch. I also expect in the next three years we will see Apple Glasses, that will revolutionize vision as well. Who would have thought Apple would be able to do so much with a device connected to your wrist!

Don't forget ResearchKit, the most successful patient studies system in history by miles.
    JinTechSpamSandwichwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    claire1 said:
    JinTech said:

Don't forget ResearchKit, the most successful patient studies system in history by miles.
    So true!
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 7
    claire1 said:
    JinTech said:

Good point!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I hope this AC Wellness will evolve to be regular clinics that accept outside patients so we could contact this clinic directly through FaceTime when our Apple Watch warns us about something. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    It’s easy to see them turning this into a service after more seasoning has occurred. 
    watto_cobra