Hands on with Apple's new lineup of iPhone XS and XS Max cases

Posted:
in iPhone
To go alongside the latest iPhones -- the XS and XS Max -- Apple has updated its lineup of first-party cases, which include leather, silicone and folio options. AppleInsider goes hands-on with the accessories to see what has changed and find out if they are compatible with the iPhone X.

All of Apple's cases are great quality while staying minimalist in nature. They are thin, with tactile buttons and made from premium materials. The leather cases all utilize anodized aluminum buttons on the sides, always a nice touch. Interiors are lined with microfiber on each case, protecting the iPhone from loose debris.

On the underside, the bottom of the phone is exposed, a design that has its pros and cons. We prefer this design as it allows easier access to ports and works seamlessly with many docks, but at the same time it opens more of the phone up to possible damage.

Last year, the folio was exclusively available for the iPhone X, but this year it comes in two different sizes for the XS and XS Max.

Colors for everyone

Externally, the biggest change to all of the cases is a smattering of new colors.

Silicone cases now come in Nectarine, Lavender Gray, Blue Horizon, Stone, Pink Sand, Midnight Blue, White, Black, and (PRODUCT)Red while the leather case will be available in Peony Pink, Cape Code Blue, Forest Green, Taupe, Midnight Blue, Saddle Brown, Black, and (PRODUCT)Red. The leather folio comes in Peony Pink, Cape Code Blue, Forest Green, Black, (PRODUCT)Red.

iPhone XS Cases

Changes between X and XS cases

Notable changes between last year's cases and the models offered in 2018 include slight tweaks to the camera bump cutout. The latest iPhone's have a slightly larger camera bump, which could cause compatibility issues when using the new cases with iPhone X. If you put any of Apple's iPhone XS cases on an iPhone X, you will notice a slight gap around the otherwise precision-designed case.

There are also changes to the arrangement of the Hall Effect sensors between generations. The auto wake/sleep functionality doesn't work when using the iPhone XS folio on the iPhone X, and vice versa.

Where to buy

Right now, the cases are available exclusively through Apple. Silicone cases cost $39 and the leather run $49. If you'd like the leather folio, it runs $99 and $129 for the iPhone XS and XS Max, respectively.

Apple's cases not doing it for you? Check out AppleInsider's roundup of excellent iPhone XS and XS Max cases that are available now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I bought my very first ever Apple silicone case just a month ago for my 6s Plus only because I needed a change and it was a discounted “open box” item at Best Buy and I gotta say, at first I liked it a lot. But after about a week, it didn’t feel the same. Now when I touch it, I feel like my hands are grimy and dirty. I feel like it holds onto dirt and dust and skin oils very easily. AND it pulls the entire pocket lining out of my pants every time I pull the phone out. It’s very annoying! 

So I will be going back to a new Speck case (my favorite) unless.....I upgrade my phone. Im not a big fan of the notch or the rear camera, BUT.....stay tuned... :wink: 
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I’m loving how many posts you guys have been doing, been following you for a while and seems you have so much content and great reviews. Bet nobody says it but we appreciate it! 
    radarthekatGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I was going to go nake with the Xs Max in Silver but there will be situations where I need a case so I purchase the leather Forest Green case at Apple store online $49 plus sales tax or around $53.  Coming tomorrow ahead of my new iPhone!
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Just wondering when it became normal to spend $40 on a piece of moulded plastic with silicone film or $50 for moulded leather. Don't get me started on the folio cases.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I ordered the XS leather folio in black from Best Buy. For some reason they’re selling it for $49 in that color instead of $99 for the other colors. I jumped at the opportunity...hoping it’s not a mistake. 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I ordered the XS leather folio in black from Best Buy. For some reason they’re selling it for $49 in that color instead of $99 for the other colors. I jumped at the opportunity...hoping it’s not a mistake. 
    Nice! You may have got lucky. I will definitely not be buying another silicone case. I don’t care for folios, never have. I could try the leather one but like SJ said about the iPad, I’d hate to buy a beautiful product and then cover it up with a case. That’s why I usually stick with the clear Speck cases. Someone on here mentioned concerns before about clear ones turning yellow. They have a new one called Presidio Stay Clear. It resists yellowing. 
    joerazepam
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I bought my very first ever Apple silicone case just a month ago for my 6s Plus only because I needed a change and it was a discounted “open box” item at Best Buy and I gotta say, at first I liked it a lot. But after about a week, it didn’t feel the same. Now when I touch it, I feel like my hands are grimy and dirty. I feel like it holds onto dirt and dust and skin oils very easily. AND it pulls the entire pocket lining out of my pants every time I pull the phone out. It’s very annoying! 

So I will be going back to a new Speck case (my favorite) unless.....I upgrade my phone. Im not a big fan of the notch or the rear camera, BUT.....stay tuned... :wink: 
    Conversely, I bought a white silicon Apple case for my germaphobic friend and her new iPhone 7 last year.  And, it still looks and feels great!   She discards stuff at the slightest evidence of dirt or grime -- but she still loves this case.

I am impressed with Apple and this case, I never expected it a white case to hold up so well.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    "If you like this video ... subscribe..."

I guess I won't be subscribing...
    I was interested in two things that it either never mentioned or glossed over:
    -- How well does the folio case work?   Does the cover get in the way when you use the phone?   How much can you carry in it?  Can it replace a wallet?   Do the cards & such stay in or fall out when you open the case?
    -- How well do the cases protect the phone from damage during a fall?   Particularly, how well does the leather case protect from damage from falls -- or does it just look and feel pretty?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I hate the feel of plastic. It feels like Samsung.
  • Reply 10 of 17

-- How well does the folio case work?   Does the cover get in the way when you use the phone?   How much can you carry in it?  Can it replace a wallet?   Do the cards & such stay in or fall out when you open the case?
    -- How well do the cases protect the phone from damage during a fall?   Particularly, how well does the leather case protect from damage from falls -- or does it just look and feel pretty?
    The folio case case works well. Beautifully designed. The cover does not get in the way, you just fold it back. I carry four cards and some bills in it. The cards do slide out a bit towards the center, and that’s annoying. But they do not fall out, though. 

My phone has not fallen yet, so I don’t know about protection. But it looks quite robust. 

And it looks truly stylish. The proof is: I bought one for my X, and have now ordered the same one for the Xs Max. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 17

Conversely, I bought a white silicon Apple case for my germaphobic friend and her new iPhone 7 last year.  And, it still looks and feels great!   She discards stuff at the slightest evidence of dirt or grime -- but she still loves this case.

I am impressed with Apple and this case, I never expected it a white case to hold up so well.
    That’s very odd LOL Yeah, I’m not liking it at all. It feels very dirty and the most annoying part is the pocket thing. Maybe she keeps it in a purse, that would eliminate that problem at least.

They do have a beautiful, soft microfiber lining on the inside, though. And the shape has been holding up extremely well, no deformation around the volume buttons as is the case with a lot of other cases out there. So they did a great job there. 
    Cottonball
  • Reply 12 of 17

The folio case case works well. Beautifully designed. The cover does not get in the way, you just fold it back. I carry four cards and some bills in it. The cards do slide out a bit towards the center, and that’s annoying. But they do not fall out, though. 

My phone has not fallen yet, so I don’t know about protection. But it looks quite robust. 

And it looks truly stylish. The proof is: I bought one for my X, and have now ordered the same one for the Xs Max. 
    Thanks!   That's helpful.   I would love to stop carrying a wallet.   While I have less need for credit cards with ApplePay, I still need medical cards, ID, etc., etc., ...   So, a workable folio could be ideal.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    When I go to the BB website, I do see the $49 price, but the item is listed as "Coming Soon".  Were you actually able to order it?

• Reply 14 of 17

That’s very odd LOL Yeah, I’m not liking it at all. It feels very dirty and the most annoying part is the pocket thing. Maybe she keeps it in a purse, that would eliminate that problem at least.

They do have a beautiful, soft microfiber lining on the inside, though. And the shape has been holding up extremely well, no deformation around the volume buttons as is the case with a lot of other cases out there. So they did a great job there. 
    I switched from leather to silicon a couple years ago because I found the leather case to be too slippery and I nearly dropped my iPhone a couple times.  I've not had that problem with the silicon.  Oh, and I've never had the grimy/dirty experience.  And it's held up well (two years).

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 17
    When I go to the BB website, I do see the $49 price, but the item is listed as "Coming Soon".  Were you actually able to order it?

Yes, was able to order. It says “Preparing” as the current status. I noticed the product page said “Sold Out” & now is back to “Coming Soon.” Interesting. 
    Cottonball
  • Reply 16 of 17

My apologies if this isn’t worded well. I wrote a long post and needed to verify the account so it kicked it out. I signed up to comment on this. The Apple Folio case is very well made, high quality leather and a great fit. But I used it one day before I dumped it. The camera can not be used easily with the case on it. It covers the camera when folded back. So you have to try to use it when the case open. For me, this was just awkward. If you had much cash or more than a few cards I could see potential for it to not want to wrap around flat for use while talking and such. (Something shared with others of this type.) If you want a wallet case that works well for a wallet and allows camera use consider a detachable wallet case. These are folio cases where the phone is in another sleeve case inside and can be removed quickly and placed back. Pad and Quill has one in the Bella Fino style I believe, I love their products and 25 year leather warranties are not common!. And I’ve ordered one from Burkley Cases to try. (Note the spelling, unlike the school.) Hope this helps.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 17
    RightNow said:

My apologies if this isn’t worded well. I wrote a long post and needed to verify the account so it kicked it out. I signed up to comment on this. The Apple Folio case is very well made, high quality leather and a great fit. But I used it one day before I dumped it. The camera can not be used easily with the case on it. It covers the camera when folded back. So you have to try to use it when the case open. For me, this was just awkward. If you had much cash or more than a few cards I could see potential for it to not want to wrap around flat for use while talking and such. (Something shared with others of this type.) If you want a wallet case that works well for a wallet and allows camera use consider a detachable wallet case. These are folio cases where the phone is in another sleeve case inside and can be removed quickly and placed back. Pad and Quill has one in the Bella Fino style I believe, I love their products and 25 year leather warranties are not common!. And I’ve ordered one from Burkley Cases to try. (Note the spelling, unlike the school.) Hope this helps.
    Yes!   Thank you!   That was helpful and informative.