Sentencing set for Australian teen accused of hacking Apple's servers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
The then-16-year-old, who plead guilty to taking about a terabyte of information from Apple's systems, will be sentenced September 27.

Australian Apple Store

According to Bloomberg News, the defendant faces two charges, one of which carries a maximum sentence of two years, while the other of one year.

Because he was a minor at the time of the alleged crime, the defendant, who is from Melbourne, has not been named.

As first reported in mid-August the hacker, described as an Apple fan who dreamed of one day working for the company, used an authorized key to download the files and placed them in a folder he titled "hacky hack hack."

The hacks reportedly took place over the course of more than two years, and entailed the defendant and an accomplice having "modified and copied a large volume of data that was sensitive both from a privacy and commercial point of view." Apple discovered the breach and informed the FBI, who in turn briefed Australian law enforcement authorities.

Apple said soon afterward that no customer data was compromised. "In this case, our teams discovered the unauthorized access, contained it, and reported the incident to law enforcement," the company said in a statement at the time.

The prosecutor said the hacker and his accomplice "did not remain commercially disinterested," although it was also noted that the accused hacker did not make any effort to publicize his crime. Indeed, the story stayed completely out of the media until news of the defendant's guilty plea in August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Apple should give him a job and call it a day, and take a percentage of his paycheck until crime restitution is paid off. they need some young hackers to make their security stronger
  • Reply 2 of 10
    While the hacking had begun out of curiosity and an interest in Apple, the defendant “did not remain commercially disinterested,” according to the prosecutor. No evidence has been put before the court that the teenager had any commercial gain from the attacks“.

Huh?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Lock him up!!
    christopher126
  • Reply 4 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    A few years in Juve followed by probation will teach him a lesson. But he's a talented kid. I do hope he eventually uses his interest and skill for legitimate purposes.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Lock him up!!
    Not quite sure...but I found this amusing! :)

• Reply 6 of 10
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    grifmx said:
    Apple should give him a job and call it a day, and take a percentage of his paycheck until crime restitution is paid off. they need some young hackers to make their security stronger
    I'm glad you trust this guy lol
  • Reply 7 of 10
    JinTech said:
    grifmx said:
    I hope you know story of Kevin Mitnick. If not then please do study. I worked in IT at the time already. Today I deal with Mitnick like "clever boys" that I report attempts to proper groups in the firm. We learned quite a bit from different attempts and it is worth to turn things like that in some solution. Punishment is a partial solution to much bigger problems.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Only 16.  I'm sure the judge will echo the riot act that he has probably already received from the parents. Maybe a court order for a guided tour of Her Majesty's Hotel so he knows the deal if he conducts himself like a total muppet going forward.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 9 of 10
    JinTech said:
    grifmx said:

I think the kid should pay for his crime, but I hope the experience doesn't break his spirit. He can have a great future as a white-hat hacker somewhere.

As for illegal stuff, you do know that the 2 Steves started off with the illegal black box to make phone calls, right? Neither of them went on to become criminals after that.

• Reply 10 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    kimberly said:
    Only 16.  I'm sure the judge will echo the riot act that he has probably already received from the parents. Maybe a court order for a guided tour of Her Majesty's Hotel so he knows the deal if he conducts himself like a total muppet going forward.
    With reservations, as I don't know all the details, but I agree with you. I hope common sense prevails.