Amazon reveals Echo Link Amp & Sub, updated Echo Dot, Echo Show & Echo Plus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
In a Thursday press event Amazon unveiled a slew of new Echo audio gear, most notably stepping into the high-quality space for the first time.

Amazon Link Amp

Leading this is the $299.99 Echo Link Amp, which delivers 60 watts per channel and includes a mix of analog and digital inputs and outputs, including optical, coaxial, and Ethernet connections. People who already have an AV receiver can get the $199.99 Echo Link, which bridges with a receiver and speakers.

Both accessories -- coming "soon" -- introduce Alexa voice control to existing audio systems, including support for multi-room listening. Owners will need a separate Echo speaker or the Alexa app, however, to actually issue commands.

Amazon Echo Sub

The $129.99 Echo Sub can be preordered today, and is designed to pair with a second-generation Echo or Echo Plus, and can in fact create a 2.1-channel audio setup when two speakers are connected.

The Echo Input is a $34.99 accessory that connects to an existing speaker via Bluetooth or 3.5mm, adding Alexa voice support without a built-in speaker like the Echo Dot.

Echo speakers in general will soon be able to form stereo pairs, and let users pick a preferred speaker or device group. Sometime this fall multi-room audio will come to third-party Alexa devices.

Amazon Echo Show (second-generation)

Amazon is also updating some of its existing hardware, most notably the Echo Show, which now has a 10-inch screen, a smarthome hub, and overhauled sound, including dual side-firing drivers, a passive bass radiator, and Dolby processing. Browsing options include Firefox and Amazon's Silk. Preorders start today for $229.99, with deliveries arriving next month.

The updated Echo Plus has stronger bass and clearer sound, equalizer fucntions, and its own temperature sensor. Most notably its smarthome functions will still work when the internet is down, something other Echo speakers aren't capable of. It can be preordered for $149.99 and like the Show will ship in October.

Amazon Echo Dot (third-generation)

The third-generation Echo Dot has a new microphone array, and a larger driver for louder sound with less distortion and better bass. Updated hardware will ship next month for $49.99.

Finally, the Echo Auto mounts to a car's dash and connects to Alexa through an iPhone or Android device, while pumping sound through a car's stereo. The device provides most of the voice commands of a regular Echo, but adds location-based routines (automations) as well as the ability to have Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze pop up on a phone when asking for directions. Preorders are available only by invitation for a 2018 ship date, but people paying now will get the product for $24.99 instead of its regular $49.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Some neat ideas. Wouldn't mind seeing Apple experiment a little more in this area.
    mike1SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    razorpit said:
    Some neat ideas. Wouldn't mind seeing Apple experiment a little more in this area.
    Amazon's mindset is definitely to throw a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks. They have the ability and scale to pull this off and move forward with what works.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    At least the design looks slightly better
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    razorpit said:
    The obstacle Apple faces is how to monetize any of it. It is nearly trivial for Amazon to do so: they run a warehouse. Each and every one of these things drives people to buy more stuff from them. And I'm as guilty as the next guy on this -  I reach for Amazon all the time, even when I see something on sale elsewhere, I weigh the horrible shopping experience of buying from them with the click click click it shows up on at the door free prime ship in 2 days. "Now on sale! Get $3 off this when you sign up for our newsletter, register an account giving us your phone number (required) and selecting a password of at least 6 alphanumeric characters, none repeating including capital letters, and number and special characters not including [{- or+) and we'll show you the price by email etc etc." Good lord, that sucks. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    razorpit said:
    Couldn't agree more. Moreover, if the amp/sub with additional speakers can be connected to a TV, I will have to seriously consider it (for a smaller TV I have in the study). Not being able to connect to a TV makes the HomePod utterly disappointing and useless for me. No reason that Apple couldn't have allowed for that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    The new Dot looks nice. Something to keep in mind about 2 months from now when Black Friday rolls around. Having a few Echoes around the house hasn’t impacted my Amazon purchasing frequency at all. I use them for room to room intercoms, listening to news, whether, reminders, etc., but never for music. The HomePod is one of my go to music devices. If I could afford HomePods in every room that has an Echo Dot I would do it. But until Apple does a HomePod Mini or something similar the Dots will stay. I would also like to see Apple do a HomePod Video with a screen to play video content, movies, and other audiovisual content. Since it looks like Apple will never do a full television product why not a smaller video “Pod” product to stream all the content Apple is producing and curating? They could have their own network with multiple channels feeding into a HomePod Video and Apple TV ecosystem. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Amazon delivers new sexy spyware at an unbelievably low price...don’t fall for it people.
    watto_cobra