iPhone XS Max in greater demand than past Plus versions, says small-scale survey

Posted:
in iPhone
A survey performed by long-time Apple analyst Gene Munster Stores Friday saw shorter customer queues at Apple retail stores, but higher demand for the highest-end model.

XS and XS Max

Gene Munster of Loup Ventures on Friday revealed that in a survey by the firm of 50 customers waiting in line for the new iPhones on release day, 70 percent reported buying an iPhone XS Max, compared to 54 percent who said they were buying the Plus model the last two years.

In addition, 71 percent of respondents said they were replacing phones from the 2017 generation. And Loup Ventures noted shorter lines than last year's iPhone X launch at the Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York.

"Customers are more interested in the Xs Max this year than they have been interested in Plus-sized phones in the past," Munster wrote. "Our confidence in our overall iPhone ASP of $791 for FY19 increased today, given 70% of customers we surveyed were buying the Xs Max. We were expecting 55%, which is consistent with a 54% average uptake of the Plus models from iPhone 6, 6s, 7, and 8. This $791 ASP estimate compares to Street consensus of $765, which is up from $757 before the Sept. 12 iPhone announcement event."

The survey, however, is far from scientific, for several reasons. Its sample of 50 customers is extremely small. Loup only visited five stores, four of which were in Minnesota with the fifth at Fifth Avenue in New York. Furthermore, the customers waiting in line on opening day are a tiny percentage of the overall customers who will purchase iPhones.

On Sept. 14, Munster reported that supply was not as constrained on preorder day for the iPhone XS and XS Max as it was for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    No surprise.

SuperCycle. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    This shows that price is not a concern.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Bebe said:
    It is for some. The problem is that they are very vocal and negative about it. It’s one thing to think something is priced to high and another thing to wish ruination on the company who built it. But that’s the nature of the Internet. Negativity is the primary response on the Internet. Something new comes down the pike... trash it out of spite.
    backstabwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I am guessing that many are holding out for the XR release. 
  • Reply 5 of 19
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    I choked when I saw that the XS Max 256GB price was nearly $300 more than I paid for the 7 Plus 256GB.   Nomally, I buy the biggest screen and largest size.   Not this year.  I’d need a heck of a trade-in deal.  I may buy 6-12 months behind instead of living on the bleeding edge.  I’m becoming too satisfied with my current phone.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    eriamjh said:
    I choked when I saw that the XS Max 256GB price was nearly $300 more than I paid for the 7 Plus 256GB.   Nomally, I buy the biggest screen and largest size.   Not this year.  I’d need a heck of a trade-in deal.  I may buy 6-12 months behind instead of living on the bleeding edge.  I’m becoming too satisfied with my current phone.  
    Easy solution. Just toss the XS Max 512 in your cart for a few minutes. Then when you downgrade to “only” 256 you can think about all the money you are saving.  Downright thrifty of you to forgo the bleeding edge!
    😜
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Unfortunately it’s Gene Munster. Anything he says should be taken with a pinch of salt, good news or bad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    I dropped by my local Apple store today to see if they have a 64GB Max in stock. All colors were sold out. I have 32GB left on my X, so 64GB is good enough for me.  I might just wait or get the 256GB. With the higher capacity, I might go back to my hobby, i.e. photography and videography. Decision, decision, lol. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Funny thing is, I remember the outcry when Apple went with the bigger flagship—the 6 I guess. On the rumor many (including myself) moaned about the unwieldy larger size on the rumor. 
    By the time it was released, however, I was willing to give it a shot—loved it ever since. I haven’t ever considered a plus, though. 

Now?  I’m about to go for an XS Max and I’m so excited. Thank god Apple doesn’t listen to me when planning their product lineup!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    A Youtuber survey says no one will be buying any new iPhone model in significant numbers. They're too expensive for the average consumer and don't offer enough features like the Galaxy Note 9 offers. Not one iPhone has a built-in stylus which is apparently high on the must-have list. Most hated by Youtubers is the iPhone XR(ipoff) which uses display technology from 2010. It doesn't even have a true HD display which even $200 Android smartphones have. Huge XR pixels staring right at your face. Apple's meaning of budget is about $200-$300 more expensive than Android's meaning of budget. The iPhone XR is already being called the worst iPhone Apple has ever made. According to web surveys, Apple is surely doomed for this coming holiday. Supposedly, even Amazon is building better products than Apple is. It's a crazy world. Most Youtubers claim Apple will surely lose its trillion-dollar status by the end of the year due to its poor iPhone lineup. They're all pulling for Samsung's soon-to-be-announced folding smartphone. /s
    unbeliever2
  • Reply 11 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    Bebe said:
    It is for some. The problem is that they are very vocal and negative about it. It’s one thing to think something is priced to high and another thing to wish ruination on the company who built it. But that’s the nature of the Internet. Negativity is the primary response on the Internet. Something new comes down the pike... trash it out of spite.
    Mostly something new from Apple. Watch and see the ooohs and ahhhhs Google pixel will be getting. 
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    eriamjh said:
    Average used sold price for the iP7 plus w/ 256GB is around $500
    tycho_macuserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    eriamjh said:
    Choke away. The vast majority of folk don’t pay upfront for a smartphone.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Rayz2016 said:
    eriamjh said:
    Choke away. The vast majority of folk don’t pay upfront for a smartphone.
    I always do, I just use AAPL dividends ;)
    RonnnieOtycho_macuserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I’m coming right now from a 64gb iPhone 6S to an iPhone XR...
    At the time, I really needed a 32gb iPhone- however the options went from 16gb to 64gb.
    So, I begrudgingly ponied up the extra $100 & paid $750 for my 6S.
    Fast forward 3 years & that same $750 (now worth less, because you know... inflation), gets me another 64gb phone- that happens to have the best battery life of any iPhone ever, the very latest & most powerful processor on the planet, 50% more RAM, a 6.1” screen vs. 4.7”, etc.
    All for the exact same price, & even a smidge less- if you factor in inflation.
    I’m doing whatever the opposite of gasping is, over this price!!!!!
    #pleasedaspunch
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Americans are size queens and I hate that mindset. Apple needs to create an iPhone the size of iPhone SE.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    netrox said:
    Americans are size queens and I hate that mindset. Apple needs to create an iPhone the size of iPhone SE.
    Just one more reason why Apple is doomed. Dropping the SE means losin all sales outside the US. There are not enough Ugly Americans to keep Apple afloat. Somebody should have told Tim nobody outside of the US uses big phones. It's always the Americans.
    unbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    macgui said:
    netrox said:
    Just one more reason why Apple is doomed. Dropping the SE means losin all sales outside the US. There are not enough Ugly Americans to keep Apple afloat. Somebody should have told Tim nobody outside of the US uses big phones. It's always the Americans.
    I don't know what non-Americans want. I am talking about my country. Geesh. 

• Reply 19 of 19
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Bebe said:
    I dropped by my local Apple store today to see if they have a 64GB Max in stock. All colors were sold out. I have 32GB left on my X, so 64GB is good enough for me.  I might just wait or get the 256GB. With the higher capacity, I might go back to my hobby, i.e. photography and videography. Decision, decision, lol. 
    After viewing the camera, the iPhone XS is cheap!
    watto_cobra