Storage increases in iPhone XS offers high profits to Apple with minimal production cost

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
The iPhone XS and XS Max stand to offer Apple considerable profits just from memory upgrade alone, with Bloomberg attacking the iPhone's relatively high price to increase its storage capacity compared to how much the components used actually cost.

The introduction of 512-gigabyte options in the Phone XS and iPhone XS Max, far above the 256 gigabytes offered in the largest-capacity iPhone X, arrives with relatively high charges for the upgrade. According to Bloomberg, the price difference translates to an extra $134 in profit per iPhone sold with 512 gigabytes of storage compared to the smallest 64-gigabyte option.

It is also claimed the $134 profit difference has increased from 2017's releases, where the revenue change between the smallest and highest-capacity iPhone X models was $107.

"Storage is one of their levers to create more revenue and is absolutely the most profitable iPhone feature," IHS Markit researcher Wayne Lam advised. There is no additional work for Apple to perform to increase the capacity, Lam reasons, because it is simply a chip swap, "whereas when you increase the screen size, you have to completely re-engineer the phone."

Lam suggests Apple pays approximately 25 cents per gigabyte, but charges consumers approximately 78 cents. The profit increase is largely due to the bigger memory capacity option, which to consumers represents a $350 jump in price between lowest and highest-capacity models, but to Apple is an alleged memory cost difference of between $23.69 and $132.48.

Aside from failing to offer consumers some level of per-gigabyte discount by opting for the higher capacity, price savings in Nand flash memory chips are apparently not being passed to consumers, despite the market price apparently down to half of the cost from 2017. It is suggested that Apple's contracts to "lock-in" the price of components from suppliers may in fact be working against the company in this case, as it may still be paying at older, higher rates for memory when it could be sourced for far cheaper.

It is also posited that owners of larger-capacity devices offer other revenue sources to Apple, due to the ability to put more music, videos, and apps onto their handsets. It is claimed an owner of a 512GB iPhone XS Max could spend at least $40 a month more to Apple for an iCloud subscription for backups, Apple Music, and buying one iTunes movie per month.

Reports that rely on BOM (bill of materials) estimates should generally be taken with caution, as they are purely estimates based on the market value of components used inside devices by analysts and think tanks, rather than an actual price list for parts, There are many reasons why the component prices can vary, including economies of scale, manufacturing challenges, scarcity of required materials, and even the contract between the supplier and Apple itself.

The BOMs also typically do not take into account other costs, including assembly and the initial research and development of the hardware by Apple itself.

Short of Apple itself confirming how much it costs to produce each iPhone -- a figure that will never be supplied by the company -- no-one outside the company will ultimately know the exact figure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Greed alive and well in Cupertino.
    rogifan_newkkqd1337
  • Reply 2 of 21
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Not to mention Apple's structuring of the storage options they offer. For my purposes 64GB isn't enough, while 128GB would would have been generous. However there is no 128GB option now, so I bumped up to a 256GB Xs instead. Cha-ching!

I wonder how many 512GB models they'll sell?
    edited September 2018 netmagekkqd1337igohmmm
  • Reply 3 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    For most 64GB is more than enough since IOS takes around 6GB and Apps 10GB.  But those considering iPhone XR should just buy 128GB for $800(only $50 extra) and with Carrier discount of $700 when you get 2 iPhones, Unless you take lots of videos, 512GB is over killed.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I understand that audio jack toook some much space and Apple had to remove and keep device with no cables, but having slot for additional storage memory like in Samsung or LG would not hurt, is valued by their customers and cost can be pushed to customer. "Welding" .5 TB on phone to have it day one is not necessarily good choice as we cannot predict if this will be cost efficient or person really needs that much for his/her/its tasks.
    igohmmm
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I understand that audio jack toook some much space and Apple had to remove and keep device with no cables, but having slot for additional storage memory like in Samsung or LG would not hurt, is valued by their customers and cost can be pushed to customer. "Welding" .5 TB on phone to have it day one is not necessarily good choice as we cannot predict if this will be cost efficient or person really needs that much for his/her/its tasks.
    Sure, but how would they make ridiculous amounts of profit off of memory if they did that?
    atomic101
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ireland said:
    I would not call it this way, but certainly lack of market feel. Android devices offer slot to extend storage giving some solid base RAM. But who cares about competitor if you have religion of Apple so widely spread... in some world pockets, right?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ireland said:
    Yes, Apple should be taken private and go non-prof immediately.
    kkqd1337watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I would like to see a similar comparison between Bloomberg’s incremental costs versus the price charged by that company for an annual subscription to its website, or to its news services. I’m pretty sure it would show that Micharel Bloomberg is more greedy than Apple.
    edited September 2018 racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I don't think they intend to sell the 512GB a lot.. It's just there to make the 256GB version more attractive.. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Nice article.  I like what Tesla has done on their car batteries.  The put extra battery capacity into the cars which allow them to offer extra drive range to consumers if they option up.  Software opens the battery capacity via an update OTA.  Why not Apple doing this for iPhones.  There isn't a weight penalty and the mfg costs are same/same.  They could sell 32Gb with the option of $100 to upgrade to 64Gb with a software OTA.  Or 128Gb could go to 256Gb.  In this way, with just two memory models, Apple can reduce offered handsets SKUs and increase options for folks downstream if they find they need more memory.  -RJ
    igohmmm
  • Reply 11 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    These BOM estimates by outsiders are cherry picking nonsense solely intended to paint the product maker in a negative light. The Price of a complex engineered product can never be tied directly to the Cost of materials needed to manufacture a single unit of the product. Everyone and everything involved in the development, manufacturing, distribution, and marketing of the product has a cost. Engineers have to get paid, component acquisition people have to get paid, programmers have to get paid, assemblers have to get paid, cargo pilots have to get paid, duties have to be paid, executives have to get paid, and of course the tax man has to get paid. Then there’s overhead costs, benefits costs, health care costs, and maybe some retirement savings matching and pension costs. If a company doesn’t pay for all of these costs and still make a healthy enough profit to invest in research and development and grow the company - it ceases to exist. Is that what Bloomberg believes Apple should do? Slim down its margins and go out of business and throw hundreds of thousands of workers on to the public dole? Yay?

As far as the memory tiers are concerned, we really don’t know why Apple chose not to offer a 128 GB option. It could be a hardware architecture constraint, supplier cost factor, or simply a marketing decision. I do know from personal experience that the availability and cost of memory components does not always follow an intuitive pattern where larger capability parts cost more. There are often other constraints such as wafer yield, demand from other buyers, production equipment provisioning, etc., that result in lower capacity parts costing more than higher capacity parts. Only Apple knows for sure. 

This could also be a marketing and product mix decision by Apple. Despite the fact that Bloomberg and many other “experts” have been providing free unsolicited advice to Apple nonstop and on just about every front, Apple does seem to be barely squeaking by and somehow managing to stay afloat while flouting the superior expertise of outsiders. Maybe they are just lucky, or maybe they actually know what they are doing. Imagine that.
    thtracerhomie3fastasleepigohmmmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Wow Bloomberg just figured out Apple’s huge profits come from storage pricing? Seriously? That’s been the case since forever and Apple rarely offers the sweet spot because they want to upsell you into more storage at a higher price.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    newtonrj said:
    Nice article.  I like what Tesla has done on their car batteries.  The put extra battery capacity into the cars which allow them to offer extra drive range to consumers if they option up.  Software opens the battery capacity via an update OTA.  Why not Apple doing this for iPhones.  There isn't a weight penalty and the mfg costs are same/same.  They could sell 32Gb with the option of $100 to upgrade to 64Gb with a software OTA.  Or 128Gb could go to 256Gb.  In this way, with just two memory models, Apple can reduce offered handsets SKUs and increase options for folks downstream if they find they need more memory.  -RJ
    More NAND costs more money. You think the BOM cost would be the same?

And could you image the backlash if people found out the 64GB actually had 128GB of storage but was artificially limited? Holy cow. You would definitely need to get the popcorn ready.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I heard Tim was going on about how iPhones only cost a 'dollar a day' so it's a bargain. So that must be true. 
  • Reply 15 of 21
    This logic seems flawed. If the 512GB was priced cheaper, wouldn't more people opt for that? Wasn't there an article just talking about NAND shortages? The pricing is based on demand and what the market will bear. 

It is also posited that owners of larger-capacity devices offer other revenue sources to Apple, due to the ability to put more music, videos, and apps onto their handsets. It is claimed an owner of a 512GB iPhone XS Max could spend at least $40 a month more to Apple for an iCloud subscription for backups, Apple Music, and buying one iTunes movie per month.

Wouldn't this be the opposite? Those with who subscribe to iCloud storage and Apple Music can more easily opt for the smaller capacity devices, since you don't need everything on device. Those with 512GB I would think wouldn't be streaming, and more likely own the music and videos they store on it. 

maciekskontakt said:

I would not call it this way, but certainly lack of market feel. 
    I'm pretty sure Apple has great market feel. Maybe you are the one out of touch with their market. 

Some people want expandable storage. A lot do not care, or prefer onboard storage.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    kkqd1337 said:
    I heard Tim was going on about how iPhones only cost a 'dollar a day' so it's a bargain. So that must be true. 
    That sounds about right in terms of cost of consumption. Divide the total cost of the device by the number of hours of usage over the service life of the device. For a 512 GB XS Max I think I came up with 27 cents per hour if you use the phone 3 hours per day every day for 5 years. Do the same calculation for your car that’s sitting in your garage or for whatever consumer product you paid a big chunk of change to own.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    Yes, Apple should be taken private and go non-prof immediately.
    Non-greedy doesn’t haven’t mean non-profit. Greed is what this is. No need to be sneaky about it.
    edited September 2018 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 18 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Wow Bloomberg just figured out Apple’s huge profits come from storage pricing? Seriously? That’s been the case since forever and Apple rarely offers the sweet spot because they want to upsell you into more storage at a higher price.

True, it’s a nothing burger of a AI article, but I’m not sure if the “failing to offer” customers a discount on cheaper NAND prices is color from Mr Owen (AI ariticle author) or was part of the financial analyst’s comments. The analyst’s comments had an interesting counter to the notion by saying that Apple hasn’t taken advantage of cheaper NAND pricing as they may have fixed NAND prices from long term multi year contracts with suppliers, and can’t take advantage of cheaper NAND prices just yet.

I wouldn’t say Apple’s profits come from storage tier pricing. Their profits come from making a great wholistic product first and foremost. The price tiers for different screen sizes, different storage sizes, and old vs new phones are just great ways to segment the product line to generate upsell and to offer clear choices for customers. This enables easier decisions for customers, cheaper costs for producing a product, etc. Ie, good business practice.

Also, the retail stores and service is big deal for mass market consumers, especially complicated tech products.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    ireland said:
    Lol . They are a business. Stop being an idiot. All businesses need to earn money. Don’t want part of it, don’t buy. But please stop your whining.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    ireland said:

"Greed, for lack of a better term, is good"!

You could say that capitalism is alive and well in Cupertino.

watto_cobra