MetroPCS rebrands to 'Metro by T-Mobile,' gains two new unlimited data plans

Posted:
in iPhone
On Monday prepaid carrier MetroPCS switched its name to "Metro by T-Mobile," reflecting its ownership and host network, while simultaneously announcing two new unlimited data plans.

Metro by T-Mobile

The first plan starts at $50 per month for one line, and comes with 5 gigabytes of LTE tethering data plus 100 gigabytes of Google One cloud storage. The second begins at $60, but in addition to Google One includes an Amazon Prime membership and 15 gigabytes of LTE tethering.

Metro plans

Both tiers are limited to streaming video at 480p resolution, and can face network throttling once users exceed 35 gigabytes of consumed data. The company also prioritizes native T-Mobile customers when networks become congested.

Metro will launch the plans in October.

The carrier may be hoping to ride the wave of new iPhone XS and XS Max owners, and potentially stronger sales of next month's iPhone XR. The XR will be much cheaper than the XS line, with a $749 entry price, while sacrificing relatively few features. Preorders begin on Oct. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Those are weird plans.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Only tethering data? You can’t use any data directly on the phone? And what is the maximum speed? Most MVNO plans are rate limited. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 3 of 14
    tokyojimu said:
    Only tethering data? You can’t use any data directly on the phone? And what is the maximum speed? Most MVNO plans are rate limited. 
    It says it right in the heading. “Unlimited data plans.”  It’s also shown in the graphic. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    tokyojimu said:
    LTE Data is unlimited with the new $50.00 & $60.00 plans...

• Reply 5 of 14
    I currently have 4 lines for my family for $100/month total incl. taxes/fees with unlimited LTE with MetroPCS - no tethering though. The coverage dead spots can be annoying at times, but overall it is a screaming deal. Not at all interested in Google One scanning and selling all my cloud file information to advertisers and don't need Prime on my phone. I'll stick with what I have, thank you.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Hello, Im a metroPCs customer for many years and I have 4 lines unlimited for $100, my question is with this new name MetroPCS is going to offer the service for the Apple Watch with phone line?...(I know we have to pay extra $10 every month), Thank you...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I have 2 lines for 82.00 and we are good with what we got. Why should we pay more for the stuff you are selling now when we have unlimited? That's pretty stupid on your guys part. You should have left things alone if you were to ask me.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Someone pleaser tell the telecoms, cable companies and others that we just want dumb pipe ISPs and do not want your free Hulu, or DTVN or whatever. Why don't you lower your price and drop the extra crap?

Same for mobile hotspots- how you use the data should be none of their business as you have already paid for it. The artificial limits are really tiring and are unnecessary. When AT&T stops you from installing SW on your phone from the mobile network because of size, I can just use the iPad Pro as a hotspot and turn mobile data off on the iPhone and download anything I want and the reverse is true as well. I pay enough that I should not have to do crap like this.

Finally, does the T-Mobile Exec realize how stupid he looks in that garb he wears? He looks like a middle aged creep that would be seen hanging out at a club for young adults or something.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    This is bs. I already pay metro $58 a month for shitty service and no signals . I also have had Amazon prime for two yrs. I just paid my monthly bill the other day. Guess next month I'll switch back to cricket cause metro and t mobile are full of shit
    Kingrambizzy
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Metro, like most corporations, media icons, politicians, etc...., really are bold with their blatant disrespectful practicing of getting over or preditorial demeaning of regular joe blows. They feed their greed by offering Affordable products and services that really when assessing aren't worth half of the price. Metro from their full priced flagship phones to their free bait n reel Market ployed once activated depreciating to $0 phones have at least a resolution of 720p HD. THEIR MAX STREAMING QUALITY WITHOUT CONSTANT BUFFERING IS 480P. WHICH SHOULDN'T BE EVEN POSSIBLE TO BE AN OPTIONAL VIDEO QUALITY IN THE YEAR 2000. LET ALONE 2018. HOW IN THE WORLD CAN THIS BE ETHICAL TO SELL PRODUCTS MORE THAN 2 MONTHS OF YOUR RENT. THESE PRODUCTS HAVE THESE HEAVY PRICE TAGS MOSTLY BECAUSE OF FEATURES THAT THEIR SERVICES DENIES THE USE OF IN IT'S MOST COMMONLY ANTICIPATED WAY. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Metro, like most corporations, media icons, politicians, etc...., really are bold with their blatant disrespectful practicing of getting over or preditorial demeaning of regular joe blows. They feed their greed by offering Affordable products and services that really when assessing aren't worth half of the price. Metro from their full priced flagship phones to their free bait n reel Market ployed once activated depreciating to $0 phones have at least a resolution of 720p HD. THEIR MAX STREAMING QUALITY WITHOUT CONSTANT BUFFERING IS 480P. WHICH SHOULDN'T BE EVEN POSSIBLE TO BE AN OPTIONAL VIDEO QUALITY IN THE YEAR 2000. LET ALONE 2018. HOW IN THE WORLD CAN THIS BE ETHICAL TO SELL PRODUCTS MORE THAN 2 MONTHS OF YOUR RENT. THESE PRODUCTS HAVE THESE HEAVY PRICE TAGS MOSTLY BECAUSE OF FEATURES THAT THEIR SERVICES DENIES THE USE OF IN IT'S MOST COMMONLY ANTICIPATED WAY. 
    So get a better carrier.
    airnerd
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Fastasleep says, "So get a better carrier." 

I don't know how i will ever...No! If I will ever be able to repay you for this priceless information. You are my hero. I think that I might try it. I'm really optimistic about your plan put an action, correcting Metro no no... T-Mobile as it has always been, will be a breeze. They don't stand a chance with a loyal customer like me saying goodbye. That'll show them, and watch how fast they start providing services that people with iPhone tens or note nines will hold their heads High. They probably couldn't even fathom having even a nightmare where they choose to deny being proud loyal customers of Metro buy T-Mobile.
  • Reply 13 of 14

I don't know how i will ever...No! If I will ever be able to repay you for this priceless information. You are my hero. I think that I might try it. I'm really optimistic about your plan put an action, correcting Metro no no... T-Mobile as it has always been, will be a breeze. They don't stand a chance with a loyal customer like me saying goodbye. That'll show them, and watch how fast they start providing services that people with iPhone tens or note nines will hold their heads High. They probably couldn't even fathom having even a nightmare where they choose to deny being proud loyal customers of Metro buy T-Mobile.
    Cool story. 

But like Fastasleep said, if you want better service/products then go get them.  Probably will cost you more, which is why you won't change.  Spirit Airlines CEO was right...People will complain but always come back as long as you can save them a buck.  
  • Reply 14 of 14

I dunno, I left AT&T for T-Mobile pretty fucking easily and now pay 2/3 of what I used to for much better service with a real unlimited plan including tethering, including the extra $5 or whatever to get unlimited *HD* video streaming (which was your gripe above) plus free Gogo inflight wifi and 2x speed free international roaming. Are you not just able to upgrade your plan so you don't have 480p video? ¯\(°_o)/¯