Boot Camp users may want to wait to install the latest Windows 10 update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2018
Users of Boot Camp may want to hold off on the October update for Windows 10, as users are reporting instances of file deletions and issues with Intel drivers, both of which are causing problems for some using Microsoft's operating system on their Mac.

The rollout of Windows 10 1809 commenced on Tuesday, but early upgraders are already complaining about issues in the latest update, with two issues surrounding user documents and drivers. Along with users on Reddit and Microsoft's support forums, MSPowerUser reports instances where documents, music, photographs, and other files saved to the user directory before the installation had been wiped afterward.

AppleInsider has witnessed the file deletion on a Boot Camp install on a 2016 MacBook Pro, on a 2017 iMac 5K, and on an install inside a Parallels virtual machine as well.

The file deletion may be related to folder association with OneDrive, Microsoft's cloud storage service. Users are suggesting that if the documents were saved in the user directory but not connected to OneDrive, the directory can be wiped.

A second problem is that some users have problems with specific Intel audio drivers, which according to a Windows support page could result in "excessive processor demand and reduced battery life," which will cause the installation of version 1809 to fail.

Affected users will see a window titled "What needs your attention" before commencing the update, advising one of the drivers is installed on the system. Microsoft advises to click Back in the notification to remain on the current version, and not to click the Confirm button, as the installation would then continue, and users may "experience compatibility issues."

Microsoft is also blocking devices from being offered the update until updated Intel device drivers are installed on the system's current operating system version. The company also advises against manually updating using the Update Now button or the Media Creation Tool until the drivers are available, unless checks are made beforehand to ensure the target computer will not be affected.

AppleInsider can confirm audio issues in Boot Camp with the Windows 10 update on a 2018 15-inch i9 MacBook Pro, a 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro, and a 5,1 Mac Pro. Reinstalling Apple's Boot Camp drivers solved the problem on the MacBook Pros, but not the Mac Pro.

The October Update to Windows 10 introduces a refined system search tool, a new Snip and Sketch tool, battery levels for Bluetooth devices, extended text size options, a built-in clipboard manager, the Your Phone app to manage an Android smartphone and send and read text messages, a dark theme for File Explorer, and other additions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Why would anyone pollute their Mac with Windows 10?
    rossb2watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    flydog said:
    Ever tried to game on a Mac? I’m not buying a second computer just to play the odd game. 

Fortnite is just flat-out rubbish on the Mac. On the same hardware using Windows it is orders of magnitude better. 

Thats one reason. 

They’re just different operating systems. The Mac hardware supports both, Apple supports the installation through BootCamp so I’m
    not sure what your contribution actually adds to this article. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    I have to pollute, because I need native browser testing, for my development.

So I have a Macbook 12 (2017) 512GB, triple boot mac-win-ubu setup.

Get's the job done I'll say, and I use it for Starbucks.

One thing tho, man is Ubuntu fast, basically macOS (browsing), without Adobe and Xcode.

But Windows, meh... I honestly keep the install for the Browsers, but also, to just go MAN, I can't believe... people work on these things, how the..?

Every time I goto dive into working while in Windows, it's update time.  I remember back when wanting to play games on it, I would alway want to upgrade first.  But now you kinda HAVE to?!?  Which is NUTS

Get all pumped up to play something then in the background it's downloading the weekly upgrades?

The only way I could use Windows (or 10) is to use 7 or have 10 on a Dedicated Machine, that's constantly checking and updating ... so that when I WANT to play, it's READY!

2¢ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    1803 had pretty bad issues too when installing with Boot Camp. It would blue screen several times during the early install phase but would eventually work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    flydog said:
    Well some of us found good reasons and frankly Microsoft copy every feature in macOS these days so very similar to use and both are damn good operating systems, it's horses for courses. I have an old Mac mini 2012 that I swapped out the HDD for an SSD and maxed out the RAM to 16 GB myself.  It has been acting as a MySql server running under Boot Camp with Windows 10 Pro for several years now.  It was upgraded to Windows 10 October release this week and continues to function flawlessly. The Mac mini sits alongside a Dell Server from the same era that has a 6 core Xeon and 32 GB RAM and also runs Windows 10 Pro (I removed the Windows Server OS and changed the BIOS) and MySql and to be honest the Mac mini holds its own.  Being a Mac user I run all my Windows machines that are servers headlessly using Microsoft Remote Desktop for macOS which allows all three of my Mac Pro's screens to be available to Windows OS on each machine and the magic mouse lets me swipe between servers individually on each screen so I can actually have up to three Windows servers monitored at the same time should I need and I can copy and paste between all machines and even to and from the Mac's Mojave desktop. It's pure magic to use. BTW I also have a Dell XPS with the 8th gen i7 6 core and 32GB RAM with the awesome Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 just for Steam games not available on Mac OS.  So, as I opened with, no need to be insulting about Windows these days, of course, macOS is superior in so many ways but Windows has its uses.  :)
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Is this only a problem for Boot Camp? What about Parallels and Fusion? (I've used both and I switch from one to the other every few years. I'm currently using Parallels.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Is this only a problem for Boot Camp? What about Parallels and Fusion? (I've used both and I switch from one to the other every few years. I'm currently using Parallels.)
    FTA: "AppleInsider has witnessed the file deletion on a Boot Camp install on a 2016 MacBook Pro, on a 2017 iMac 5K, and on an install inside a Parallels virtual machine as well."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks for the article. Haven't seen much on this. Purchased new Air and upgraded to the latest Win10. Had no problems upgrading, but lose all audio and video playback (including youtube/local files) after computer falls asleep. Already deleted windows.old before I found the issue...

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHEN A FIX IS AVAILABLE!

Thanks