iOS 12.0.1 update available, fixes Wi-fi connectivity on iPhone XS, Lightning charging iss...

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2018
Apple has issued a sub-point release for iOS 12.0.1, knocking out a few bugs involving charging, Wi-Fi connectivity, and sporadic Bluetooth connections.

The update fixes a pair of relatively high-profile issues that were introduced in iOS 12.

The first fix is to charging behavior. In rare occasions, an iPhone or iPad upgraded to iOS 12 didn't start charging when connected to a Lightning cable. The update also fixes a Wi-Fi connection issue, where the iPhone XS family of devices would re-connect to a mixed network on the slower 2.4 GHz band, even if a faster 5 GHz connection was available.

Other fixes include subtitling on video appearing properly, the restoration of the original ".?123" key on the iPad keyboard, and a Bluetooth availability issue.

Both the Wi-Fi and charging issue fixes are included in the iOS 12.1 beta.

After months of beta testing, iOS 12 arrived on Sept. 17. The new OS features better performance for older devices, Augmented Reality and ARKit 2, new life balance tools, and tweaks to Siri, Photos and Apple News. It runs on devices dating back to the iPhone 5s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    cosimocosimo Posts: 27member
    Still not available on the iPhone XS Max here in Catalonia
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    One more “-gate” down.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Update:  found it searching again.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Not available yet.  I have had Wi-Fi drops on the iPhone X after upgrading to iOS 12 so hopefully that will be fixed and not just isolated to the new iPhones.  The restoration of the ?123 key on the iPad is a huge fix!  Swapping it with the emoji key was a dumb move.  But the update does not show up on my iPhone X, iPad Pro (9.7) or older iPad Air 2.  Eventually it will show up, but not available just yet.  But it does show up in iTunes when I plug in and 'check for update'.  Now it is showing up as an OTA update.
    edited October 2018 emoeller
  • Reply 5 of 20
    BaronZokBaronZok Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    What’s the app above the apple news app in the keynote pic?
    zroger73macgui
  • Reply 6 of 20
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Only 14 days until the first point release of “the most beta tested iOS yet”.
    Better than last year’s 10 days I guess. And happy to have my iPad keyboard fixed. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    To all: we aren't like other venues and write that a release is "coming today." If we can't see the update as live ourselves, we don't take the post live. So, comments like "not available yet" aren't really that helpful, nor necessary. We are aware that it takes time to disseminate across Apple's CDN.
    jamielnewBelieverdewmeGeorgeBMacwatto_cobramicrobe
  • Reply 8 of 20
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Does anyone know if this update will fix CarPlay disconnecting from almost every CarPlay system? 
  • Reply 9 of 20
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    To all: we aren't like other venues and write that a release is "coming today." If we can't see the update as live ourselves, we don't take the post live. So, comments like "not available yet" aren't really that helpful, nor necessary. We are aware that it takes time to disseminate across Apple's CDN.
    FWIW, I actually prefer a "coming today" post, perhaps including a note that all users won't be able to see it immediately to assuage the people hitting "check for update" repeatedly. Having the news sooner is more helpful than knowing when AI can see the update, because as you point out, it still doesn't tell me when *I* will be able see it.
    bonobob
  • Reply 10 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    As a new XS owner I’m hoping this solves more problems than those listed.   

For one one I find this version of iOS to be dry glitchy.   I know that is I’ll defined but in many cases this is seen in the web browser.    

Another glitch that seems to be far more produceable, is E-Mail not connecting over WiFi if the cell network isn’t reachable.  At least not reliably.  The place I work is like a bunker in some ways with all cell phones loosing connectivity in certain parts of the building.  However I have WiFi  but no E-Mail (at least most of the time).  

So far this cell phone has been pretty impressive and a huge leap from iPhone 4.  There is just more oddness than I expected.  
  • Reply 11 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    wizard69 said:
    As a new XS owner I’m hoping this solves more problems than those listed.   

For one one I find this version of iOS to be dry glitchy.   I know that is I’ll defined but in many cases this is seen in the web browser.    

Another glitch that seems to be far more produceable, is E-Mail not connecting over WiFi if the cell network isn’t reachable.  At least not reliably.  The place I work is like a bunker in some ways with all cell phones loosing connectivity in certain parts of the building.  However I have WiFi  but no E-Mail (at least most of the time).  

So far this cell phone has been pretty impressive and a huge leap from iPhone 4.  There is just more oddness than I expected.  
    Just be happy you're not on iOS 11. in my 1 week of experience, iOS 12.0 is far less buggy than iOS 11.4
  • Reply 12 of 20
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    rob53 said:
    Does anyone know if this update will fix CarPlay disconnecting from almost every CarPlay system? 
    I haven't had any issues with CarPlay yet. In another forum I post in, people are complaining about the same thing. The odd thing is the users who are complaining about constant disconnects, they have the same year and make as I do. 
  • Reply 13 of 20
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    BaronZok said:
    What’s the app above the apple news app in the keynote pic?
    I don't know if it's an app available outside of Apple or devs. Craig Federighi used it when talking about improved performance of iOS 12 on old and new Apple hardware.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Not available yet.  I have had Wi-Fi drops on the iPhone X after upgrading to iOS 12 so hopefully that will be fixed and not just isolated to the new iPhones.  The restoration of the ?123 key on the iPad is a huge fix!  Swapping it with the emoji key was a dumb move.  But the update does not show up on my iPhone X, iPad Pro (9.7) or older iPad Air 2.  Eventually it will show up, but not available just yet.  But it does show up in iTunes when I plug in and 'check for update'.  Now it is showing up as an OTA update.
    This must not affect every iPad or all models.

I have an iPad 6th generation 32GB Wi-Fi + Cellular running 12.0 and my keyboard is "normal".
  • Reply 15 of 20
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    Thought i had a bad cable when i went to charge my phone. cable 1 didn’t work and neither did number 2. 
    Thanks for the post, i really thought i had a connector problem after the cables didn’t work. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    maltz said:
    FWIW, I actually prefer a "coming today" post, perhaps including a note that all users won't be able to see it immediately to assuage the people hitting "check for update" repeatedly. Having the news sooner is more helpful than knowing when AI can see the update, because as you point out, it still doesn't tell me when *I* will be able see it.
    I see where you're coming from, but the problem with the "coming today" posts based on the data sources that we all use for it, is that they're wrong about 30% of the time.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    There’s still a problem with the XS charging from a  Belkin dual iPhone & iWatch charging stand. Looks like this may be fixed by the next iOS release - post iOS 12.0.1 (currently in beta).
  • Reply 18 of 20
    There’s still a problem with the XS charging from a  Belkin dual iPhone & iWatch charging stand. Looks like this may be fixed by the next iOS release - post iOS 12.0.1 (currently in beta).
    If you're referring to the Powerhouse or Valet, Belkin says that they're not compatible with the iPhone XS family, or the iPhone XR.

• Reply 19 of 20
    I have the Belkin Valet and running 12.1 beta on my XS Max - the valet is working fine. Belkin may remove the disclosure once 12.1 is out to the public. 
  • Reply 20 of 20
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    rob53 said:
    I haven't had that experience with BMW. CarPlay is fine, including its wireless connection.