Mac sales decline in Q3 as customers await new models [u]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2018
Apple's share of the worldwide PC market slipped in the third calendar quarter of 2018 as other top manufacturers reaped the benefits of a slow return to growth, according to new estimates from market research firm Gartner.

According to preliminary estimates shared by Gartner, Apple shipped 4.9 million Mac units to capture 7.3 percent of the market during the three-month period ending in September. The performance was down 8.5 percent year over year, putting the Cupertino tech giant in fourth place among the world's top PC vendors.

Apple was one of two companies to exhibit negative growth during the third quarter, likely due to a dearth of new products. The company released new 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models in July, but has yet to refresh its popular iMac all-in-one and MacBook lineups for 2018.

Lenovo and HP retained their respective first- and second-place spots, with Lenovo shipping an estimated 15.9 million units during the period for a 23.6 percent share of the market. HP shipped 14.6 million units for a 21.8 percent marketshare. Both leading players saw marketshare increases over the quarter, with Lenovo gaining 10.7 percent over its performance last year, and HP increasing its take by 6.2 percent.

Dell came in third on shipments of 10.7 million units to capture 16 percent of the market, up 5.3 percent year-over-year.

Trailing Apple was Acer, which managed 4 million units for 6.1 percent of the market, down 5.7 percent from the same time in 2017.

Gartner's estimates suggest the wider PC market is in the process of stabilizing after a more than six-year contraction. For the third quarter, worldwide shipments reached 67.2 million units, up a scant 0.1 percent year-over-year.

"The PC market continued to be driven by steady corporate PC demand, which was driven by Windows 10 PC hardware upgrades. We expect the Windows 10 upgrade cycle to continue through 2020 at which point the upgrade demand will diminish," said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner. "Despite the third quarter typically showing strong consumer PC sales due to the back-to-school season, weakness in consumer PC demand continued, offsetting the strong sales in the business market."

The story was similar for the U.S. market, where Apple maintained its spot in fourth place despite a downturn in sales. The company shipped an estimated 2 million units in its domestic market, down 7.6 percent year-over-year. HP and Dell once again led the U.S., though the latter saw a 0.8 percent contraction during the quarter. Lenovo finished in third with 15.4 percent of the U.S. market, up 22.2 percent from the same time last year, while Microsoft rounded out the top-five with a 4.1 percent marketshare.

IDC also released estimates for the third quarter on Wednesday, showing nearly identical rankings -- but different shipment numbers -- for the world's five largest distributors. Apple, however, finished in fifth on IDC's charts with Mac shipments of 4.8 million units, down 11.6 percent year-over-year. According to the research firm, Apple was the only top-five vendor to exhibit negative growth during the quarter.

Updated with estimates from IDC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ... according to new estimates from market research firm Gartner....

Well la dee da. According to estimates the iPhone X was a flop. According to estimates the Apple Watch was a non-starter. According to estimates Apple is on the verge of failure. But whatever, this will be fodder for the “Were’s the new Mac Mini” crowd. In the comments to come we will be treated to pontification and bloviation about Apple’s loyal customers, the ones who kept the company afloat, being abandoned with Apple’s deemphasis of Macs and how it will be the end of the company. Get the popcorn out because here it comes.
    edited October 2018 macxpressclaire1wlymmagman1979jony0
  • Reply 2 of 68
    All I want is a Mac mini. And daisy-chain several together to create a Mac Pro. To upgrade, just buy another mini and attach. I can dream..
    kirkgraymike54
  • Reply 3 of 68
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Why does Apple wait for their special events? Intel finally gets it act together with decent chips and Apple lags a generation behind the Wintel world. They also really milk their chassis designs, while others manufactures are updating every few months. And I won’t even mention the blunder with the Mac mini - just slap new chips in the darn thing. 
    ravnorodomelijahgmainyehcasdasd
  • Reply 4 of 68
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Fatman said:
    Why does Apple wait for their special events? Intel finally gets it act together with decent chips and Apple lags a generation behind the Wintel world. They also really milk their chassis designs, while others manufactures are updating every few months. And I won’t even mention the blunder with the Mac mini - just slap new chips in the darn thing. 
    Apple doesn't always wait for "special events". It depends on what's being released. If its just something simple then they just release it. If it's something bigger then they hold an event. Regardless, nothing ships until it's ready and for the most part, nothing is said about a new product until it's ready to ship. 

Also...What "decent chips" are currently out? And just because there are chips available, that doesn't mean they're chips Apple can use, or wants to use. Apple isn't in a pissing match over what is better anyways with chips and Apple doesn't just use off the shelf parts in its computers either so its not always as simple as just throw a different Intel chip inside it and call it good. If you want that all the time then either build your own PC or go get a cheap PC. 
    edited October 2018 fastasleepStrangeDaysmagman1979Rayz2016
  • Reply 5 of 68

lkrupp said:

Well la dee da. According to estimates the iPhone X was a flop. According to estimates the Apple Watch was a non-starter. According to estimates Apple is on the verge of failure. But whatever, this will be fodder for the “Were’s the new Mac Mini” crowd. In the comments to come we will be treated to pontification and bloviation about Apple’s loyal customers, the ones who kept the company afloat, being abandoned with Apple’s deemphasis of Macs and how it will be the end of the company. Get the popcorn out because here it comes.
    Oh don't forget about these who supposedly will never buy a Mac again, or can't wait any longer so they're gonna go get a PC or create a hackintosh crowd. 
    claire1StrangeDaysmagman1979lkruppRayz2016spice-boy
  • Reply 6 of 68
    I’m amazed at how long Apple delays implementing new chips these days. That’s said, im terribly happy with my quad core 13 inch. I hope it will keep me happy well into the eventual switch to ARM based macs. 
    magman1979elijahg
  • Reply 7 of 68
    I’m amazed at how long Apple delays implementing new chips these days. That’s said, im terribly happy with my quad core 13 inch. I hope it will keep me happy well into the eventual switch to ARM based macs. 

Because not all chips will work with what they want to do? Just because there's a new chip out doesn't mean it will work with Apple's designs and future products. Apple designs products years in advance with the anticipation 3rd party vendors won't drop the ball (*cough Intel*). So its not like Apple can just use a newly released chip willy nilly when its designed its product for around one that got delayed, then delayed again, then delayed again, then probably delayed yet again. 

We also don't know that the Intel CPU is the major holdup on something. Perhaps it's something else as well. There's a lot that goes into releasing a new product. 
    edited October 2018 spice-boy
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Pardon my French but — What the fuck is Apple waiting for?
    elijahggrifmxjesusfreak
  • Reply 9 of 68
    ne1ne1 Posts: 69member
    That’s a great breakdown of market share, but I’d like to know Apple’s profit share of the PC market. I have not researched this, but based on their profit share of the smartphone market and their prices, I’m willing to bet it’s a much better ratio than any of the PC makers.
    aylk
  • Reply 10 of 68
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Fatman said:
    Not true, the “Windows world” is still shipping AMD & Celeron in the majority, it’s bigger than the pet vendors who align their product releases with Intel’s chip releases.  Jumping early didn’t work so well for Dell, the MBP got much higher performance i5s than they did so the old ‘Apple is behind’ is just old.

Their consumer products are another matter, they’d better refresh before the holidays or the Mac business in 2018 won’t look so good.

As for enclosures, that’s just the emperor’s new clothes mentality that dogs the PC world; they claim Apple fans are shallow and then pull lines like that? Newer isn’t better, better is better.

I just wish they’d pull away from Intel in the consumer space, so the Wintel crowd stops bleating.  The A12X (S12X?) should easily pass the i5-8550U & even the 2016 15” MBP in CPU/GPU performance in a fanless form-factor.  More than adequate for a MacBook/Air/Mini & 21.5” iMac.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 68
    My iMac Pro is far from feeling long in the tooth!  Expensive, but very nice.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    My iMac Pro is far from feeling long in the tooth!  Expensive, but very nice.
    Good one. My iMac 2011 is just starting to feel long in the tooth now...tho I suspect half of that is google.com’s search box javascript giving me beach balls. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 13 of 68
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Often Apple's MAC update get screwed by unpredictable Intel's processor schedule. We know about 10nm delay.
    Looking forward October product announcement for Macbook to see if it indeed replaces 13" Function Keys Macbook Pro with decent spec that Apple so far decided not to upgrade along with touchbar version.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 14 of 68
    Mac Pro 2013 dead end design... still there. Mac mini 2014 is awesome just update internals! but still waiting... it's unacceptable that a company with some of the most cash and value in the world is unable deliver new computers or a wireless charger.
    jesusfreak
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Apple needs to get back into serviceable systems! The current MacBook Pro's are just not serviceable! Can't replace the keyboard, battery or even the display without spending $500 on the parts alone!

The new systems are just not useable with noisy & failing keyboards & failing displays. Missing key elements real PRO's need like USB-A ports, SDXC & Ethernet. Then the real bugaboo! Missing MagSafe!

The new i9 system is DOA! As it just can't run beyond base clock because of lack of cooling. Thats independent of the firmware issue it had day one.

Pro's want a system that work effectively, not a bling system to impress. Apple went down the Bling path with Form. They need to get back to the design that serves the real PRO market Function.

Apple has the pieces to make this work! A variation of the older Unibody 15" & 17" models which are a bit larger than the ultra thin models Apple is selling now. Which offers the needed space for a better cooling system. Give it four USB-C ports and two USB-A ports. The back two (L&R) are dual function, being a MagSafe type of connector. as well A magnet plug is inserted so you have a flat connection for the breakaway MagSafe connector, yet it's a recessed USB-C port. Take the FaceID system in the Xs iPhone instead of the iSight camera and even offer a rear facing wide angle camera for group FaceTime meetings. Leverage the T2 secure enclave storage for the primary drive (128 or 256 GB) then offer two NVMe/PCIe x4 interfaces allowing 256, 515 GB, 1, 2 & 4 TB SSD drives in either discreet or RAID setup. Give it a narrow bezel 4K screen.

The older silent! Blister keyboard and use the smaller Touch Pad so the system has a bit more room for the battery.

Now Apple build it and I will buy it!
    edited October 2018 elijahgprismaticsjesusfreak
  • Reply 16 of 68
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:

Oh don't forget about these who supposedly will never buy a Mac again, or can't wait any longer so they're gonna go get a PC or create a hackintosh crowd. 
    I ahave to admit I am probably in that camp.
    My old iMac with the dodgy GPU has now been pulled apart five times to bake the GPU again. The last time I did it I must have done something wrong putting it back together and the CPU fan is going full speed. Too much trouble to open up again so waiting for a new iMac to come out. i have been in this situation for about eighteen months now. I would have replaced her but just can’t bring myself to do it And pay full price with the current design iMac with an outdated CPU. I can’t even begin to think how hard it would be to fix. It would be like the transition from my iMac G5 (designed to be easily diagnosed and fixable) to the first intel iMac ( an absolute dog of an internal design that made it hard to even replace the PRAM battery, just like the current design). 
    So this might really be it.  A transition to the dark side. I hope Apple releases a redesign that means it is a bit user upgradable and can fix little things like the PRAM battery. Otherwise I will have to think about a painful separation.  And divorce down the track. Once my computers switch, why not my phones?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 17 of 68
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:

I admit I am in that camp.
    My old iMac with the dodgy GPU has now been pulled apart five times to bake the GPU again. The last time I did it I must have done something wrong putting it back together and the CPU fan is going full speed. Too much trouble to open up again so waiting for a new iMac to come out. i have been in this situation for about eighteen months now. I would have replaced her but just can’t bring myself to do it with the current design iMac. I can’t even begin to think how hard it would be to fix. It would be like the transition from my iMac G5 (designed to be easily diagnosed and fixable) to the first intel iMac ( an absolute dog of an internal design that made it hard to even replace the PRAM battery, just like the current design). 
    So this might really be it.  A transition to the dark side. I hope Apple releases a redesign that means it is a bit user upgradable and can fix little things like the PRAM battery. Otherwise I will have to think about a painful separation.  And divorce down the track. Once my computers switch, why not my phones?
    Those days with Apple are done. With each and every new Mac the "tinkering" goes away. It's the way of the world now and not just with Apple. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 68
    I am waiting and waiting and waiting for Mac Mini. Come on, Apple. This is ridiculous.
    mike54jesusfreak
  • Reply 19 of 68
    BigDann said:
    Apple needs to get back into serviceable systems! The current MacBook Pro's are just not serviceable! Can't replace the keyboard, battery or even the display without spending $500 on the parts alone!

The new systems are just not useable with noisy & failing keyboards & failing displays. Missing key elements real PRO's need like USB-A ports, SDXC & Ethernet. Then the real bugaboo! Missing MagSafe!

The new i9 system is DOA! As it just can't run beyond base clock because of lack of cooling. Thats independent of the firmware issue it had day one.

Pro's want a system that work effectively, not a bling system to impress. Apple went down the Bling path with Form. They need to get back to the design that serves the real PRO market Function.

Apple has the pieces to make this work! A variation of the older Unibody 15" & 17" models which are a bit larger than the ultra thin models Apple is selling now. Which offers the needed space for a better cooling system. Give it four USB-C ports and two USB-A ports. The back two (L&R) are dual function, being a MagSafe type of connector. as well A magnet plug is inserted so you have a flat connection for the breakaway MagSafe connector, yet it's a recessed USB-C port. Take the FaceID system in the Xs iPhone instead of the iSight camera and even offer a rear facing wide angle camera for group FaceTime meetings. Leverage the T2 secure enclave storage for the primary drive (128 or 256 GB) then offer two NVMe/PCIe x4 interfaces allowing 256, 515 GB, 1, 2 & 4 TB SSD drives in either discreet or RAID setup. Give it a narrow bezel 4K screen.

The older silent! Blister keyboard and use the smaller Touch Pad so the system has a bit more room for the battery.

Now Apple build it and I will buy it!
    People like you make me long for a DOWNVOTE button on this site, maybe even a BLOCK button too!!
    StrangeDayscommentzilla
  • Reply 20 of 68
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    macxpress said:
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:

I admit I am in that camp.
    My old iMac with the dodgy GPU has now been pulled apart five times to bake the GPU again. The last time I did it I must have done something wrong putting it back together and the CPU fan is going full speed. Too much trouble to open up again so waiting for a new iMac to come out. i have been in this situation for about eighteen months now. I would have replaced her but just can’t bring myself to do it with the current design iMac. I can’t even begin to think how hard it would be to fix. It would be like the transition from my iMac G5 (designed to be easily diagnosed and fixable) to the first intel iMac ( an absolute dog of an internal design that made it hard to even replace the PRAM battery, just like the current design). 
    Those days with Apple are done. With each and every new Mac the "tinkering" goes away. It's the way of the world now and not just with Apple. 
    Regretfully you are probably right.
    mike54