Watch: iPhone XS Max's A12 Bionic smokes Samsung's Galaxy Note 9

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2018
Despite promising class-leading performance from the Galaxy Note 9 in August, Samsung's flagship phablet failed to beat out the then nine-month-old iPhone X with A11 Bionic processor. Let's see how the Note 9 fares against a current Apple handset: the iPhone XS Max.

iPhone XS vs Galaxy Note 9

The iPhone XS Max is Apple's latest and greatest smartphone, boasting an all-new in-house designed A12 Bionic processor built on a 7-nanometer process.

With six cores -- two high-performance cores and four efficiency cores -- the A12 runs at a clock speed of 2.49GHZ, slightly faster than 2.39GHz on the A11 Bionic. The A12 in the iPhone XS and XS Max also integrates a new four-core GPU, up from three cores on the iPhone X.

The Note 9 is packing the same Qualcomm 845 processor that powers the Galaxy S9. It's an eight-core CPU that consists of four performance cores and four efficiency cores running at up to 2.8Ghz. Both Note 9 models get the same Adreno 630 graphics chip as the S9 and S9+, which Qualcomm says is 30 percent faster, 30 percent more efficient and has 2.5 times the display throughput than the graphics chip in the Note 8.

Unlike Apple, which caps RAM allotments to 4GB on all iPhone XS models, Samsung offers the Note 9 in two memory configurations. For this test, we opted to evaluate a base model Note 9 with 128GB of storage and 6GB of RAM, but users can nab an extra 2GB of operating memory by shelling out $1,250 for the 512GB model.

Starting off with Geekbench 4, the iPhone XS Max completely destroys the Note 9, especially in single core performance, with a score of 4,803 points. That's almost double the Note 9's score of 2,451. In multi-core, the XS Max scored 11,448 points compared to 8,830 on the Samsung.

iPhone XS vs Galaxy Note 9 Geekbench 4

For the standard Geekbench graphics test, the Note 9 put in a decent showing of 13,980 points. The XS Max, however, scored a very impressive 22,527 points, an incredible improvement that outperforms the 15,301 points achieved by iPhone X.

iPhone XS vs Galaxy Note 9 Geekbench GPU

Apple also exhibited great improvements in the Antutu test. Samsung devices usually beat iPhone in this benchmark. For example, the Note 9 scored 279,773 compared to 200,937 on the iPhone X.

This time, the iPhone XS Max blew the roof off Antutu with a massive score of 364,287, much better than the Note 9's 284,402. If you look at the detailed results, the iPhone XS Max topped every category. Previous iPhones trailed in the benchmark's memory test, but with 4GB of RAM this year, Apple has caught up in this metric.

iPhone XS vs Galaxy Note 9 Antutu

Further, iPhone XS Max outperformed the Note 9 by a huge margin in Antutu's CPU test, putting in a score of 134,887 compared to the Galaxy's 87,894.

In Antutu's HTML 5 test, the Note 9 performed fairly well with a score of 37,466, but it still couldn't keep up with the iPhone XS Max's 46,311. For reference, iPhone X notched a score of 39,150 in this same test.

iPhone XS vs Galaxy Note 9 Antutu

We ran another browser benchmark, Octane 2.0, and the iPhone XS Max doubled the score of the Note 9. This proves that Apple's Safari browser is highly optimized for the A12 silicon, which allows it to perform much better than the Note 9's default browser. The XS Max scored 43,180 points to the Note 9's 20,165. Last year's iPhone X scored 36,714 in prior testing.

iPhone XS vs Galaxy Note 9 Octane

For our final challenge, we ran GFXBench OpenGL's 1080p Manhattan Offscreen test. The iPhone XS Max again tops the Note 9 with a score of 7,569 compared to 5,148. This is actually a pretty substantial improvement considering iPhone X put in a score of 5,551.

iPhone XS vs Galaxy Note 9 OpenGL

Overall, we're extremely impressed with the iPhone XS Max's performance. We expected an improvement, but not this much, especially the huge boost in graphics performance.

As expected, the aging Snapdragon 845 -- the same processor that came with the S9 and S9+ -- holds the Note 9 back. That exact processor also powers Google's just-announced Pixel 3 XL, which we will be testing in the coming weeks.

Deals on the iPhone XS Max and Galaxy Note 9

If you haven't already ordered Apple's iPhone XS Max, wireless carriers are incentivizing the purchase. Want to get your hands on a new device asap? eBay sellers are also shipping units now.

Carrier deals:

• AT&T Wireless: Buy one iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max, get a second $700 off when you add a line.
  • Verizon Wireless: Get up to $300 off with an eligible trade.
  • Sprint: Get the 64GB iPhone XS for $0 per month with eligible trade-in and Sprint Flex lease.
  • T-Mobile: Save up to $300 on the iPhone XS with an eligible iPhone trade.
Those interested in purchasing the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 can take advantage of no tax collected outside New York and New Jersey* when purchasing from B&H, plus get double the trade-in value, up to $600, when you upgrade thanks to a Samsung rebate.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Artificial benchmarks are one thing, how does it do in real world testing? Put them side-by-side and use them. Does there really feel like that much of a difference in performance?
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamrinosauravon b7
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Butthurt Tsumani in 5 … 4 … 3

ericthehalfbeedoozydozenchiaP-DogNCjbdragonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 65
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    There hasn't been a discernible difference in smartphone speed for years. That's why these silly benchmarks are the only data points left to report.
    tylersdad said:
    Artificial benchmarks are one thing, how does it do in real world testing? Put them side-by-side and use them. Does there really feel like that much of a difference in performance?
    muthuk_vanalingamdeminsdrinosaurrogifan_new
  • Reply 4 of 65
    It's only important if someone beats Apple. Then it's VERY important I guess. Samsung should have a new slogan...I'm thinking: "Making the phones no one wants but some people end up with."
    lkruppericthehalfbeeking editor the gratechiaP-DogNCberndogjbdragonwatto_cobraDon.Andersen
  • Reply 5 of 65
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tylersdad said:
    Yeah, right. Funny how benchmarks have suddenly become meaningless now that Apple’s A series processors have taken the lead. But then there will always be something the Apple trolls can find to boast about. It used to be processors, now it’s cameras. What’s next from you people?
    ericthehalfbeeapres587chiaStrangeDaysP-DogNCberndogdirecthackerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 65
    It's only important if someone beats Apple. Then it's VERY important I guess. Samsung should have a new slogan...I'm thinking: "Making the phones no one wants but some people end up with."
    People who have Galaxy phones are just as happy with their phones as you are with your iPhone or I am with my iPhone. Can we stop pretending as if Apple is the only company who makes good products or products people want?
    muthuk_vanalingamdeminsdrinosaur
  • Reply 7 of 65
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tylersdad said:
    People who have Galaxy phones are just as happy with their phones as you are with your iPhone or I am with my iPhone. Can we stop pretending as if Apple is the only company who makes good products or products people want?
    Why should we when the other side refuses to admit it? Try getting a Samsung sycophant to admit Apple products are good. Let us know what happens. The only thing you’ll ever get is a big fat “yeah but..."
    edited October 2018 P-DogNCjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Apple is the boss when it comes to mobile processors.

Apples chip team is their best kept secret IMO.
    P-DogNCjbdragonwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 9 of 65
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp said:
    tylersdad said:
    Why should we when the other side refuses to admit it? Try getting a Samsung sycophant to admit Apple products are good. Let us know what happens. The only thing you’ll ever get is a big fat “yeah but..."
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/12/apples-cheap-iphone-xr-just-ate-googles-lunch/
    https://www.androidcentral.com/iphone-x-review-second-opinion
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2016/11/15/a-month-with-the-iphone-7-plus-as-a-lifetime-android-user/#28a3438668d8
    https://www.androidcentral.com/five-important-things-ios-does-better-android
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/21/ive-never-used-iphone-part-one-switching-iphone-x-first-thoughts/
    (Note: that last link is part 1 of a 3-part article, and an excellent read IMO)

Android fan sites that I've come across really aren't afraid to talk about the iPhone or admit to it's advantages over Android. A lot of dedicated Android experts are also iPhone owners and users too. I'm not aware of any AI equivalent super-fan, sometimes over-the-top forum on the Android side. Not saying there might not be one. Somewhere.
    But AppleInsider's forum membership is, well...
    unique AFAICT.

Certainly this is a forum I personally appreciate for the interesting and quite lively discussions, tips, and techniques.
    edited October 2018 Hemanlive
  • Reply 10 of 65
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    I’m only interested in these scores as the processors get faster they may eventually catch intel and become the new Mac OS processor. 
    d_2cincymacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 65
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    I guess for those who are doing 3D modeling or cancer research or nuclear physics on their phone will be thrilled that the iPhone X Max is much faster than the Note 9.

For everyone else, both phones are realistically very fast and no one is going to complain about speed on either one.
    tylersdadscartartcincymac
  • Reply 12 of 65
    deminsd said:
    I guess for those who are doing 3D modeling or cancer research or nuclear physics on their phone will be thrilled that the iPhone X Max is much faster than the Note 9.

For everyone else, both phones are realistically very fast and no one is going to complain about speed on either one.
    Exactly. Very well said.
    cincymac
  • Reply 13 of 65
    lkrupp said:
    tylersdad said:
    I can't figure out why I should care about or even think about what "Samsung sycophants" will or won't admit. Makes no change in how much I like or dislike my phone.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 14 of 65
    deminsd said:

Just one of many people whining about Apple processors being faster and trying to claim it doesn't matter.

I don't do cancer research or nuclear physics on my iOS devices. But I do things like photo/video editing. And the iPhone will destroy any Android device on the planet doing those tasks or any others that require a fast processor.

With iOS I have a choice. With Android you don't.
    BluntchiaStrangeDaysP-DogNCd_2cincymacwatto_cobraDon.Andersen
  • Reply 15 of 65
    e500e500 Posts: 8member
    Why do keep switching the positions of the two phones in the video?
    doozydozenberndogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 65
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    deminsd said:

Just one of many people whining about Apple processors being faster and trying to claim it doesn't matter.

I don't do cancer research or nuclear physics on my iOS devices. But I do things like photo/video editing. And the iPhone will destroy any Android device on the planet doing those tasks or any others that require a fast processor.

With iOS I have a choice. With Android you don't.
    Eric, have you tried using Photoshop Express on both your iPhone and and either a Galaxy S8 or 9, or a Note 8 (9 is not released yet) which are considered some of the better Android OS phones? Was there really a serious difference in practice, enough to claim the iPhone "destroyed them"?  It's an honest question, no trolling intended. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 17 of 65
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    deminsd said:

When you edit high res video you will notice a big difference. Lots of people do this on their phones. Also, a 1,5 year old iPhone will be just as fast as a new Android. Sounds pretty important to me.
    edited October 2018 chiaStrangeDaysP-DogNCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 65
    HemanliveHemanlive Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    No surprise that it has become a Apple vs. Samsung debate. But the fact nowadays is that the flagship phones have become so good that one won't be disappointed be any of the flagship phones.

So going by the benchmark tests, Apple has fastest processor, huawei best camera and Google best AI.
    It just boils down to the ecosystems of apple and android finally followed by costs
  • Reply 19 of 65
    tylersdad said:
    People who have Galaxy phones are just as happy with their phones as you are with your iPhone
    If they were, then they wouldn't spend so much time hanging around here, would they?
    edited October 2018 StrangeDaysP-DogNCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 65

lkrupp said:
    tylersdad said:
    Yeah, right. Funny how benchmarks have suddenly become meaningless now that Apple’s A series processors have taken the lead. But then there will always be something the Apple trolls can find to boast about. It used to be processors, now it’s cameras. What’s next from you people?
    Explosive yield?
    StrangeDaysP-DogNCwatto_cobra