Flash Back to 1996: Wired interview with Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I came across Wired's magazines archive and found this interesting interview with Steve Jobs from 1996.

[quote]

Wired : The Macintosh computer set the tone for 10 years. Do you think the Web may be setting the tone today?

Jobs : The desktop computer industry is dead. Innovation has virtually ceased. Microsoft dominates with very little innovation. That's over. Apple lost. The desktop market has entered the dark ages, and it's going to be in the dark ages for the next 10 years, or certainly for the rest of this decade. <hr></blockquote>

Pretty interesting to read now. Jobs might not have gotten the whole Apple is dead thing right but his predictions on object oriented programing and the future of the internet are pretty much correct.

[quote]

Wired: What's the biggest surprise this technology will deliver?

The problem is I'm older now, I'm 40 years old, and this stuff doesn't change the world. It really doesn't.

Technology is not changing it much - if at all.

These technologies can make life easier, can let us touch people we might not otherwise. You may have a child with a birth defect and be able to get in touch with other parents and support groups, get medical information, the latest experimental drugs. These things can profoundly influence life. I'm not downplaying that. But it's a disservice to constantly put things in this radical new light - that it's going to change everything. Things don't have to change the world to be important.

The Web is going to be very important. Is it going to be a life-changing event for millions of people? No. I mean, maybe. But it's not an assured Yes at this point. And it'll probably creep up on people.

It's certainly not going to be like the first time somebody saw a television. It's certainly not going to be as profound as when someone in Nebraska first heard a radio broadcast. It's not going to be that profound.

<hr></blockquote>

Jobs on Objects:

[quote] Objects are the same way. Once you understand objects, it's clear that all software will eventually be written using objects. Again, you can argue about how many years it will take, and who the winners and losers will be during this transition, but you can't argue about the inevitability of this transition.

Objects are just going to be the way all software is going to be written in five years <hr></blockquote>

You can read the whole thing a <a href="http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.02/jobs.html"; target="_blank">http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.02/jobs.html</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Could there be any better proof that he wasn't in his element? This interview tells me Jobs NEEDS to be at Apple. The whole NeXT thing was an attempt to repeat history (i.e., the founding of Apple), and I'd imagine the failure of the NeXT hardware platform, and of the OS itself (until it was later resuscitated as our favorite OS today) were real blows to him. In this interview, WebObjects is all he has left to sell. And there's this tone of bitter practicality, none of the dreaming or idealism that he had when he was doing what he really WANTED to.

Wow. Scares me to think what would've happened if Steve never came back to Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Is it bad when you can remember reading that article first hand in the magazine?

I thought Jobs was right on then and now. The desktop computer is dead. Jobs tried some fashion trends to help people feel compelled to buy again. Other than that no one is really buying.

This is especially true in Appleland where people spend as much time speculating on the case as they do the internals.

I find these parts especially true, think about how the consoles are starting to kill even PC gaming development.

We live in an information economy, but I don't believe we live in an information society. People are thinking less than they used to. It's primarily because of television. People are reading less and they're certainly thinking less. So, I don't see most people using the Web to get more information. We're already in information overload. No matter how much information the Web can dish out, most people get far more information than they can assimilate anyway.

I always liked this one too...

Design is not limited to fancy new gadgets. Our family just bought a new washing machine and dryer. We didn't have a very good one so we spent a little time looking at them. It turns out that the Americans make washers and dryers all wrong. The Europeans make them much better - but they take twice as long to do clothes! It turns out that they wash them with about a quarter as much water and your clothes end up with a lot less detergent on them. Most important, they don't trash your clothes. They use a lot less soap, a lot less water, but they come out much cleaner, much softer, and they last a lot longer.

Takes longer, more expensive, easier... Mac.

and perhaps the greatest truth of all... sad but true...

When you're young, you look at television and think, There's a conspiracy. The networks have conspired to dumb us down. But when you get a little older, you realize that's not true. The networks are in business to give people exactly what they want. That's a far more depressing thought. Conspiracy is optimistic! You can shoot the bastards! We can have a revolution! But the networks are really in business to give people what they want. It's the truth.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 11
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    [quote]Originally posted by trumptman:

<strong>I thought Jobs was right on then and now. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Me to. I remember this interview, but it was really fun reading it again. It impressed me more now than seven years ago...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I still have that issue. I bought it on the news stand. Couldnt wait to get home and read it!

Remember the "Apple Is Doomed" Wired issue that came out a while after the Steve issue? It had the old school Apple 6 color logo on the cover, wearing a crown of thorns(!) and it said "Pray". It was VERY dramatic.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I remember that interview as well. Being relative new to the platform (around 1998) I really didn´t know who Jobs were before this interview.

But it also gave me the "Jobs filter". He say OO is the future? Surprise surprise: He is the leader of NeXT. Jobs can seem sencere and nailhitting so sometimes it take some time before you realize when he is sencere and when he is Apples best trained salesman.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
  • Reply 7 of 11
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>I still have that issue. I bought it on the news stand. Couldnt wait to get home and read it!

Remember the "Apple Is Doomed" Wired issue that came out a while after the Steve issue? It had the old school Apple 6 color logo on the cover, wearing a crown of thorns(!) and it said "Pray". It was VERY dramatic.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That issue I keep in a safe place...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Apple really responded to many of the points Wired made in the Pray issue. I just looked through Wired's site and found <a href="http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/5.06/"; target="_blank">that issue</a>, and i was more than surprised.

[quote]15. Dump (or outsource) the Newton, eMate, digital cameras, and scanners...

22. Create a new .. computer ... in bright rugged colors...

25. Portables, portables, portables...

37. Take advantage of NeXT's easy and powerful OpenStep...

98. Testimonials. Create commercials featuring real-life people in situations where buying a Mac (or switching to a Mac) saved the day...<hr></blockquote>

I guess this proves what I've always suspected: Wired owns Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The words on objects are way off. Considering that we're seeing a lot more embedded electronics these days (e.g. the iPod), and there seems to be a digital hub trend, I see software again becoming a low-level enterprise.

&lt;the dude&gt;Faaaarr Out&lt;/the dude&gt;

I hate objects.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    If I recall correctly, and it's been a while since I read the interview... but it was really about Jobs hyping WebObjects. It was about that time WebObjects was nearing or at version 3, and it was a really powerful applications development platform. It still is, just, the documentation sucks, among other things.

He spent a lot of time talking about WO, and I remember spending a lot of time researching WO after that, meetings at the Atlanta apple market center, etc.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    If I can say one thing about Jobs from this it is that he is brilliant. Steve's vocabulary is very good too, he is a smart man and can articulate his point amazingly well.

He was definately bitter because he wasnt really steering the ship of innovative technology. Steve needs Apple, Apple needs Steve...at least they did. I think Apple could get along without him now but it would still never be the same.