How to make the iOS 12 lock screen weather widget appear

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2020
A small but long-running demand from iPhone owners has been access to more information on the lock screen than time, date, and notifications. Apple teased the lock-screen weather report in early photos, but it can be hard to invoke if you don't know where to look -- AppleInsider shows you how to do it.

The lockscreen weather widget.
The lockscreen weather widget.

First, you'll want to ensure the Weather app has constant access to your location. Open Settings, select Privacy, then Location Services. Scroll down to Weather, and make sure "Always" is enabled.

image Privacy -> Location Services -> Weather" height="660" />
Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> Weather

With that done, you'll have to set up a Do Not Disturb schedule. This quiets incoming calls and notifications, with the option to enforce the setting strictly or only while a device is locked. The latter can be useful if you go out to late-night concerts, say, or have your phone on as a baby monitor. You can make exceptions for favorite contacts to avoid missing emergency calls.

If you don't already have a DND schedule, there's a menu under the top level of the Settings app. Pick a stretch when you know you'll be fast asleep -- you don't want to accidentally miss notifications when you're awake, or worse, get woken up by that 3 a.m. turn in Words With Friends.

Before leaving the DND menu, toggle on Bedtime mode. This is the option that makes the widget appear.

The Do Not Disturb dashboard.
The Do Not Disturb dashboard.

On waking up the next day, a weather summary should appear front and center when you pick up your iPhone, including a brief text forecast and current conditions. That's the only time the widget will show up, sadly -- maybe things will be different in iOS 13.
cornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Maybe a ‘show weather on lock screen’ setting would make more sense LOL - come on Apple, you need to step up usability testing rather than programmers creating some convultuted process.
    cornchipdocno42dysamoriabluefire1viclauyyccaladaniankkqd1337randominternetpersontoysandmejony0
  • Reply 2 of 16
    That’s some convoluted process just to get weather info to show up on the lock screen. I’m still waiting for Apple’s weather app icon to be dynamic. I use the Fahrenheit weather app because it uses the red app notification circle to display the temperature.
    dysamoriacaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 16
    jnpjnp Posts: 1member
    I find it strange that they chose to have the promo picture show “Good evening” which would mean the person had a DND schedule that ended at 10:15pm. While I am sure there are some people that use a DND schedule in the afternoon/evening but if saw the image before this article it would have looked to me like I was going to be able to see the weather all day(something I have wanted).  If it is only going to display it at the end of a DND schedule they should have shown a morning example which would be the most useful time for a weather summary to be displayed and probably the most common time for a scheduled DND to be ending.  Seems dumb and unintentionally missleading to me.
    docno42dysamoriamwhitestantheman
  • Reply 4 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    It's a neat trick, but yes, a lot of steps. How did anybody even find that? I think AI knew a guy.

I try to keep most of my Location Services stuff off because most apps don't need it to help me and it lessens the drain on the battery.

Having LS Always On for Weather when it's only seen the first time you pick up the phone for the day is a big waste. I'd like to see it all the time on the lock screen.

randominternetpersonbonobobstantheman
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I like this feature. I feel Apple should make it easier to enable, a toggle to show it on lock screen. Having to go into DND to enable it is a pain.
    docno42caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 16
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    Swipe right on the lock screen to see widgets, any of which can be weather. Or, there are lots of nightstand apps...
    dysamoriarandominternetperson
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I was wondering why it was on my iPad and not iPhone, now i guess i know why. 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Why would I go through this complicated process for a limited version of what I have when I swipe right to see widgets? I’m not at all a fan of having to swipe right for widgets and notifications, but Apple isn’t listening to usability advice. They already had the best setup in the past, but they seem to think they must keep changing things for the sake of change, just to promote new versions and phone sales...
    mwhite
  • Reply 9 of 16
    … so is there a way to set up Do Not Disturb so that it doesn't sync between devices? Like, can I DND my phone but not my watch, iPad, or Mac? That's kind of how I wanted it set up to begin with.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I can only imagine what Steve Jobs would have thought about this arduous process.
    edited October 2018 caladanianmacky the macky
  • Reply 11 of 16
    If the process is too convoluted then, from a practical perspective, it doesn't "just work".
    Should never have passed QA.

edited October 2018
  • Reply 12 of 16
    chudq.ca@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    It will cost you battery! No need to set it.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    It will cost you battery! No need to set it.
    Nonsense. I’ve had that setting on for a year or two and it’s done no such thing.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    lepton said:
    Swipe right on the lock screen to see widgets, any of which can be weather. Or, there are lots of nightstand apps...
    Thanks.  I had completely forgotten about this (and the swipe left to get to the camera).  
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    And I thought complications were just for the watches!  
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    macgui said:
    It's a neat trick, but yes, a lot of steps. How did anybody even find that? I think AI knew a guy.

I try to keep most of my Location Services stuff off because most apps don't need it to help me and it lessens the drain on the battery.

Having LS Always On for Weather when it's only seen the first time you pick up the phone for the day is a big waste. I'd like to see it all the time on the lock screen.

LS for weather is rather silly. Already have a primary weather location (the first one in your list of cities). Just need an option to toggle weather on lock screen.
    Unless you live on the road, moving your new location to the top of the list would be much easier.
    edited October 2018