Airport extreme

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just picked up a 12" PB maxed to 640megs and it is very cool. I have had to exist in the Dark side for a couple of years as real estate lives in an antiquated world as far as software is concerned. I have a G3 running 9.2, a Windoze XP, and my new PB. Anybody know ifi the Airport Extreme will act as a print server for all machines with some on the lan wired through the router. I have an SMC 7004BR router with an SMC access point that my iBook saw just fine, but I never figured out how to get the iBook to print. I'm a bit confused and would like to simplify this.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, wrong forum (probably Current Hardware or Genius Bar)

and Thirdly, yes getting the AirPort Extreme Base Station with LAN and USB ports should allow you to share to all.

Screed

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have a 12" PB on order. I'm excited to hear you have yours. I also maxed it out at 640 megs of ram have a 60giger in it plus I ordered Two Airport Extreme Cards One for My Dual 533 G4 and one, of course, For the PB. Can you give me an idea of what I'm in store for? Performance? Coolness? how do you like it?

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Sorry to inform you but I don't think you'll be able to use the new airports cards in the old G4 533.

They use MiniPCI and the G4's airport slot is PCMCIA
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I hopoe your wrong..

My Mac dealer never menitoned this would be a problem.. I'm going to make that phone call rigth now.

crossing my fingers.

flick.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    You can't use the AirPort Extreme cards in anything but the 12" and 17" PowerBooks. They're completely different. Your best bet would be a PCI, Ethernet or FireWire solution, when someone comes out with one.

Moving to General Discussion.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Airport Extreme also does not work with Mac OS 9 (it does work with Classic, though) which is part of the reason, I imagine, that the new PowerBooks do not boot into the old Mac OS.