Apple reveals first Thailand store ahead of opening on Saturday

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Wednesday offered a preview of its forthcoming Iconsiam outlet in Bangkok, Thailand, which will open on Saturday as the company's first retail presence in that country.

Apple Iconsiam, the tech giant's first Thailand store, will open its doors to customers this weekend, the company announced in a press release.

"Bangkok is a cultural and economic destination for the entire region and home to millions of passionate Apple customers," said Angela Ahrendts, Apple's senior vice president of Retail. "We are thrilled to introduce our Thai customers to Today at Apple, our full line of products, our phenomenal employees, and the service and support that are loved by customers around the world."

Connected to the ICONSIAM Center, a mixed-use facility located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Apple's new store features an open design with indoor greenery and display tables canopied by a high-flung ceiling supported by towering columns. Two large glass facades -- one in back and another out front -- give an airy feel to the store, which is located on an outdoor roof terrace.

Outside, a roof garden serves not only as a picturesque meeting place, but also an area ripe for Today at Apple photo and sketch walk sessions.

Indoor Today at Apple sessions will be held in a large Forum, complete with video wall and ample seating. Customers can also sit at bespoke wooden tables and chairs to learn about their newly purchased equipment or troubleshoot problems with Genius staff.

Apple Iconsiam was first spotted in October after months of rumors hinted the company would soon open a store in Thailand. The outlet provides locals access to unique Apple services, like the aforementioned Today at Apple sessions and Genius Grove, for the first time.

Along with Creative Pros and Geniuses, Apple Iconsiam employs more than 100 people, the company said.

Apple Iconsiam opens on Saturday at 10 a.m. local time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Not sure this high glass front is suitable to the country that can be extremely hot like Thailand. 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    matrix077 said:
    Not sure this high glass front is suitable to the country that can be extremely hot like Thailand. 

So you think the architects didn’t realise that Thailand can get really hot?

Do you also think that the architects may have designed Apple Park without realising it might need to survive an earthquake?

edited November 2018 racerhomie3mejsricronn
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Looks stunning. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    I’ll be there on Saturday. Will post some pictures. I live in Hua Hin which is 200km away...
    watto_cobraradarthekatpatchythepirateRayz2016tokyojimu
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:
    matrix077 said:

Do you also think that the architects may have designed Apple Park without realising it might need to survive an earthquake?

I’m not convinced. This one might not be that bad but the one at Central World Rachdamri which’s rumored to have cylinder glass like in Shanghai(?).. that one will be very interesting because I can tell you that area in April and May on 11:00 to 1:00 pm. it’s like a burning hell.
    Its very intriguing and I’ll be at both when I have available time. 
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    When I look at it the words "climate controlled" come to mind. I can imagine that would be very inviting if I was walking down a humid street!

I wonder how they keep the windows from fogging up?
    watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 7 of 15
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    ascii said:
    When I look at it the words "climate controlled" come to mind. I can imagine that would be very inviting if I was walking down a humid street!

Air conditioning has two purposes; it cools the air, and it removes moisture.  
    rossb2ronn
  • Reply 8 of 15
    ascii said:

I meant on the outside. If the aircon inside makes the glass cold, the tropical moisture outside will condense on the outside of the glass.

I don't think that will actually happen, they would have done something to prevent it, was just wondering what.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    matrix077 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    matrix077 said:

I’m not convinced. 
    Fairynuff  

But I’m going to lean towards the guys who are qualified architects with decades of experience and who have designed all the major retail outlets as well as the Apple Park Campus, rather than … er … you. 
    ronnpatchythepiratetokyojimu
  • Reply 10 of 15

ascii said:
    ascii said:

I meant on the outside. If the aircon inside makes the glass cold, the tropical moisture outside will condense on the outside of the glass.

I don't think that will actually happen, they would have done something to prevent it, was just wondering what.
    Their attention to detail is second to none, so they’ll have accounted for that. What has occasionally bitten them is problems with the environment control equipment, which is what led to the dagger-like icicles forming on the overhang on the Chicago Store. 
    edited November 2018 ronn
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

ascii said:
    ascii said:

There attention to detail is second to none, so they’ll have accounted for that. What has occasionally bitten them is problems with the environment control equipment, which is what led the dagger-like icicles forming on overhang on the Chicago Store. 
    Icicles, yikes! Of course if the trees in the Thailand store had a dusting of snow they might get *more* people coming in.
    ronn
  • Reply 12 of 15
    matrix077 said:
    Lots of fancy Thai hotels and malls have tall glass windows. Don't think that's an issue there.
    edited November 2018 ronn
  • Reply 13 of 15
    dt17dt17 Posts: 18member
    Hope this will mark big improvements in Apple services in Thailand like Maps, Siri and Etc
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:
    matrix077 said:

Rayz2016 said:

But I’m going to lean towards the guys who are qualified architects with decades of experience and who have designed all the major retail outlets as well as the Apple Park Campus, rather than … er … you. 
    While you have, in typical apologist fashion, brushed away the issues with the icicles at the Chicago store, we are well aware that this wasn’t an issue of malfunctioning environmental equipment (though it’s a good cover story to appease those that want to believe), but that wasn’t the only such oversight in store and building design the past several years. Since you have mentioned the spaceship campus in Cupertino - it also appears that those qualified architects and designers forgot to consider that glass is ... transparent. The points about the hell-style temperatures in Thailand are quite correctly made, and I will bet you that the designers and architects have designed this store from the comfort of their office in California and have never set foot into the Thailand before, or during the construction. In this case, I’d trust more people that are familiar with the country - which you clearly aren’t either.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    *crickets*