Disney's Netflix rival to launch in 2019 as Disney+

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2018
Following a takeover of 21st Century Fox, Disney is moving ahead with plans to launch a streaming service chock-full of blockbuster movies and TV shows pulled from its increasingly deep well of original content.

Disney

The new service will be branded Disney+ and is slated to debut in late 2019, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced in an earnings conference call on Thursday. Disney beat Wall Street expectations for its fiscal fourth quarter with $2.3 billion in net income on revenue of $14.3 billion.

CNBC reported Iger's announcement earlier today.

As expected, Disney+ will feature movies, shows and other content from a rich catalog that now includes Fox properties. Disney purchased the media giant for $71.3 billion in cash and stock in July.

In addition to an existing slate of shows, Disney plans to dabble in straight-to-streaming original series, a strategy adopted to great effect by Netflix. Upcoming shows include Marvel and Star Wars properties that focus on popular characters like Loki, played on the big screen by Tom Hiddleston. A "Rogue One" prequel centered on character Cassian Andor is also in the works, the report said.

Disney+ will also host original animated content like the next season of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" and a new series set in Pixar's "Monsters Inc." universe.

Disney announced plans to launch its own streaming product last year. The service is built on technology developed by BAMTech, an arm of Major League Baseball Advanced Media that develops and maintains direct-to-consumer streaming technology.

In revealing its streaming ambitions, Disney said it will pull all existing content currently available on Netflix starting in 2019.

Disney+ will join Disney's ESPN+, a sports-centric streaming service that launched in April.

Apple, too, is working on a slate of original content for a first-party streaming service expected to debut next year. Recent rumors suggest the tech giant's streaming efforts will be free to view through the TV app, while outside channels are to be offered on a subscription basis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Tower72Tower72 Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    Once this arrives, I am pretty sure I am saying good bye to Netflix..I do not watch much on it anyway aside from a few shows, and those keep going away so. Just wish they had an idea of the price. With all the ips they own, I hope its not to bad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Yup, it’s going to be interesting whether we keep Netflix, switch to Disney, and/or whatever Apple rolls out.  2019, year of the Streaming War. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I guess this is one streaming service I will not be on the fence about. I just won't subscribe!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Disney could now theoretically unify the Star Wars movies and put the 20th Century Fox fanfare in front of all of the Episodes. ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ThrashmanThrashman Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    It’s sad that Disney ruined the Star Wars franchise.

it will be very interesting to see what Apple brings to the table.  
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    See nothing of interest there. Star Wars is increasingly dull and over mined. Don’t care about the back catalog of Disney. 

The Apple stuff is far more interesting. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I totally cannot see any challenge to Netflix here unless all you watch is Disney / Marvel shows.  The headlines calling it the Netflix rival are just plain silly and simply click bait IMHO.  Yes it will be a nice additional service to have on occasions if they allow short time subscription like HBO do, I'd sign up for a month when grandchildren visit just as I have a month here and there of HBO when a full season of a few shows I want to binge watch is available but Netflix and Amazon Prime are the backbones here.

Despite being a huge Apple fan I suspect I'll be viewing Apple's coming streaming service in the same light ... no pun intended.

I confess we are kind of lucky in that our HOA fees include a cable HD service even though we don't use it at all ... other than using it to grant access on the Apple TV app to streaming from a load of content only available if you have a cable subscription.  
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 8 of 15
    MacPro said:
    I totally cannot see any challenge to Netflix here unless all you watch is Disney / Marvel shows.  The headlines calling it the Netflix rival are just plain silly and simply click bait IMHO.  Yes it will be a nice additional service to have on occasions if they allow short time subscription like HBO do, I'd sign up for a month when grandchildren visit just as I have a month here and there of HBO when a full season of a few shows I want to binge watch is available but Netflix and Amazon Prime are the backbones here.

Despite being a huge Apple fan I suspect I'll be viewing Apple's coming streaming service in the same light ... no pun intended.

I confess we are kind of lucky in that our HOA fees include a cable HD service even though we don't use it at all ... other than using it to grant access on the Apple TV app to streaming from a load of content only available if you have a cable subscription.  
    Disney has a back catalogue of movies and TV shows going back to the 50s, plus Touchstone Pictures, plus 20th Century Fox’s entire catalogue... I think they’ll have plenty of stuff for subscribers to watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    MacPro said:

Disney has a back catalogue of movies and TV shows going back to the 50s, plus Touchstone Pictures, plus 20th Century Fox’s entire catalogue... I think they’ll have plenty of stuff for subscribers to watch.
    As I said it's a great as an additional service to Netflix but I don't see it as a replacement which is what the term rival seems to imply. If it proves to be better obviously I'd switch but there are not enough hours in the day to have all these services even now and I'm retired!  lol.

BTW one great thing about early TV shows is they were shot on film so they can be digitized to HD and even 4K but sadly the advent of video recorders and cameras has doomed several decades to 640 x 480 pixels NTSC, PAL is a tad better not much on a 70" screen. A great example of this is the first ever Star Trek TV episode that is available in HD, once this pilot was done the rest of the shows are digital video at crappy resolutions by today's standards. I've been waiting for magic AI systems to be able to upscale for a long time in my dreams but magic isn't possible sadly.  
    edited November 2018 watto_cobraasdasdgatorguy
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

As I said it's a great as an additional service to Netflix but I don't see it as a replacement which is what the term rival seems to imply. If it proves to be better obviously I'd switch but there are not enough hours in the day to have all these services even now and I'm retired!  lol.

BTW one great thing about early TV shows is they were shot on film so they can be digitized to HD and even 4K but sadly the advent of video recorders and cameras has doomed several decades to 640 x 480 pixels NTSC, PAL is a tad better not much on a 70" screen. A great example of this is the first ever Star Trek TV episode that is available in HD, once this pilot was done the rest of the shows are digital video at crappy resolutions by today's standards. I've been waiting for magic AI systems to be able to upscale for a long time in my dreams but magic isn't possible sadly.  
    You will start to see a lot of content missing from Netflix sooner than later. It's why Netflix is starting to produce their own shows/movies now. Much of the 3rd party content that are owned by studios will slowly move onto their respective streaming platforms leaving Netflix with less and less.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

You will start to see a lot of content missing from Netflix sooner than later. It's why Netflix is starting to produce their own shows/movies now. Much of the 3rd party content that are owned by studios will slowly move onto their respective streaming platforms leaving Netflix with less and less.
    I agree. The good news is the homegrown Netflix productions are for the most part excellent, as are Amazon's.  In fact, I think that is the major change that is probably disrupting the entire industry.  Production studios contacting directly with companies like Netflix and Amazon is a huge shift in the business model of so many players. Cable companies intercepted the networks' cross county transmissions for decades and literally stole them
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Tower72 said:
    Once this arrives, I am pretty sure I am saying good bye to Netflix..I do not watch much on it anyway aside from a few shows, and those keep going away so. Just wish they had an idea of the price. With all the ips they own, I hope its not to bad. 
    Interesting to read your comment. I was just thinking "Once this arrives, I am pretty sure I am saying goodbye to Disney..."

I'm not inclined to start paying for yet another streaming service, and Netflix has lots of content I enjoy. If I have to choose one or the other, Disney loses.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Yawn.

Tell us when it: (i) actually arrives; and (ii) is (even reasonably) successful.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Netflix will be fine due to its crazy production of original content but it will be interesting to see if Amazon steps up to compete or caves.  It’s analogous to how Android took out all the third tier phones (BB, Windows phone etc).
  • Reply 15 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Huh. No one seems interested in what BAMtech actually delivers to the equation (Disney is majority owner and they didn't pay $B's for it for fun) or what effect it has on user tracking, privacy and data monetization now and even more so in the future once Hulu's ad tech/ user monetization from Disneys 20thCentury Fox acquisition comes into play for them too.

Just looking at the current partnerships with Acxiom, Oracle BlueKai, and LiveRamp for personally-linked data sharing should be enough to raise red-flags for those here who claim to be fearful of "being sold" and their privacy being stolen away by the likes of a public facing Facebook or Google.  Disney's family friendly arms offering a warm embrace of Advanced TV is putting you to sleep, while IdentityLink and other data tech will be helping them keep an eye on the place.  

Folks own too many sets of blinders, and have no clue what it actually happening behind the scenes. IMHO ditching Facebook/Google is akin to telling your in-laws to stay out of your personal business, but then letting the creepy dude in the dark house at the end of the street who never comes outside during the day and who you've never met  wire up your home for you at a bargain 'cause he's probably a nice guy who just wants to help out a neighbor.
    edited November 2018