Siri Shortcuts can now be used with the VW Car-Net app to remotely control a vehicle

Posted:
in iOS
Volkswagen has updated its Car-Net mobile app with deeper Siri integration to allow drivers to perform specific tasks remotely from their vehicle, enabling users to lock or unlock their car from far away just by asking Apple's digital assistant on an iPhone.

Infotainment unit from a 2018 VW Tiguan
Infotainment unit from a 2018 VW Tiguan

Announced on Monday, iPhones and iPads running iOS 12 can start to use Siri with the Car-Net app to control their vehicle. Once set up with the app, Siri can be used to change whether or not the car is locked, and to check the estimated mileage remaining for fuel, or for electric vehicles, how much charge is remaining.

If the driver has forgotten where the car is located in a parking lot, they can also ask Sir to flash or honk the car's horn so it can be more easily found.

There are also several shortcuts that can be enabled in Siri with personalized phrases, including commands to start or stop charging, to defrost the windows, to set the climate control temperature, and a "where is my car?" query.

"We are constantly looking at innovative ways to make VW Car-Net more convenient and relevant for our customers," advised Volkswagen EVP Global CIO Abdallah Shanti. "With Siri Shortcuts, creating voice commands to use with our mobile app was a great opportunity to do just that. Integration with Siri helps our drivers keep eyes on the road and hands on the wheel."

Car-Net covers a number of elements of car ownership, including the Car-Net Security and Service features that can automatically notify parties in the event of a crash, summon roadside assistance, and help locate stolen vehicles. It also provides remote vehicle access and status information by going through the app directly rather than through Siri, and can be used to view diagnostics and maintenance information, and to schedule dealer visits if required.

There is also an Apple Watch version of the app that provides access to many of the functions of the main iPhone app but from Apple's wearable device.

In March, Volkswagen commenced a promotion offering up to six months of free Apple Music access to new car buyers who register with the connected car service. CarPlay, Apple's in-car infotainment software that connects to iPhones, is also available in a number of the manufacturer's vehicles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    A number of car-makers have been doing these -- and much more -- for years. For example, check out Volvo.

I have an Audi, a subsidiary of VW. Their iOS app is plainly third-rate. And you can't even do a remote start of the vehicle, unlike with, say, a Volvo (a huge feature when you live in cold climates).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    "Siri where is the nearest repair facility?"
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "Siri, what are my emission levels?"

"I don't know. What did you last eat?"
  • Reply 4 of 5
    A number of car-makers have been doing these -- and much more -- for years. For example, check out Volvo.

I have an Audi, a subsidiary of VW. Their iOS app is plainly third-rate. And you can't even do a remote start of the vehicle, unlike with, say, a Volvo (a huge feature when you live in cold climates).
    And hot climates too.

I don’t think the horn blowing is neighbor though. Apple maps can locate your car if you have Bluetooth connected at shut down.

Many cars have remote starting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    razorpit said:
    "Siri where is the nearest repair facility?"
    If you are implying that VWs are unreliable, I beg to differ.

I am on my 2nd VW Golf as a daily driver and have had no problems regarding the quality or drivability of the car. 2 recalls, none impacting safety, operation or reliability, are the grand total from 2011 until now. 

My current model is a 2016 Golf and it included CarPlay standard- something BMW will change you $300 for these days. I work in healthcare and am subject to call and have to be there regardless of the weather or road conditions. The cars- a Mk 6 Golf and a Mk 7 Golf- have both went everywhere and done so without a hitch. I cannot say that about any American brand car I have owned, not any Japanese excepting Subaru.

In terms of long term reliability, VWs last a very long time.